PDA

View Full Version : Brooks B17 "N" or Selle An-atomica

FreshNewbie
03-29-2007, 07:18 AM
So, after another not comfortable saddle I am finally looking into Brooks and Selle An-atomica. I am looking at Brooks B17 Narrow saddle and Selle An-Atomica saddles. Since I am not able to put any miles during weekdays and ride only on weekends, and brooks requires braking in period I am really scared that it will take me a loooong time to break it in. On the other hand Selle An-atomica is presoftened and might feel comfortable right away. What would you do?

SadieKate
03-29-2007, 07:27 AM
TE has a good return policy on the Selle An-atomica. I've never ridden mine more than 30-some miles because it's on my singlespeed which I only ride afterwork. But the thing didn't take any break-in at all.

I've never ridden a Brooks to compare.

FreshNewbie
03-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Yep TE has a great return policy. I guess considering that I don't ride enough to break it in pretty fast I would be better off with Selle An-Atomica. Darn, nashbar has brooks b17 "n" on sale for 60$ bargain!!!

KnottedYet
03-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Why do you want the B17 "N"? Are your sit-bones that narrow?

My Brooks took about 40 miles to break in. And actually it was extraordinarily comfortable right out of the box, as I got a saddle that really was the right size for me for probably the first time EVER! (Brooks B67)

Wallingford Bicycle Parts www.wallbike.com gives a 6 month trial period for all the Brooks saddles. You can return it within 6 months, no questions asked.

Most members of the TE Brooks Cult get their saddles from Wallingford.

FreshNewbie
03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Knotted, I am on a narrower side. I had Specialized jett in 144 mm and it was a good size for me except that saddle just HURTs. So 177 mm would be a little too wide for me. I am trying to save a little money right now for my vacation in may, so that's why I am attracted to Nashbar deal on B17 N. Although, if Selle anatomica is a better saddle for me I will definately buy it.

KnottedYet
03-29-2007, 09:06 AM
The B17N and the Titanico sound like they are going to be about the same width, which is very cool for you. At least all you have to consider and compare are cut-out, leather firmness, and cost.

From a cost standpoint, $60 for a Brooks vs. $145 for the An-Atomica.... well, I'd go for the Brooks. (but I'm a member of the Brooks Cult! :D )

BTW the B17N is $94 at Wallingford. Even if you don't like the Brooks, I'm betting you could sell it for close to what Nashbar is asking on ebay or TE or Craig's.

You might consider contacting Mimitabby. She has Brooks and An-Atomica. One of her Brooks is 30 years old and still going strong.

SadieKate
03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I can't track all of the Brooks saddles. Some have very short rails which can make the fore/aft position difficult. The Selle An-atomica has long 10 cm rails.

Just info to help you make a decision based on where you need to put the saddle.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-29-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking the B17 "N" would be too narrow for just about ANY woman. The regular width B17 would probably fit you great. I have the B17"S" which is slightly wider for women, and it's really too narrow for me.
Your hips are not narrower than most GUY's hips, are they? If they are not, then you should opt for the regular B17. You want your sitbones to rest WITHIN the saddle metal frame edges, not directly ON the frame edge. If your bones sit ON the frame edge, they will not be able to create the leather indents that makes these Brooks saddles so comfortable for your individual butt once they are broken in.
If you apply lots of Proof-Hide (order it along with your Brooks saddle) in the first weeks, it shouldn't take long to break it in to the point where it's comfortable. And as Knot mentioned, you can return it.

FreshNewbie
03-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Lisa, you raised a great question. Just measured my sit bones with white paper, and they come out to 5' and 3/4 inches. I guess B17 would be too narrow for me so best bet would be to go with Brooks B17 regular and I can always either return or sell. The rails are 8cm long on Brooks b17 which is a big difference I guess, but since it's better for me width wize.... Thanks for all your help, will order Brooks today and see how it will like my butt.

KnottedYet
03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
I can't track all of the Brooks saddles. Some have very short rails which can make the fore/aft position difficult. The Selle An-atomica has long 10 cm rails.

Just info to help you make a decision based on where you need to put the saddle.

I think the sprung Brooks saddles have the shorter rails. The usable rails on my B67 (with springs) are only about 9 cm. I still have maybe 1/2-1 cm that I could scoot the saddle back if I needed, but it is almost as far back as it will go.

FreshNewbie
03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
So, just ordered standard B17 saddle from walbike, actually the standard one was the same price as nashbar's. Ordered the maintainance kit along with it. So how often should I apply that greasy stuff on the saddle, and where do I apply it? Just under the saddle or on top too?

mimitabby
03-29-2007, 10:56 AM
they telll you to apply it to the top only but i put it on the underside too.

Grog
03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking the B17 "N" would be too narrow for just about ANY woman. The regular width B17 would probably fit you great. I have the B17"S" which is slightly wider for women, and it's really too narrow for me.
Your hips are not narrower than most GUY's hips, are they?

Saddle size has to do with sitbone distance, not hips.

I don't have that big hips but they're there. However my sitbones are really close to each other and any wide saddle is very uncomfortable to me.

melissam
03-29-2007, 01:37 PM
So, just ordered standard B17 saddle from walbike, actually the standard one was the same price as nashbar's. Ordered the maintainance kit along with it. So how often should I apply that greasy stuff on the saddle, and where do I apply it? Just under the saddle or on top too?

Hey there, FreshNewbie! Here's wishing you many happy miles on your B17. I'm a big Brooks and Wallbikes fan -- I have a B17 on my mtn. bike, a B17S on my Trek road bike, and a Team Pro S on my newly resurrected Bianchi road bike. Here's the drill as far as proof hide goes on non-aged saddles like yours:

1. When you get the saddle, put the proof hide on the top & bottom of the saddle. Wait a while and use the provided rag to buff off the top. (You don't have to buff off the bottom.)

Bonus points: proof hide the bottom before mounting it on the bike. ;)

2. The proof hide helps the saddle be less slippery during the break in period.

3. I put proof hide on the top of my saddle every week or so for the first month of ownership. You'll notice that the first few times you use proof hide, it dries to a matted finish that shines up nicely when you buff it. After a few applications of proof hide, you'll notice that it stays shiny. I take that as a sign that it's had enough of the initial proof hide applications, and you can go into maintenance mode.

4. Maintenance mode: Depending on your climate, you should only have to apply proof hide every 6 months to a year.

Your saddle will come with maintenance instructions that say pretty much what I've said, but in more charming, British English. :)

-- Melissa

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
My own advice is to Proofhide both sides liberally before putting the saddle on, then do another application like every other day for a week or two of riding, then slowly less often until it feels totally confortable and you can see sitbone dents- eventually just once every other month or so. Do not continue to ride the saddle if it gets sopping wet in the rain! Let it dry before riding again.

Expect to feel some soreness for the first few rides on a new Brooks- your butt actually adapts to the saddle as well as the other way around. ;)

FreshNewbie
03-30-2007, 05:28 AM
:D Thank you all. I will follow your instructions on proofhiding it. Also, how should I level the saddle. Did you find that it should be completely level across the saddle or the nose part should be level? Thanks again

KnottedYet
03-30-2007, 05:33 AM
I leveled the nose. The back comes up slightly, but I have springs under the back. I think others have mentioned levelling the nose on the un-sprung saddles, too.

I guess start by levelling the nose, then tweak it as needed. A little tilt will make a huge difference. (and don't forget the proofhide!:D )

FreshNewbie
03-30-2007, 06:03 AM
proofhide , proofhide, proofhide ( slowely repeating to myself while waiting for a mailman) ;)

mimitabby
03-30-2007, 06:30 AM
and proofhide is good for the skin of your hands!

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah what they said. Level the whole nose part, and the back edge will be just a bit higher because it swoops up a bit at the back edge. If you feel yourself slding forward too often then tip the nose up 1/8" or so, then ride again. If you feel your front girly bits are getting too mashed then tip the nose down a bit. Find the perfect balance slowly. Start with the saddle sitting right in the middle of its rails (forward/backward) and only make adjustments one at a time, slowly.
Every tiny adjustment will make a significant difference. Wear a good chamois and put something like chamois butter or hand cream on so your "bits" can adjust and change position if they need to as you ride. Prevents chafing, etc.

Expect it to feel slippery for the first couple of weeks, and expect to be sore at least the first few rides. Your sitbones will stop feeling sore after a week- it's like when you first start doing anything different physically- you are sore at first then it's ok.

Love my B17! But one day I will get a B67 like Knot, because my sitbone dents are touching the edges of the saddle frame, and I know it should be wider.

merryn ferguson
04-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Knotted, I am on a narrower side. I had Specialized jett in 144 mm and it was a good size for me except that saddle just HURTs. So 177 mm would be a little too wide for me. I am trying to save a little money right now for my vacation in may, so that's why I am attracted to Nashbar deal on B17 N. Although, if Selle anatomica is a better saddle for me I will definately buy it.

I had at first tried the 148 in the jett and it felt like I was giving birth thru the pelvis area so then went up to the 155 and it made a huge difference and they are great for about 40 miles and then I just squirm for whatever amount of miles I ride on it after that......they just hurt after about 40 miles and Im trying to complete a double I would like at least 60 or 80 miles before the squirms

Kitsune06
04-09-2007, 10:48 AM
...and b17s would be ok for a road bike? I'm trying to talk X into succumbing to the Brooks side with her road bike....

BleeckerSt_Girl
04-09-2007, 11:14 AM
...and b17s would be ok for a road bike? I'm trying to talk X into succumbing to the Brooks side with her road bike....

Absolutely! They are designed for touring long distances, and are narrow nosed, with drops bar posture in mind.

freshsushi
04-09-2007, 03:08 PM
The first time I rode my B17 (regular), it rubbed my girly bits raw. I couldn't sit at work very comfortably, everything hurt. This continued for about 3 or 4 more rides - it did slowly get easier and easier, but it really hurt. Out of desperation, I googled up ways to break in your saddle, and someone suggested soaking a towel in water and placing it on your seat.

Whatever you do, don't do that!!! Just tough it out!!!! I did put the towel onto my seat for about 10 minutes, and it did break in just perfect by the very next ride, but I noticed a weird little rough spot the other day - and I'm pretty sure that the wet-towel break in was the reason. I proofhided it, so hopefully that'll prolong the saddle a little bit, but I really don't want to replace this saddle now that it's perfect.

mimitabby
04-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Kit, I have a B67 on MY road bike!!

KnottedYet
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
If X likes to steer her bike with her thighs on the bike nose, she might prefer a B17 rather than a B17 Short. ("s" is for "short")

If she rides in skorts, she might like the B17S more. I ride in skirts, but I prefer to use the nose of the saddle to help me control the bike. And in all honesty, the skirts never catch on the full-length nose of my B67. (now, the back of my capris sometimes snag, but not my skirts. I chalk that up to me just being clumsy.)

Kitsune06
04-09-2007, 03:54 PM
call me a noob, but steering w/ the thighs is more a road thing than a mtb thing, isn't it? I think back on all my riding with mz cakes and I don't remember ever really using my thighs to do much steering-wise... but in the drops etc I'd assume turning would involve much more weight-lean, and to that end, the thighs would be more important...

KnottedYet
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
It might just be a personal riding-style thing.

I rarely use the drops, but I use my thighs to control the bike.

I tried one of those "noseless" saddles many years ago (on my mtb), and nearly crashed because I couldn't control the bike the way I was used to.

mtkitchn
05-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Does anyone have experience with both the Brooks line and selle anatomica? I have a selle anatomica titanico which I absolutely hate. There's way too much saddle and it cuts off the circulation to my legs (too much of a pear shape?). I like the feel of the leather, though. Is a Brooks saddle narrower in the nose and through the middle part of the saddle?

I bought the selle off TE because I heard of a great return policy, but when I got it the package said that if it showed signs of being mounted I couldn't return it. So now I'm stuck with it or have to sell it on ebay! :eek: But anything to get rid of it.

KnottedYet
05-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Somewhere there is a picture of the topside of my B67. they are very "T" shaped, narrow narrow nose, abrupt transition to sit-bone perch. (the whole B66/B67/B68 line is like that)

Mine has never rubbed me raw like my Serfas Niva saddle.

If you get a Brooks from www.wallbike.com you have six months no questions asked to try it out.

MimiTabby has experience with both the Brooks and the An-Atomica. (she prefers Brooks)

Can you email SusanO and ask if you can still return the An-Atomica?

Eden
05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
A tip I heard if you want to try a saddle with the idea you may want to return it. Wrap the rails in electrical tape before you mount it so that they will not get scratched - then you can likely take it off with no signs that it has been used.

Kitsune06
05-18-2007, 08:37 AM
:confused: ok so I threw the saddle with a cut-out on... It seems like I need to just decide what level discomfort I'm ready to deal with. The cutout was a blessing. I could stop, slow down, etc, without mashing my bits (and for good measure I wore all my 'jewelry' because this was only a 2mi ride so I wanted to figure for 'worst case scenario'. Didn't even feel the jewelry. Amazing.

However, the rear was too narrow (or something?) and felt like it was pressing hard on the insides of my thighs... I don't know how to describe it. It was very unlike the firm support of the Brooks.

I'm wondering how much narrower the An-Atomica is than the B-17 standard... but I'm thinking hard about that an-atomica now.

dex
05-18-2007, 09:15 AM
If the Selle An-Atomica turns out to be too narrow for you, I did notice on the maker's site (http://mcmwin.com/sa ddle%20shop%20new.htm (http://mcmwin.com/saddle%20shop%20new.htm) -- about halfway down the page, mixed in with the other items) that they also do modifications/"upgrades" to Brooks saddles. So, you might be able to get the width that you like in the Brooks, but the benefit of the cut-out. Just another option to think about?

Kitsune06
05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
it is... the thing is- I'm anxious that maybe what if I don't like the cut-out... can't put the leather back, so to speak... :( I wonder how many people try the an-atomica and hate it?

FreshNewbie
05-18-2007, 11:09 AM
I would assume that a lot of people like it since I never seen one being sold on Ebay. The only reason I didn't get it is because it seems too narrow and also the fact that it's not very durable considering that because of htat cut out this saddle seems to just sink in.
I put Specialized Avatar in 155 width and it was perfect on my first ride. When I do a longer ride I will let you know how it feels.

bikerz
05-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I got an an-atomica in January on Sadie Kate's recommendation, and I like it, so far.

I have had a really tough time finding a saddle over the last couple of years, and the An-atomica, when it's right, is really great. The only thing that has happened, and only once, is that on the Wine Country Century ride last week, between the saddle and the shorts I was wearing (and maybe some minor misalignment?) I was a hurting puppy from the first 100 yards to the last of 40 miles. But it's been fine on subsequent rides - that chaffing on the sides was the only real problem.

If that saddle were more t-shaped than pear shaped (without the flared sides), I think it would be perfect. I like the cut out, and its length, and that it is so firm. And I have two divits on the saddle now from my sitbones, so that will help with measurements, and figuring out what width saddle I really need.

I am thinking that part of my saddle trouble has been poor bike fit, so I am looking forward to trying the selle an-atomica on my new bike, and seeing how that goes, and then, if it doesn't seem right, maybe tracking back through some of my other saddles I've tried. The next best saddle was the Selle San Marco Aero (or was it the Atola? Can't remember :o ). That was a narrow firm saddle with a cutout. The terry butterfly, on the other hand, was a torture device for me, so not all cutouts are created equal. I might give the Brooks another go as well, but I don't want to change too many things at once.

Finding a saddle - what a trial!

Kitsune06
05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
The slit doesn't pinch your bits?

divingbiker
05-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I wonder how many people try the an-atomica and hate it?

When I called Tom (phone number on the web site Dex mentioned above) he said that nobody ever returns them. Oops, I did. They've got a 30 day return policy if you order directly from them, so there's little risk. (The web site says to call them to talk about what you need before ordering so that you can return the saddle if necessary, but he didn't say much during the phone call so I don't really know what that's about.)

Kitsune06
05-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm just trying to assess the risk involved in sending my beloved brooks in to get pruned...

divingbiker
05-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm just trying to assess the risk involved in sending my beloved brooks in to get pruned...

Ahhh, got it. I found the slit to be comfortable, with no pinching of the bits when wearing shorts with chamois.

KnottedYet
05-18-2007, 07:13 PM
it is... the thing is- I'm anxious that maybe what if I don't like the cut-out... can't put the leather back, so to speak... :( I wonder how many people try the an-atomica and hate it?

MtKitchen "absolutely hates" her An-Atomica Titanico. Maybe she'll sell it to you?

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Aren't the an-atomica saddles made from much thinner more flexible leather than the Brooks saddles?? I can't imagine that cutting a slit in a Brooks would make much difference in terms of the girly bits pressing the leather down. If the problem pressure area is up near the nose anywhere I would think it would make even less difference.
Also, if you cut your Brooks you won't ever be able to sell it for much if you decide you don't like it. Just a thought....:o

KnottedYet
05-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Kit, before you send your beloved Brooks in to get slaughtered, can I ask a really stupid question?

You've probably already dealt with this... so forgive me.

You did level only the NOSE of your Brooks, right? So that the nose is level, and the back flares upward? (the back rivets will be higher than the nose)

Kitsune06
05-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I've experimented pretty thoroughly w' saddle tilt. It just still mashes the h*ll out of my bits. Especially up front. Level, tipped up, tipped down I slide forward and put too much weight on my hands...

i'm just getting sick of having my bits rubbed raw. Even curled tight with tight abs, tucking tailbown down as low as I can in the 'pelvis neutral' position, when I get into the drops, things 'heat up' down there from friction and I know if I go more than 20-30 miles, things will be chafed beyond recognition.

KnottedYet
05-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Are your bars too low?

Kitsune06
05-19-2007, 10:15 AM
The tops of my bars are perhaps an inch or 2 lower than my seat. It's not, by any means, a 'relaxed touring position'... but I've seen a *lot* of bikes with much more of a difference in seat height in relation to handlebar height... :confused:

FreshNewbie
05-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Kitsune sounds like you are having exactly the same problem I was having with my Brooks :( Hope it works out for you, saddle search is such a PITA

KnottedYet
05-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I guess you are faced with giving the Brooks back to Miz Cakes (it didn't bother you in the upright position, right?) and seeking out a cut-out saddle for Merqueri.

Trek420 has a Selle Italia on Menace that she really likes. Her 3 year old saddle is only now starting to wear out, even after all those ALC rides. It's not too padded/not too firm. Of course, it is WAAAAAAAY too small for me, but it seemed like a nice saddle.

I have a Serfas Niva (the one I was riding on the TE to Redhook ride) that I'd be happy to send you when my 2nd Brooks arrives.

And Quillfred has my old Fizik. She's not using it. Maybe she could send it to you? Or maybe I could get it back from her and send it with the Serfas. It doesn't have a cut-out, so I don't know if it would be an improvement, but it might help.

I've also got the Velo Plush that came on my Kona Smoke. It's a surprisingly decent saddle. Long narrow nose with a groove. No cut out, but also no support under the groove. (like the nose has a cut out, but the cushion and cover are over it) The plastic undercarriage is cut away. Decent width at the sit-bones. It's a bit more pear-shaped. I could send that, too.

Kitsune06
05-19-2007, 12:00 PM
The reason I was thinking of the An-Atomica was because I love the feel of leather- the very firm feel but 'give'... I've never felt anything like it in any 'synthetic' saddle I've tried. Even if I went with the ED cut... I dunno. just need the pressure of the 'bits. the orchid is rather generously petaled if ya kwim. it goes well beyond the semi-retired piercing... =(

Eden
05-19-2007, 12:05 PM
The reason I was thinking of the An-Atomica was because I love the feel of leather- the very firm feel but 'give'... I've never felt anything like it in any 'synthetic' saddle I've tried. Even if I went with the ED cut... I dunno. just need the pressure of the 'bits. the orchid is rather generously petaled if ya kwim. it goes well beyond the semi-retired piercing... =(

You might just really like a Specialized Jett - very firm - almost zero padding, but is built so that each side of it can flex independently - so its not like riding a leather and or plastic wrapped brick, nice sized cut out - no girly bit rub or pressure and comes in several different widths

Andrea
05-20-2007, 12:11 PM
After reading a lot of positive things on here and other places, I ordered an An-atomica. It should be in this week, and I'm hoping that it's the magic fix I've been looking for. It seems like it may be kind of wide, but when I talked to Tod, he insisted that the Titanico would be better than any of the other models. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Kitsune- I understand what you mean about the "well-petaled" orchid... which is part of my issue with finding a comfortable saddle!

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey, don't assume that those of us with no comfort problems on our saddles are not "well petaled"! :eek: :rolleyes: The bloom ain't off the rose yet!
We all have different bike sizes, bike geometry, angles, body positions and proportions, and saddle positions...the variations are almost endless, as are the solutions.
The mashing of frontal bits does tend to occur more with bikes that have high saddles and low handlebars, however. After all, that position tends to tilt one's whole body forward off the sitbones and onto the pubic bone area. There is a price to pay for an extreme racing bike position, which seems to be more and more what is sold these days. Hopefully everyone can find their own combination of elements that can help alleviate the problem a bit. Perhaps a combination of two or three factors....

bikerz
05-21-2007, 07:51 AM
The slit doesn't pinch your bits?

(Sorry Kit, just saw this question...)

No, not now. The first ride it did a little, and I think it was because I didn't have the tilt right. I don't notice the cut-out at all now.

You can take an exacto knife and trim the leather edges of the cut out so it isn't sharp, and also buff the edges, but I haven't done that.

I have had to retension it a few times - I'm almost certain that the saddle got too slack, causing the sides to flare out too much, and this caused the side-chaffing issue I experienced on the Wine Country Century ride. It's possible that I'll max out the tension screw, but I read somewhere that if that happens, they will fix it somehow.

On yesterday's ride I was plagued by a creaking with every pedal stroke, so I think I need to add some dry lube to the contact points and the tension screw.

But, I think this may well be the saddle for me, if the tensioning works out.

I am curious about the idea of lacing the An-Atomnica - I know people have done that with their Brooks to adjust the width and stiffness.

Andrea - I hope you like your saddle!

Kitsune06
05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I want to know why some people are so anti-an-atomica...

BikerZ I was thinking of butchering my Brooks anyway (the one where you "swallow-ize" it to make a slimmer profile like the Swallow has) I'd imagine that would cut down on 'flaring' but I'd imagine lacing would be possible, too. I'd limit how tight you lace, though, and be careful to waterproof/grease your laces fairly regularly. Leather held tight like that can "dry rot". :(

This should probably go on a different thread, but very quickly, how would I go about raising my handlebars? I already have a decent degree of 'lift' in my stem as it is. I'm concerned that I won't have enough room on the steerer tube to add spacers etc... :confused:

Andrea
05-21-2007, 11:13 AM
This should probably go on a different thread, but very quickly, how would I go about raising my handlebars? I already have a decent degree of 'lift' in my stem as it is. I'm concerned that I won't have enough room on the steerer tube to add spacers etc...

If you don't have room for spacers, you can get a stem that has an angle to it. If you already have that, then I'm not really sure :confused:

bikerz
05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
BikerZ I was thinking of butchering my Brooks anyway (the one where you "swallow-ize" it to make a slimmer profile like the Swallow has) I'd imagine that would cut down on 'flaring' but I'd imagine lacing would be possible, too. I'd limit how tight you lace, though, and be careful to waterproof/grease your laces fairly regularly. Leather held tight like that can "dry rot".

Since I would be lacing it to make the sides narrower, I'm a little worried that the laces themsleves would be what I rubbed against. Thanks for the tip about protecting the laces - I'm considering that butchering as a last resort!

I like the look of those "swallow-ized" saddles quite a bit!

Kitsune06
05-21-2007, 03:15 PM
That's the beauty of leather. If you keep oiling the laces on the outside (where you'd get thigh rub) they'll soften and flatten against the side. HOWEVER they would still be raised just a bit and thus not quite as smooth as the regular sides o' the brooks. That and don't get that softening oil on the rest of the saddle or you'll get sag... =P oh the delicate balance... :rolleyes:

bikerz
05-21-2007, 03:23 PM
The sides of my selle anatomica are not as vertical as the brooks, and looking at the anatonica website, in some of the photos the saddle sides look much more vertical than mine do. Maybe it's just a matter of time before they mold that way.

It seems like if I could lace it in tightly, to make more of a "T" shape, it would be perfect, but I'm nervous about messing with it!

Kitsune06
05-21-2007, 03:33 PM
The sides of my selle anatomica are not as vertical as the brooks, and looking at the anatonica website, in some of the photos the saddle sides look much more vertical than mine do. Maybe it's just a matter of time before they mold that way.

It seems like if I could lace it in tightly, to make more of a "T" shape, it would be perfect, but I'm nervous about messing with it!

My thought - to be taken with a grain of salt and maybe a margarita- would be to put 4-5 holes ~1/4-1/2" apart along the flared part, 1/2" up from the edge and lace that way. It allows the safeguard that if the lacing is not what you'd hoped and dreamed it would be you can remove it, and if the removal leaves it very rough, you can still trim that 1/2" at the tops of the punches, 'swallowizing' it minimally. Also having it only 1/2" up means that you'll have enough leather *beneath* the laces to brace the lacing properly and support the structural integrity of the saddle itself.

I'm not sure how it's tied, tho. You'd have to look at that again to see. Another thing you could try is smoother (i.e. flat) shoe/boot laces. They'd be strong and yet lay flat against your leather seat. As the saddle attempts to flare around the stitching it would pull the lacing into it and effectively (eventually) inlay the lacing just a bit, reducing rubbing. ...just a thought.

mimitabby
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
kit
what's scary about cutting the sella anatomica is that since it has a slit in the middle, iff you pull it tight with laces, that slit is going to change. On a brooks
the saddle is a whole entity and your laces aren't going to mess with the integrity of the saddle.
Bottom line, it's hard to cut something up that you just paid over $100 for.
:confused:

Kitsune06
05-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Yes, this is true. I probably couldn't 'swallowize' my B-17 after I had it an-atomicated.... :(

I'm just thinking, you said Raleighdon's slit molded shut after awhile, I'm wondering if tying it would re-open it and restore it to the original position? When I looked at/felt it, it seemed like the Anatomica's leather was a lot thinner than that of the Brooks. All that said, though... I admit. It's much easier to theorize about such things but I'd be sweating bullets seriously contemplating such things.

mimitabby
05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
it didn't really "mold" shut, it just sort of shut.. you could pry it open.
and yes, you could TIE it so that would open, but since it's leather (waterproof or not) it's going to change and stretch over time. Fortunately you are a light weight, AND you're not going to do as many 200 mile rides as Raleighdon does so i think the saddle would be more apt to keep its own shape unless of course you alter it yoursellf :cool:

bikerz
05-21-2007, 03:50 PM
On further consideration (and mimi, it had occurred to me that messing with the sides might mess up the slot behavior - that's a good caution!) I have decided to postpone even thinking more about changing my saddle until I have my new bike and have the fit dialed in for it.

I did a little digging on the selle anatomica site and found that the memos they issue to their dealers (http://www.selleanatomica.com/dealer%20memos.htm) have a ton of useful adjustment information, so I'll be looking at those very carefully as I'm getting settled on my new bike.

Kitsune06
05-21-2007, 04:00 PM
I wonder if it'd be prudent for high-mileage riders to get the clydesdale option?

mimitabby
05-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I owe Knottedyet an apology. She was right and too polite to challenge me.

It says clearly on the website that the selle an-atomica has 3 sizes. How odd is it that when i talked to the guy at expo (who says he is the man who makes them ), what a month ago? did not tell me there were different sizes . I said "I don't like them because this size is too narrow."
He COULD have said "we're about to start making 3 sizes"

but instead he said something like "95% of the people like that size"

sorry Knot, I guess I am better edujmakated now.

KnottedYet
05-21-2007, 07:02 PM
BikerZ - one of the things I like so much about my Brooks B67 (B66, B68) is that it's already T-shaped. Pear-shapes with the flaring sort of sides like the B17 or the Selle An-Atomica give me.... discomfort.

Terry Sport (not made anymore) had a nice T shape, too. If you've got a used bikes shop nearby see if they have one floating around. They have a nice narrow nose (the cut-out is only in the underlying plastic, so the nose can be much narrower than the current Terry saddles.)

bikerz
05-22-2007, 08:11 AM
I think the flaring might have been a question of poorly adjusted tension - the sides haven't bothered me at all on the last few rides, and lord knows I've got some big thighs to move past all that saddle!

I'll be on my new bike this weekend (hope, hope, hope!) and I'm curious to see how it all comes together!

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Just thought I would mention that I am selling my Brooks B17S saddle here:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=204843#post204843
I am happy with the ultra-wide B68 I recently got to accomodate my wider sitbones. The B17S was very comfy for me for a year, but I always knew I'd be even better off on a wider saddle.

Kitsune06
05-24-2007, 08:11 AM
just an update... I threw on a 1/2" spacer and scooched up my saddle (the Brooks) a half-inch. The ride in today was actually pretty nice. The handlebars are probably within a half-inch or an inch of being even with the saddle. I felt much more like I could 'play the piano' so to speak. Still a pain in the azz to have to consciously curve my spine to keep in pelvis-neutral position. How do you do deep belly breathing when you're using your core to hold everything 'together'?

Ideally, I want this bike to be comfy enough to tour on... Yes she's aluminum, but I think... think... think? that I could find a way to tour on her... at least light-load touring. Weekend trips and the like.

Compared to my other saddle, the Brooks is still a touch of heaven, it really is. Now I can still 'knock' on it, but I can squish it down with the heel of my hand, etc... Nice butt dimples, too :D

The An-Atomica still fascinates me, though.

bikerz
05-24-2007, 08:21 AM
After yesterday's ride I realized I hadn't noticed the An-Atomca saddle at all. That was a first.

I don't want to jinx myself, but maybe, after nearly 3000 miles of riding and 7 or 8 (or 9?) saddles, I might have finally found a saddle!

Kit - good luck with youor Brooks, but if it doesn't work out, you might like the An-Atomica.

Andrea
05-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I got the shipping notice for my an-atomica last night, so now I just have to wait for it to make its way from Wisconson to Memphis via postal mail. I hope it gets here soon- I've currently got about a 40 mile range before everything down there starts hurting.