PDA

View Full Version : Another foot pain thread

SouthernBelle
03-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I've read all the foot problem threads, I think, but didn't find this specific issue.

This is a problem I've had before, but it was rather bad on today's ride. The pain in my feet, esp my left, is located below the center toe, and at the base of the ball portion of my foot. It feels like there is a lack of padding between the bone and the skin, so that when the pressure from the pedal is continous, it hurts.

I'm shifting the cleat back a little on the left shoe. But my question is will an insert help this and if so which one?? I saw the superfeet insoles and have noted who carries them.

Any suggestions appreciated

KnottedYet
03-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Try a Superfeet "Berry" (with the metatarsal arch support) or whatever other Superfeet fits you right and add a met pad with the help of a good shoe store. (shouldn't cost more than about $10 for the met pads)

I was just looking at the new Berry and Orange Superfeet today. I'm quite impressed with the Berry.

Wahine
03-24-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree with Knott. this is almost certainly a metatarsal arch issue and could be handled with the right insoles. Just make sure you're getting a pair with the metatarsal arch pad, or add one as Knott suggested.

It is also a good idea to move the cleat back a bit. Try lining up the axel of the pedal with the joint at the base of your baby toe.

Knott, thanks for posting about the Berry. I haven't seen them yet but I'll definitely look them up.

SouthernBelle
03-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Thanx muchly. I'll be heading into Nashville tomorrow and have a couple of places I can go that are dealers. I have 3 pairs of shoes and had already adjusted the cleat on my left on the other 2, but just put the cleats on this pair. Just shouldn't have worn them for the first time on a longer ride. :o

Hoping the inserts will help tired feet too!

SouthernBelle
03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Just thought I would say I got some green superfeet and they are in my shoes awaiting their first ride. I will report back.

Wahine
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
SB - the green superfeet don't have a pad for the metatarsal arch so you may have to add one (you can buy separate ones over the counter from a pharmacy). The superfeet Berry (pink colour) has the MT arch pad. Did your store have the Berry? If they do maybe you can exchange before you use them.

aicabsolut
03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Moving the cleat back so that the ball of the foot (measured at the first metatarsal joint) is a few (maybe 5, depending on your foot size) millimeters *in front* of the pedal axle ought to help ball of the foot pain.

SouthernBelle
03-27-2007, 06:22 AM
I went with the green figuring I could add the arch support part cause they had better overall arch support. The cleat is moved back, just didn't get to try it yesterday.

BTW, they have a 60 day guarantee, so even if they are well-used, you can take them back. The guy at checkout, put my name in the system so I could bring them back if I don't like them, even if they are totally grungy.

SouthernBelle
03-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Finally got to ride this evening with my moved cleat and my Superfeet. Felt much better. My problem foot felt good, but even my right foot felt better. I only got in 18 miles before I ran out of daylight, but it was a big improvement.

Thanks everybody.

Wahine
03-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm so glad that the suggestions worked for you. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

SouthernBelle
03-29-2007, 05:30 AM
I'm so glad that the suggestions worked for you. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Made my feet feel warm and fuzzy! :)