PDA

View Full Version : Broken wrist

Trek1500
03-27-2007, 06:49 AM
I fell off of my bike Sunday and broke my wrist. Since typing is difficult, I won't go into detail, but I'm wondering if anyone has been able to ride while healing. I don't expect to be able to go out tomorrow. I'll be in a long cast for 3 wks. and a short one for a while after. I'm thinking maybe with the sort cast? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

mimitabby
03-27-2007, 06:57 AM
I have heard of gals on stationary bikes with casts, but it seems a bit crazy to ride on the road with a broken limb. Sorry you fell. What happened?

Pika
03-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Sorry to hear about your wrist!
When you say long cast- how long? past the elbow? I can't imagine how you would ride if your elbow was immobilized.....
A fellow PT fractured her wrist while iceskating last year- she found she could take her bike out on flat roads but only after about 4 weeks. The problem earlier was her arm would swell and make the cast unbearably tight and painful. Not worth it in her opinion.
You might be better off doing an activity where you arm is not hanging down, a treadmill or elliptical where you could rest your arm at or above waist level for short periods:)
Good Luck:)

KnottedYet
03-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Best bet is to ask the doc who treated your wrist.

They know exactly what you broke and how badly and what kind of sudden jars/shifts/impacts and weightbearing they do and don't want those delicate healing bones to go through.

Give them a quick phone call. The physician's assistant or nurse should be able to get the answer to you pretty soon.

(we do this all the time for patients we see in our clinic)

RoadRaven
03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
There are a couple of people in the local cycling club who have come to races with their ankles in casts... but I haven't seen anyone with their wrists in plaster.....

Will you be in the "shorter" cast for very long?

Offthegrid
03-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hear - I wish you a speedy recovery.

If you could stand it, you could probably ride a recumbent stationary bike at the gym. Not a lot of fun, but would at least keep you fit until you're healed.

Crankin
03-28-2007, 04:49 AM
My husband broke both wrists in 2003. He could barely do anything! He convinced the dr. to take the casts off at 5 weeks instead of 6 and was on the bike the next day. It was very painful; in fact it was the only time I ever dropped him. He had to work hard in pt so he would be comfortable riding. After about a month, it was fine, but I wouldn't recommend riding with the cast.

bmccasland
03-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear - I wish you a speedy recovery.

If you could stand it, you could probably ride a recumbent stationary bike at the gym. Not a lot of fun, but would at least keep you fit until you're healed.

Trek,
You really don't want to do something that runs the risk of reinjuring the wrist. At least wait until you have the shorter cast. I second notion of riding a stationary bike at a gym. I rode with my wrist in a brace and found braking or even changing gears a challenge. Healing juju thoughts headed your way!

Trek1500
03-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and suggestions. I think I'll try the recumbant approach. It's better than nothing. I really don't know exactly how long the doc expects me to be in the short cast, but he told me I should be good to go by Memorial Day. At least I'll have the summer.

Thanks again, and be careful out there.

bike4ever
03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Trek -
I broke my wrist last year with a crash. Because of the location of the break, I was put in a splint for 6 weeks. I found I was able to ride my commuter bike which has straight bars, but I wasn't able to ride my road bike. The splint was very hot so sweating in it was rather yukky.

Once I was cleared, it took me a few weeks to be able to shift my front derailleur. I even had my mechanics at work attempt to make the shifting easier - I just couldn't throw the shift.

I pretty much did was I was able to per my doctors instructions. He said if it was hurting then stop.

Wahine
03-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Trek1500 - do you know which bone was fractured, (eg radius, ulna, scaphoid or something else)?

Is you thumb mobility limited by the cast?

I would try riding the trainer before going out anywhere. A lot of whether or not you can ride depends on it you can get into a good position to ride. I also agree with Pika, it's good to be able to elevate your wrist periodically. You could do that on the trainer. You also don't want to put yourself at further risk by being unsafe because you can't brake properly.

Finally, if it happens to be your scaphoid, don't mess with it. They are a PITA when it comes to healing.

I fractured my scaphoid 2 years ago and it was hard for me to get back on the bike. I was casted for 8 weeks and I was too painful to ride for about 2 weeks after the cast came off. Then it slowly came back. I was able to ride normal amounts about 6 weeks later.

silver
03-28-2007, 06:39 PM
I broke my arm and rode in a cast. I broke...I think the Ulna. the bone on the pinkie side of the arm. The bone was broken in the head (wrist end) and about two inches up from there. I was put in a fiberglass cast up to but not over my elbow. There was a piece of cast that went between my thumb. I manually worked the cast between my thumb and forefinger until it was pliable. I could then rest my hand against the gear shifter.

I did have my Dr.'s permission to ride, if I was careful. I had to twist that arm out a bit so that the elbow pointed out instead of back.

I wasn't very flexible. slow to change gears, couldn't move into drops, so I picked easy routes. I was actually more comfortable riding with the fiberglass cast than the splint that they put me in afterwards. I didn't feel as protected.

Let me know if you have any questions.