PDA

View Full Version : anyone else thinking of doing bike Against the Odds?

Trek420
07-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking of doing this ride in October. Good cause, supposed to be a good ride, plenty of time for folks to train and register. Anyone else here doing this one?

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=57653

jobob
07-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey, that looks great.

Any other takers? How about you other Cinderella alumnae ?

It's my 45th birthday that weekend (that Friday actually, but I reserve the right to stretch it out) so you all can help me celebrate :p

- Jo.

snapdragen
07-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Excellent! Count me in too, I'll bring the champagne Jobob :p

Hey, I notice you can start a team when you sign up..anyone interested in a TE team? (Do we need to check with TE about this?)

Trek420
07-03-2004, 07:03 PM
"It's my 45th birthday that weekend (that Friday actually, but I reserve the right to stretch it out) so you all can help me celebrate :p

- Jo."

You can't have too many birthday celebrations! Can't see why TE would object to the advertising of having a team...but...should ask. Also should we bring this question out of the CA area? The ride is limited to something like 500 riders so we should jump on it.

snapdragen
07-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Trek420
"You can't have too many birthday celebrations! Can't see why TE would object to the advertising of having a team...but...should ask. Also should we bring this question out of the CA area? The ride is limited to something like 500 riders so we should jump on it.

I posted a link to this thread on the Open Topic board.

Adventure Girl
07-04-2004, 07:09 PM
I would LOVE to do it, but I'll be out of town that weekend.:mad: It would be great to get a TE team together. (I guess that's redundant since it would be Team Estrogen Team). :p

Trek420
08-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Adventure Girl wrote: "It would be great to get a TE team together. (I guess that's redundant since it would be Team Estrogen Team). :p"

If not a TE Team there's always Velogirls

Last year, Velo Girls put together a team of 25 riders for The Breast Cancer Fund's inagural fundraising ride, Bike Against the Odds. Together, we became the top fund-raising team for the event by raising over $14,000. We've just formed our team for the 2004 event, to be held on October 24th, and would like to invite all of you to join us!

Bike Against the Odds is a fundraising ride held in Oakland. There are five riding options to choose from, ranging from 12 to 65 miles. There is no fundraising minimum for the event, however it's suggested that each rider raise at least $100.

To join the Velo Girls team, just go to http://tinyurl.com/4p6ne. Then sign up for our email group at http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/velogirlsODDS. We'll use this group to plan training and fundraising events.

We'll have a kick-off/informational meeting for anyone interested next Thursday, August 12th, at 7:00pm at Fanny & Alexander in Burlingame. Founder Lorri Lee L. has got two special training/coaching packages to introduce that evening, we'll get to know each other, and start planning how we'll conquer those hills and raise that money!

I hope you'll choose to join us in supporting this ride and The Breast Cancer Fund this season.

Trek420
08-07-2004, 12:54 PM
oh, and one more thing. the ride is open to anyone. although you gotta be a girl to join the Velogirls bike club, anyone can ride with our team on the Bike Against the Odds.

So if their are any guys reading this or if you know guys who've been waiting for their one big chance to "ride Like a Velogirl" this is it!

Oh, almost forgot the metric century has over 6,000 feet of climbing.

Trek420
08-08-2004, 08:49 AM
ooooops! ok, the ride is open to anyone. However....you gotta be a girl to join the Velo Girls bike club, AND/or our team on the Bike Against the Odds.

So if their are any guys reading this sorry, and sorry to all for the extra "e-mail noise" but we still wanna see ya'all on the ride

jobob
08-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Hey Dita -

Looks very likely that I'll be going away that weekend so I won't be doing Bike Against the Odds - but I'll be glad to sponsor you !

- Jo

Trek420
08-16-2004, 08:34 AM
thanks, that's nice of you, hey, isn't that your birthday weekend? have fun!

Trek420
09-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Last night i had dinner with a friend who has breast cancer and it's heavy on my mind thinking about why we do charity rides...how it feels good yet somehow inadequate....

When I registered for BATO it was mostly because of the challenge and for training motivation. I care about the cause, Grandmother's a survivor so I posted a link to my donation site on my co.'s
internal employee volunteer page, it netted interest, I easily met my pledge goal but most important it put me back in touch with a long lost friend.

I've worked for the same co. for 8 years now, Jeri was the very first
person I knew there who became a friend. She's vibrant, so funny, brilliant, married a wonderful gal named Deb, you'd all love her. She left the
company, moved to southern Ca, we lost touch. I heard she
came back to work here but we had not talked. She saw the link
and from out of the blue there was an e-mail from Jeri!

She has breast cancer.

It was diagnosed at stage four. Several years ago she was up
here for the birth of her grandchild when she felt a twinge in her
breast. She made a mental note that if it kept up she'd have it
checked out. Hadn't had a mamogram in a while if at all. The
twinge repeated over the next two weeks so she went to the
doctor, who perfomed a breast exam and said "I don't feel
anything", Jeri insisted on a mamogram, time for one anyway. She had not had a mamogram in years due to a combo of her old doctor did not feel it was needed under 40, then she changed doctors ... so it had been a while.

She says when the lab tech wanted to take a second set x-rays,
she knew.

She's had chemo, some radiation, mastectomy and the cancer
went into remission. But now it's back, and metastesised to the
bone. She says it's gone into remission before, it could again, she's positive and upbeat and seems healthy but we just don't know. She asked me to share her story with others.

Everyone here *please* get a mamogram yearly.

So I'm changing the subject slightly, have you done rides for charity...why do you ride?

slinkedog
09-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Wow... a ride I might actually be able to manage. Is there a course description anywhere or a map?

My husband's sister had breast cancer (diagnosed at stage 2 when she turned 34) and just celebrated her 5 years from diagnosis anniversary. We're praying the cancer doesn't return.

Thanks for any info you can give...

Trek420
09-01-2004, 12:02 PM
slinkedog "Is there a course description anywhere or a map?"

there are routes varying from 12 or is it 15 miles to a metric century. The metric has 6,000 feet of climbing, I've signed up for that but may take the short cut, training's going well but we'll see how I do. Lemme check, I think I can find a link to the route map.

"My husband's sister had breast cancer (diagnosed at stage 2 when she turned 34) and just celebrated her 5 years from diagnosis anniversary. We're praying the cancer doesn't return."

wow, 5 years, that's a good milestone and cause for celebration. I'm glad your sister-in-law is doing well.

"Thanks for any info you can give..."

you can check velogirls.com for information on our team but stay tuned I'll find more.

slinkedog
09-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I guess I would probably do the 12 mile or 19.5 mile option. If you can find maps or route descriptions, I'd be eternally grateful!! :) Thanks for all your help!

Trek420
09-01-2004, 12:57 PM
I think I'm suffering from oldtimers disease, I could have sworn I saw it on the net. But a search found nothing.

It may be (so they don't scare you off) you don't get the route sheet till you register, or if late enough, till you arrive so...remind me if I don't post within a few...I believe it's at home....somewhere....I'll scan or post a description. :rolleyes:

Trek420
09-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Light Loop: 12.2 miles, 400 feet of climbing. Starts at lake Merrit, climbs Broadway, traverses lower Oakland Hills and mountain blvd. Returns via Oakland Blvd. Most of the climbing is on the ride up Broadway, which is a gentle sloap but for three pitches of only 2-4 blocks each. There is a rest stop at Temescal Park where the climbing ends for this ride. After the rest stop riders go to Broadway Terrace to continue on rolling hills to Mountain blvd, then a gradual descent to Park Blvd and return to the lake.

Intermediate: 19.5 miles, 1670 feet of climbing. Same as above to Temescal Park, then 7 more miles and 1200 feet of climbing. From Temescal continue up Broadway cross Hwy 24 and pick up tunnel road. Steady climb to Skyline blvd. Rest stop 2 is at the top of Tunnel Road at the entrance to robert Sibley Park. Skyline is mostly rolling hills with a steady climb at the end followed by a steep windy descent to joaquin Miller road. then a mild descent back into Oaktown.

Advanced: 30.2 miles, 2660 feet of climbing. Same as above to Skyline/Joaquin Miller and begin the Redwood Park Loop which is 11 miles with 1000 feet of climbing and includes a one mile climb up Pinehurst which then climbs back up Skyline Blvd where there is a rest stop. the route then turns right on Skyline and then down Snake to Mountain blvd and Park blvd then back down to the lake.....

There are two more routes...advanced which is 17 miles 4000 feet climb and "Pro Am" metric century with 6000 feet climb. Wanna read those? :p

Trek420
09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
oops...advances is 47 miles .soooory

snapdragen
09-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Hey D!

I wish I could do this ride - but my fitness level is, well, in the toilet still. I'd never survive. I'm working on it though, so next year for sure.

It sounds like your friend has a good attitude, I truly believe that is over half the battle. A positive cancer story, my cousin also had advanced breast cancer, in her bones etc. She was given 6 months to live -- that was close to 3 years ago.

Trek420
09-01-2004, 07:13 PM
snapdragen wrote "It sounds like your friend has a good attitude, I truly believe that is over half the battle. A positive cancer story, my cousin also had advanced breast cancer, in her bones etc. She was given 6 months to live -- that was close to 3 years ago."

So next year it is, then, "next year in Jerus"...oops, I mean "next year on the three Bears".

If positive attitude and will power is what it takes Jer has that in spades, glad your cousin is doing well! 3 years is a milestone. I think doctors really do not know what they are doing sometimes, I'm not one to think they are always right. :rolleyes:

slinkedog
09-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks SO very much, Trek, for posting the course route! I think I could probably do the 12 mile loop, if hubby will come along and give me a push if I need it up those steep parts!! :)

Come on, Snapdragen! You can do it! Ride with us and Blaine can give you a push, too. He's really good at it!! ;)

Maine-iac
09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks to ALL of you for your efforts.
Lost my sister in Feb. Wish I could be there.

Trek420
09-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Maine-iac "Thanks to ALL of you for your efforts.
Lost my sister in Feb. Wish I could be there."

Maine-iac, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. You will be there...in spirit.

Trek420
11-01-2004, 05:38 AM
bumping this back up, it was a fantastic ride, hope to see you all out there next year. the velo girls bike club was the leading fundraising team of the ride. there is a picture of the team* on www.velogirls.com

*i'm the one with the flourescent green vest on the right:cool:

Trek420
07-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Here we go again.

Is there anyone else doing Bike Against the Odds? the date is 10/09, Jobob, that would be near your birthday again. It has routes from 12-64 miles. All with a lot of climbing. the metric century is 6,000 feet.

There aren't many rides that start and stop in downtown Oakland, registration is limited to something like 300 riders. Even with the urban start and stop the route is surprisingly low traffic and includes Old Tunnel road and the 3 bears.

We could create a team, or join the Velogirls team. Anyone can ride, men and women, however the Velogirls team is for women only. Fundraising is optional but if you do there are some cool rewards/gifts.

cindysue
07-14-2005, 07:17 PM
registration is limited to something like 300 riders.

i was hoping to do this ride since LUNA is a major sponsor - BUT - registration is closed............... You might still be able to sign on with Velo Girls though. I guess you can contact Lorri form VG to see.........

Trek420
07-14-2005, 07:41 PM
registration is already closed? lemmee check with Lorri

Trek420
07-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Just heard from Julie Homan, one of the organizers of the ride who wrote:

"No, of course BATO registration is
not closed.

Tell your ladies to register at
www.breastcancerfund.org/events!"

cindysue
07-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Just heard from Julie Homan, one of the organizers of the ride who wrote: "No, of course BATO registration is not closed.
Tell your ladies to register at www.breastcancerfund.org/events!"

ahhh thanks Trek!!!!!

I misinterpreted the website that says:
http://www.breastcancerfund.org/faf/home/?ievent=57653
ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED, but you can still join us for this event. Just come to Lake Merrit on Sunday and register the day of the event. For more info, visit our "Event Information"

But now I see that it was just referring to online registration.......

Hey - do you want to start new thread since this one starts with the 2004 ride. I'm so there!

tomgrrrl
07-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi all,

Well, I managed to just register online so it seems to still be ok to do so....

As a BC Survivor, I'm looking forward to the ride. It was three years ago in August that I was diagnosed. Fortunately, it was found very early through a routine mammogram so I'm doing well. I think it will be a great event for all us cycle gals!

Ellen

Trek420
07-27-2005, 08:15 PM
tomgrrrl.

We're glad you're here with us.

I'll see you there.

Are you doing Mt. Diablo with us this week? I just posted BATO route decriptions, yikes, I need hills. :eek:

Cindy Sue, suggestion for the "name that bike contest"

Presta Pinkey*

*variation on actual customer name that I talked to today, hope he's not lurking.

tomgrrrl
07-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Hi Trek,

I don't think I'm going to make this week's Diablo ride as I have babysitting issues....but don't worry, I'll be sending thoughts of strong legs your way!!! I do hope to make the ride sometime in the near future as I've never done it....Mt. Tam yes, Diablo no (I like those shady mountains!) :)

Ellen

tomgrrrl
07-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of doing this ride in October. Good cause, supposed to be a good ride, plenty of time for folks to train and register. Anyone else here doing this one?

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=57653

Hi All,

Just wanted to point out that this URL that Trek posted is for the 2004 Ride, that's why it says online registration is closed. Here's the url for this year's ride and you can register online!!

http://breastcancerfund.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=104407

cindysue
07-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks Ellen!

Hope to see you again soon!

tomgrrrl
07-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks Cindy.....your new bike sounds cool!

See you soon,

Ellen

Trek420
10-05-2005, 05:48 AM
show of hands who'll be there?

so far rideing I think we have tomgirrl, bikerz & me? and Cindysue on crew.

bikerz
10-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Yep - I'm in, and doing the 30 mile route...

I'd like to get started as soon as possible, since i'll be slooooow going up all those hills! :o

Trek420
10-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Since i think we're all registered with the Velo Girls I heard the plan is we have everyone meet 7:15 near the Gazebo thingy (or thereabouts?). Bikerz that's where the training rides have started. We'll probably take a group photo and then we're outa there.

bikerz
10-05-2005, 05:31 PM
OK - I'll look for familiar faces at 7:15

I am totally into starting as EARLY as possible (pokey, pokey up those hills). I'm a little nervous (what - me, anxious?), although I have done almost the entire route a couple of times now... I dread the long grind up Broadway to the 24 overpass more than Pinehust...ughh!

cindysue
10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Ann, Ellen, Dita, anybody else?

don't forget to stop by the first water stop and say Hi! We'll also have a LUNA tent at the end of the ride :)

tomgrrrl
10-05-2005, 09:21 PM
I hope doing the 65 miles.....have been sick this week with chest cold, but am getting back on the bike tomorrow and hopefully will be back in form by Sunday.....Cindy, just read your post on South Park! That is such a nasty way to end a long ride like that....ah well, I'll just try to suck it up and look forward to that Luna Bar at ride's end. Also, I'm hoping to meet up with friends about a mile from the end. They will have my tandem (and my daughter) and we will hopefully finish the last little bit together! :-)

See you Sunday!

cindysue
10-06-2005, 05:16 AM
They will have my tandem (and my daughter) and we will hopefully finish the last little bit together! :-)!

I love it! Where's my camera?!

see ya there Ellen. You'll do great on South Park - don't forget to fuel up!

Trek420
10-06-2005, 08:24 AM
I've registered for the metric like last year, but last year I think I did the 20 (got a little lost? typical of me) and even that kicked my a**, felt lucky to do it. So I'll be happy to do better than last year like the 30. Tomgirrl, I'll look for your friends and tandem near the end to say "hi", since I might not complete the metric I could be ahead of you at that point. See you at the gazebo!

cindysue
10-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi ladies,

A friend of mine has to go to LA this weekend and can’t ride in the bike against the odds event. She would like to recover the cost of her registration if possible. If you are in need of registration, let me know and I’ll give you her info.

Trek420
10-09-2005, 01:38 PM
we're baaaack, I'm tired, gonna shower, did the 30, saw Cindysue, Tomgirrl and Bikerz. Great weather, nice ride, I suck 10 year old pickled eggs at climbing, more later.

bikerz
10-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Whoops - I started a new thread in the "charity rides" section!