PDA

View Full Version : upset tummy

trsullivan@sbcg
03-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Not sure if I should post here or in nutrition. I ride in the AM hours and within 2 miles time I start becoming nauseated. Within 8-10 miles I am on the verge of vomiting and have extreme acid reflux. This continues until I cool down usually 20 minutes after my ride. Does not appear to make much matter as to what I eat or not beforehand, however drinking water along my ride definitely makes matters worse. Any suggestions would be SO MUCH appreciated. Thank you Trauma Queen

han-grrl
03-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I suffer from lots of acidity (i actually had a ruptured ulcer recently)
anyway here are things that i find helps:

finish eating anything heavier between 2-4 hours before depending on the food.

no fruit in the last 2 hours before riding.

hydrate before riding so i don't over drink during the ride.

watch the type of energy drink i use. i find eload works best for me, but evreyone has a different preference.

it takes a good 30 minutes for my body to warm up while riding, so i try to take it easy during the first 30 minutes.

anyway that's what i do,and it is up to you to figure out what is best.
don't ignore acidity symptoms, because they could be a sign of something worse (which i found out the hard way)

acid reflux during riding has alot to do with when you eat and what you eat before riding. when i race i go as far as not eating ANY type of fruit fresh or dried on race day. not even OJ. this seems to work for me.

good luck
Hannah

lizbids
03-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Although I don't race, I have gotten sick from not eating/drinking properly before rides. One time it was so bad I felt sick for two days (shaky and weak). I've passed out before too...so now I am careful to eat about 1.5 hours before riding...and I make sure I eat carbs and protein and stuff. That seems to work for me, but I am by no means a nutritionist.

EBD
03-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I have a lot of stomach problems when I exercise, expecially reflux. Since you are riding in the a.m., the problem may not be the food in your stomach, but an empty stomach - the nausea especially makes me suspect that. I have absolutely no medical expertise but here are some ideas that popped into my head immediately:
-I take an H-2 blocker (Zantac, Pepcid - I take generic Zantac a.k.a. ranitidine) with water as soon as I wake up, and it makes a big difference. If I forget it and exercise in the a.m. my stomach can definitely rebel. It may take a few days of this routine for your body to adjust to this.
-get some bland, absorptive food in your stomach well before your ride - such as white bread. Not a lot, just a little something to take the edge off, absorb any excess acid in your stomach.
-taking a multivitamin on an empty stomach can make me feel the way you describe - are you popping vitamins or supplements before you exercise? If you are, when your blood starts pumping there may be a rush of vitamins/chemicals into the bloodstream that causes you to get nauseated.
-go to the doctor. Your symptoms sound kind of extreme and a doctor might want to prescribe something, or investigate whether there is some physiological problem that is making your stomach roil and boil when you exercise. You shouldn't have to live with this.

SouthernBelle
03-24-2007, 03:16 PM
If EBD is right, you may also try stoking the night before a ride.

HTH,