PDA

View Full Version : Pan Mass - anyone from NYC? Advice?

Bklynmom
03-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi-
A friend convinced me to sign up for the Pan Mass, which will be my first century! I am a bit nervous once I realized what I had commited to, but I will do it. Had to get a new bike and everything. Anyone from NY area signed up?

I would also appreciate any and all Pan Mass advice! I am doing one day Sturbridge to Borne. Thanks.

Surlygirl
03-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Hang in there, I know some of the NE girls here have done the ride. They must be out riding and will probably reply shortly. Girls? Didn't want to think we were ignoring you. :D

newfsmith
03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
First of all, the big challenge of PMC is the fundraising. PMC is first and foremost a fundraiser for cancer research, the cycling is secondary. It is mind boogling the morning of the ride to realize that you are surrounded by a couple thousand cyclists who have ALL raised over $3000 for cancer research. That is your biggest challenge.

As far as the ride itself, the Sturbridge to Bourne ride is 110 miles. The hardest part is early in the route, that is where most of the long, steep hills are. To give you an idea of how steep, last year I hit 44 mph going down one of them. The rest stops are about every 20 miles. Besides your choice of gatorade or water, most of the stops have fruit, popsicles, energy bars, a medical tent, a mechanical tent, and lots of Porta-Potties. I usually stop at alternate rest stops, except I always stop at the last stop before Bourne. From there into Bourne there is less shade and you are getting there in the early afternoon when it may be pretty hot so you want to be sure all water bottles are full. If you can comfortably ride 80 miles by the end of June, you will probably be able to finish. Most riders like to century in June & mid July, then take shorter rides in the couple weeks before PMC. Most people finish between 2:00 and 4:00 pm, the last rider came in around 6:30 pm. Lots of riders leave the food to go greet the last rider in. The ride is so exciting you won't believe it.

Bklynmom
04-01-2007, 07:12 AM
I am planning on doing a metric century in May, and will look for a June/July century. Honestly the hills have me worried the most (although 44MPH downhill sounds fun).

I have a training book reccommended by the Pan Mass trainer, Fitness Cycling. They have a hill traing program, basically some very hard, some very quick etc. I was thinking of doing the hill thing (short very intense uphill rides) during the week, and a long ride each weekend. My longest ride so far is only 30 miles, and my hill MPH is very low - 7-9 MPH.

I greatly appreciate any and all advice!

PAP103
04-02-2007, 09:38 AM
This will be my 2nd year doing the PMC. I'm riding the 84 mile Wellesley to Bourne. Its a great ride with great support and tons of wonderful people - no matter how fast or slow you ride. For training this year, I'll ride 2 nights a week (one 19 mile and one 15 mile on rolling hills) and a longer ride on weekends. Just get out and ride as much as you can and increase your long ride every week or two.

The hardest part for me is the fundraising. Last year I raised just over 2400. This year the minimum is 2600. I've already started this year's fundraising.

Good luck with it all - you'll really enjoy the PMC weekend.