PDA

View Full Version : Yeti ASR-SL -- any opinions?

velogirl
03-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I have the opportunity to ride/race a Yeti ASR-SL. The build is pretty sweet (built for the bike shop owner's wife but she never rode it). And it's pink (and my team is pink). And it's light.

I currently race on a Litespeed Pisgah (titanium hardtail without disk brakes). My chief complaint about my current bike is that it doesn't have disk brakes and so I find I slow down at times on descents when I don't really need to because I know it takes more time to slow/stop with my brakes.

Anyways, has anyone had any experience with Yeti? I don't really know much about them except that they're HQ'd in Golden, CO (and I just spent a week in Golden -- what a coincidence).

tattiefritter
03-27-2007, 12:32 AM
My OH has a 575 and he loves it, as does everyone that borrows it to ride as well (unfortunately its way to big for me!). He has his built up pretty light with Maverick DUCs but it has put up with lots of abuse from him and he's not particularly light! It doesn't seem to make him climb any slower than he does on his hardtail mores the pity but he descends faster on it.

Disk brakes are fab. I personally have never actually ridden anything but disk brakes off road but I have a few friends who have ridden v's who all say that disks were the single best upgrade they have ever made as they know they can stop when they want with minimal effort - important in UK riding conditions.

sarahkonamojo
03-27-2007, 04:11 AM
I have demoed a yeti the asrslc? (I wish they had names.) It was more than I could spend, but it was a nice bike. They have a good reputation in Colorado. of course. Like most (but not all) bike companies, most (but not all) of their bikes are manufactured overseas. Not that it matters, but it might...

You also might want to check the mtbr forums.

sarah

IntenseRide
03-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeti is an excellent bike to race with. I know that disc brakes are 'heavier' but braking is everything, especially in the corners. Racing on a hardtail versus full suspension will have its advantages and disadvantages, mainly weight and climbing for the hardtail, but you will descend quicker on the Yeti and brake easier, especially in wet or muddy conditions. Fine-tuning the rear on the Yeti for minimum bob will also pay off.

Frames made in Colorado: 303 DH, AS-Rsl, 4X, Special Projects, and all race bikes and prototypes.
Frames made in Taiwan: AS-X, DJ, 575, ARC