PDA

View Full Version : Touring VT in September

LisaB
03-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi all - I grew up in CT, and now I'm in the Seattle area, and my memories of September in VT are hazy if they exist at all, so I'm turning to you guys for help. :)

I'll be on a two-week self-supported tour through VT (using the Adventure Cycling maps - they're awesome!), and I'm already freaking a bit about clothing. It's me and my husband, we're taking the tandem instead of our half bikes, so packing space is limited, and I need help figuring out what temperature of clothes to bring. Will I live in long pants or shorts? Long sleeves and sweaters or short sleeves and tanks? Help?!

TIA,
Lisa

DebW
03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Shorts and legwarmers, short-sleeved jerseys and arm warms would be your best bet, IMO. It could be warm or cool. You'll probably be biking in shorts most days, but may want to start out with the warmers on in the mornings. Definitely long pants and sweaters for evenings. And don't forget why the Green Mountains are green.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Lisa,
Since packing space is very limited, might I suggest you both pack a Smartwool merino longsleeve crewneck pullover, and perhaps a merino tank or t-shirt as well? They are very lightweight and thin, yet will keep you pretty warm. They wick off sweat, and best of all- they don't smell funky under the arms after wearing them once or twice like polyester stuff does. They roll up really small. And one heavier weight merino zip-turtleneck top would probably come in handy too.
Merino has the ability to regulate your temp- they keep you warm if it's cold, and yet they breathe wonderfully and dry out quickly. Smartwool also makes a great little helmet liner, and also lightweight merino glove liners. And their socks are reknowned of course. They resist getting stinky too. (important when you are trying to pack only a few clothes and want to wear items more than once)
Hoodies are another good choice, since you can pull up the hood under your helmet when your head or neck gets chilly.
You will definitely need a windbreaker/rain jacket that can roll up small. If you have some good merino base layers, your windbreaker/rain jacket doesn't have to be heavy. You might get by with shorts, but you'd be wise to take warm tights or knickers too, for cold days. You should take both fingerless and warm full finger gloves- if it's 40 degrees, your fingers are going to get cold in the wind. Keep checking the forecast for that area ahead of time.

In addition to Smartwool brand, Ibex.com sells equally good quality merino base layers, jackets, wool tights, and knickers, etc.

Sounds wonderful!! We plan to do a few mini-tours in MA this summer, but not camping out on the cold ground. :rolleyes:

LisaB
03-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks Lisa and Deb - I think I'm good with the daytime-on-the-bike wear, I just don't know what to do for "evening wear" - is there such a thing in VT? ;)

Lisa - I wear a Smartwool lightweight crew neck year round, nearly, so I figured that would be one of my choices. I'm changing into a long-sleeve version for my commute home tonight, as I type (one-handed :)). I know of what you speak. :D

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks Lisa and Deb - I think I'm good with the daytime-on-the-bike wear, I just don't know what to do for "evening wear" - is there such a thing in VT? ;)

Are you sleeping in houses/B&B's, or camping out in a tent an dsleeping bag?

anakiwa
03-21-2007, 03:13 AM
I just don't know what to do for "evening wear" - is there such a thing in VT? ;)
No :)

Think pants and sweaters for night-time, but I'd come prepared for anything (one pair of shorts is probably easy to throw in, and you'd probably be smart to think in layers for the off-the-bike clothing as well). By September it's usually cooled off some, but you never know, there could always be a late warm spell.

Where are you riding?

Grog
03-21-2007, 07:45 AM
If you're going to be in the mountains, I'd err on the side of warmth.

I was touring there in August and in the early mornings (say between 6:30 and 9am) and evenings (after 8-9pm) it was rather cool. Many mornings I started with armwarmers and sometimes even a vest. Evenings I was always wearing long pants and a long-sleeve something plus often a jacket. If you do not tend to feel cold like me, you might not need so much.

Lucky you, it's going to be beautiful!!

LisaB
03-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey Grog, I tend to run cold too, that's why I'm concerned :)

Lisa - we'll be in B&Bs and motels, no camping this time (hooray!). The plan is to eat out every night if we can, otherwise its grocery store/liquor store/dinner on the room floor.

Anakiwa - we're riding this Burlington to Burlington loop: http://adventurecycling.com/routes/greenmtnsloop.cfm

Sounds like I can skip the shorts, stick with Gramiccis, Smartwools and a sweater and call it good for "evening wear."

Next decision: how to convince my husband that bike shoes and Keens need at least one more pair of shoes to be enough. :)

Crankin
03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I did a tour in Vt. in mid October. It was a long weekend tour and most of the other people were from the midwest and tri athletes; cycling was not their firts sport, it was clear they were runners. They came in cotton socks and shorts! We came with tights, LS jerseys (wool), rain jackets, booties, wool socks. It was 38 in the morning and never got above 50. I know it was a few weeks later than you are planning, but i would go on the side of being cautious. I am always cold, too, even on the climbs.

crumpincommuter
06-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Joining this thread late but caught it as I was searching for another.. Thought I'd offer the following, since you'll be in the area anyway...

If you're considering touring NE, you might want to consider joining the 07 V2V ride, and as a bonus, the event benefits Habitat for Humanity. The ride starts in Vernon VT and ends in Vernon CT, date is 9/16.

For your convenience, go to www.vernoncycle.com (www.vernoncycle.com)

robinmary
08-07-2007, 06:23 PM
I live in VT and could probably offer a little help here. The truth is you need something for any condition. Mornings will be cold and afternoons can get hot expect the temperature to change as much as 30º. You'll be in the Burlington area so the changes may not be as vast because your by Lake Champlain. Having said that you will be in a place where there is a night life. Burlington is a college town, but in VT it's not cool to overdress. Think Ibex or LLBean, Keens are perfect. I recently was in one of our LBS and saw a t-shirt you may want to keep in mind.

Biking in VT 75% Uphill, 25% Headwind

Happy Riding!
Robin

indigoiis
08-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Maybe because I am close to the subject (I have a farm), I highly recommend alpaca for socks and sweaters and caps. It's hypo-allergenic, lightweight, not scratchy (lower micron than merino) and is warm but breathes.

Here's a link to sportswear made from alpaca (not related to my farm so not an ad.) ;)

http://home.earthlink.net/~craftsman4fiber/id3.html

Although the products can be pricey, I can personally vouch for their sweaters and the socks - especially the copper crew. Wicked warm.