PDA

View Full Version : 07 Tour de Madison, y'all come!

IFjane
03-29-2007, 06:09 AM
The flyer for our local road ride is finally out. Attached is a copy. Please note the ride distances listed are NOT ACCURATE. In fact, we are supposed to have 25, 45 & 62 mile options. Sorry no online registration - just snail mail. Hope to see lots of TE'rs there!

aicabsolut
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Any deadline for registering?
I'm not sure if I'll be around here then or if I'll be taking a little vacation back home. Looks like fun! I love getting out of the city.

IFjane
03-30-2007, 06:20 AM
They are asking for registrations to be in by May 4. Hope you can make it - it's laid-back & lots of fun. :)

Batbike
04-01-2007, 04:47 PM
IFjane, I am surprised you have this listed in the Mid-Atlantic region. Well, it doesn't matter ... sounds like a good ride! I plan on coming and bringing a friend or two!

See ya in May!

IFjane
04-03-2007, 05:36 AM
IFjane, I am surprised you have this listed in the Mid-Atlantic region. Well, it doesn't matter ... sounds like a good ride! I plan on coming and bringing a friend or two!

See ya in May!

Bat - I'm trying to lure some of the Washington DC/Maryland riders here to see the sights. ;)

Kalidurga
04-04-2007, 12:23 PM
IFjane, I am surprised you have this listed in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Hmmm... I grew up in VA and I've always thought of it as a mid-Atlantic state.

7rider
04-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Hmmm... I grew up in VA and I've always thought of it as a mid-Atlantic state.

My work deals with a group, the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, which covers New York through Virginia - so that's always been my "default" view of the mid-Atlantic region.

Just cuz the Metro-D.C. gals are a chatty bunch (who, me??), don't think we have a sole claim on this place! :p

Of course, I have a very parochial view of travel in this area. My stomping grounds are Maryland and north. Anything south of D.C. kind of freaks me out. Baby steps, for me. Is the ride day-trip-able from D.C.?

HillSlugger
04-05-2007, 05:56 AM
My work deals with a group, the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, which covers New York through Virginia - so that's always been my "default" view of the mid-Atlantic region.
I grew up in NY state. We didn't really consider ourselves as New England or Mid-Atlantic, but I don't know what that made us.

Is the ride day-trip-able from D.C.?

I can get to Richmond in about 2.5 hours, so this is probably similar, certainly under 3, if you avoid rush hour.

divingbiker
04-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Anybody want to carpool down to do the Tour de Madison? I can take 3 bikes on my car. Mapquest shows it to be about 90 miles/2 hours from Takoma Park.

7rider
04-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, well, New York IS its own special case, MDHS!! :rolleyes: :D

"Ready to ride at 9:30" means departing TP around 6:30 a.m. I'd be up for an early start, DB, but I'll need to consult with my other half (it's unlikely he'd want to make the trek with me/us.).

I'd love to see Madison - and other areas around here!

Kalidurga
04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
IFJane, didn't you say in some other thread that Madison is near Winchester?

7rider
04-06-2007, 02:50 AM
IFJane, didn't you say in some other thread that Madison is near Winchester?

Hope you don't mind if I reply to this....
According to my trusty MapQuest, it's down Route 29, southwest of Alexandria, just before Charlottesville (aicabsolut? Will you be there?), due east of Harrisonburg. Hope that helps!

aicabsolut
04-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I may be in Cville, maybe DC, or maybe far away in GA. Not sure yet.

From the District, Madison should be about 1-1.5hrs. (Culpepper is 45min or so from Cville).

Just take I-66W and catch 29S at Gainesville.

aicabsolut
04-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Anybody want to carpool down to do the Tour de Madison? I can take 3 bikes on my car. Mapquest shows it to be about 90 miles/2 hours from Takoma Park.

If I'm around DC then, I'll carpool with you. I can fit 2 bikes on my rack and 2 inside (wheels off).

Anyone interested in the longer ride length?

divingbiker
04-06-2007, 10:49 AM
If I'm around DC then, I'll carpool with you. I can fit 2 bikes on my rack and 2 inside (wheels off).

Anyone interested in the longer ride length?

I'd probably opt for the 45 mile ride, so y'all wouldn't have to wait around for me to finish, since I'm slower than you are.

divingbiker
05-03-2007, 05:11 AM
I put my registration for the Tour de Madison in the mail this morning!

Any other DC-area folks planning to go?

7rider
05-03-2007, 06:29 AM
I can't, although I'd love to.
We have an a.m. meeting with our granite-guy for the kitchen remodel. While he comes highly recommended, he's got to give us his best-est sales pitch as to why he's worth the $1,000 over our next highest estimate. :eek: :rolleyes:

IFjane
05-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I apologize for not checking this thread sooner!

It takes me about 2 hours (with no traffic issues) to get home from Reagan Airport, if that helps.

Yes, it's I 66w to 29S at Gainesville, BUT if you want to miss a ton of stoplights, go past Gainesville to the next exit (Rt. 15, Haymarket). Take 15 S from there & it will intersect & join Rt. 29S in a few miles.

How many of you are coming? Can't wait to meet you all!!

Batbike
05-04-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm coming from Lynchburg, VA to the Tour de Madison ... looking forward to meeting more TE women!! :cool: :D

IFjane
05-14-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi all - for everyone coming to the Tour de Madison, I will be in a silver-ish Chevy pickup with VA Share the Road plates that say, "PEDLVA". In addition, I will get a big piece of white paper & have a giant TE painted on it & will hang it on the truck in the most visible spot.

Right now the forecast is for sunny & 75. Let's hope it holds!

See you Saturday! :D

divingbiker
05-14-2007, 12:08 PM
I'll be on the lookout for you, IFJane!

Do you know if there are any links to the routes that show the elevation? I'm trying to decide which ride to attempt.

aicabsolut
05-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I just drove by Madison this morning on my way back to DC. But I will be heading out again on Thursday, so I'll miss it. My legs are destroyed from 15 hours on Charlottesville hills last week anyway.

IFjane
05-15-2007, 04:54 AM
I'll be on the lookout for you, IFJane!

Do you know if there are any links to the routes that show the elevation? I'm trying to decide which ride to attempt.

I will check on the routes & get back to you - I want to verify that the route I have (proposed) is the one they adopted. If so, I'll send you a copy. You can count on rolling hills on almost all the routes - I don't think any of them go over anything too bad, but I'll let you know. Stay tuned!

IFjane
05-15-2007, 04:57 AM
I just drove by Madison this morning on my way back to DC. But I will be heading out again on Thursday, so I'll miss it. My legs are destroyed from 15 hours on Charlottesville hills last week anyway.

Where did you ride?

IFjane
05-17-2007, 06:02 AM
I have a pdf. of the routes for the ride Saturday, but there is no topo, no elevation gain & no cue sheet, so I don't know if it will mean much to see it. Let me know and I'll attach to another message if you want. I know all the roads and there are no horrid climbs. It's rolling - mainly because there is very little flat in Madison - but nothing bad. I have a topo program on another computer at home. If I have a chance I will try and map it myself, see what I come up with & let you know.

divingbiker
05-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I have a pdf. of the routes for the ride Saturday, but there is no topo, no elevation gain & no cue sheet, so I don't know if it will mean much to see it. Let me know and I'll attach to another message if you want. I know all the roads and there are no horrid climbs. It's rolling - mainly because there is very little flat in Madison - but nothing bad. I have a topo program on another computer at home. If I have a chance I will try and map it myself, see what I come up with & let you know.

No problem, I'll just go for it when I get there, probably the 45 mile ride. Hope to see you Saturday.

7rider
05-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Have fun on this ride, everybody!

divingbiker
05-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Right now it's looking like I'm going to have to bail on the Tour de Madison. My thyroid meds are off, and on top of the lethargy I'm feeling from that I haven't slept for several nights. So I'm thinking that I may not be up for driving a couple of hours to do a 25 mile ride, since I doubt I'll be able to do more than that. There's so much I need to do in the yard and around the house (blew out a ceiling fan so I need to replace it, for one thing) that I'm thinking I should just stay home.

Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself out of this ride? I really want to do it, but I just don't think I can. Dang it.:(

Looking forward to meeting you some other time, IFJane. Have a nice ride!

IFjane
05-18-2007, 06:28 AM
DB - I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well! We will miss you & hope to see you again sometime soon. The routes are 18, 44 & 69 milies according to the newspaper. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive so far for such a short ride.

Take care, get that yard work done & REST! :)