PDA

View Full Version : Tour of Utah Postponed

AuntieK
03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
I read in the newspaper this morning that the Tour of Utah has been postponed due to management being "unable to secure the required level of sponsorship support needed to produce the multi-stage race they had planned."
It doesn't say when it was postponed to. I hope it's not being put off until next year! :eek: Hopefully later in the year. I didn't like the original date of the first week of July anyway (obvious reason ;) )

yellow
04-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Not just postponed...cancelled entirely according to Velonews. Sounds like somebody really screwed up. What a monumental disappointment! :(

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11962.0.html

AuntieK
04-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I so liked the word "postponed" better. :(

sulis
04-02-2007, 05:02 AM
My mom and I were discussing this over the weekend. Tour of Utah was a casulaty, Tour of Georgia is also struggling for sponsorship and I believe I remember reading about other US races struggling for finances.

Isn't it sad that great sports like cycling (and others) have to beg for sponsorship. But other sports receive ridiculous amounts of money - yes, I know its all supply and demand. But I still think there is no need for a basketball/football player/etc. to earn $40 million a year while other athletes like soccer players, cyclists, swimmers, etc have to beg companies to sponsor their events. Its a sad state of affairs in my book.

Of course, in my view no athlete is worth that much money - it should go to people who actually make a difference in the community like teachers, fire fighters and police officers. I think a basketball player could easily survive on a mere $2 to $3 million a year. But I won't go into all that.

AuntieK
04-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Well said, Sulis! Couldn't agree more.