PDA

View Full Version : Headwaters 100 - Minnesota

northstar
03-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for a few months and am now jumping in! I started riding last year on a hybrid and fell in love with biking...and am now getting ready to get my first road bike. Since I'm a teacher, I have lots of time to put on miles in the summer, and I think I'd like to do a century this year. I'm thinking of doing the Headwaters 100, which is in early October. It runs around Itasca State Park in northern MN. I'm wondering if anyone here has ridden it. I'm a little worried about the weather being wet and cool, since it isn't until October.

Anyone have any suggestions for any MN/IA/WI centuries in late summer? I might actually be ready to take on a century earlier, provided it's relatively flat. The only other one I've found that works for me is in August, but it just has the riders go around a 50 mile loop twice. I think that might get awfully boring...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

SJCzar
03-23-2007, 11:10 AM
One of the sites that I use to find rides is :

www.mikebentley.com

Go to his link for Midwest Rides. Most of the ones he lists are in either Wisconsin or Illinois but there are a few from Minnesota listed.

I'll do some checking around on some of the other sites I use and let you know if I find anything interesting in your area or western WI.

pyxichick
03-25-2007, 09:24 AM
I enjoyed the Jesse James Days century ride in Northfield last September. I'll probably do it again this year

northstar
03-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I think the Jesse James ride might be the same weekend as the St. Paul Classic, which I think we are planning to do. Though, if I hear lots of good things about the Northfield ride, I could be convinced to change plans. It's still early. :p

pyxichick
03-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Last year I did both, but only did the 60 mile JJ ride. It was great! The classic is a nice easy ride to do after the long JJ ride.

dogmom
04-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Also, check out this site:

http://minnesotacyclist.com/mc-events-recreational-db.php

Keep checking back from time to time. There are more and more rides each season it seems.

madscot13
04-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I am from St. Paul and I have never biked in any sort of organized event (even including bike clubs and those things). They scare me and I am pokey.
But I think the St. Paul Classic would be a good thing to start with!

northstar
04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Hmmm...doing both is an idea. We have already talked to a few friends about riding the St. Paul and they are a pokier crew (and if they are slower than I am, that means that it would be a very, VERY relaxed ride!). That's definitely something to think about. Guess it will depend on what kind of shape I am in by then!