PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition before running

Offthegrid
03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I've done two runs before work, and learned a lesson each time. First, a single packet of Gu is not enough. Second, two packs of Gu at a time make my stomach feel sick while running.

What do you eat before a run -- particularly if you run first thing in the morning? (Unfortunately, PowerBar or Cliff Bars are not an option for me because of gluten, but Larabars could be. Just haven't tried it yet.)

Grog
03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't eat before running first thing in the morning, unless I have a 1-hour + run planned, in which case I'm likely to try to ingest a little bit of granola, perhaps even with some yogourt, 90 minutes or more before the run.

What do you mean when you say that one packet of Gu is not enough? Did you feel weak? What didn't work for you? What did you eat the night before?

KSH
03-19-2007, 02:25 PM
For a morning workout... I would think that is you took in good nutrition the night before and didn't wake up hungry, you could go without any food in your tummy... especially for a run under an hour.

I was talking to my tri coach last night... and he was suggesting that I stop eating hours (2 hours?) before I run... to try to fix my side cramp issue. He said that the food you eat right before you run, doesn't do any good... because it doesn't have time to digest.

If you are doing a slow run, your body will use reserves to pull from to power your body.

He said it's odd learning how to run on a hungry stomach, but it's perfectly fine. I will test this out and see how true it is! Although, when I run hungry, I lose energy.

Maybe you should try some sort of liquid nutrition... although... for a run under an hour... you should be fine with just water. ????

rocknrollgirl
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
I do not eat before I run in the morning. It makes me sick to my stomach. Even if I am hungry, I wait. If I run in the afternoon, I make sure I do not eat for several hours . If I have anything, just a Hammer gel.

limewave
03-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I can usually stomach about a half of a banana or half a bowl of instant oatmeal. But I have to have that first thing right when I get up so it has 10 to 15 minutes to settle while I'm getting ready. And I always warm-up with a slow 1/2 mile in the mornings before I take off.

Offthegrid
03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
I had the one packet of Gu last time, and I bonked BIG TIME. I could barely walk up the stairs to buy something to eat. This time I tried two packets of Gu, and it upset my tummy.

Keep in mind I burn 500-550 calories when I jog because I'm a big girl. I'm not sure if the standard 1-hour formula applies.

I think banana is next on the list -- that's a good idea. I'd love to try a small slice of banana bread sometime, but I'm out of my gluten-free special flours and can't get more until at least next weekend.

In the past I've pretty much been able to eat whatever on the bike, so this is a bit of new territory. I can't ever eat right before swimming, though, or I do get sick, but I've never bonked while swimming.

KSH
03-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I had the one packet of Gu last time, and I bonked BIG TIME. I could barely walk up the stairs to buy something to eat. This time I tried two packets of Gu, and it upset my tummy.

Well, I know that you are trying to lose weight... and sometimes what you eat throughout the day or the night before... affects you hours later in a workout.

One time, when I was trying to lose a few pounds, I got home from a tough 30 mile ride. It was late at night and for some odd reason I thought it would be a good idea not to eat... :rolleyes:. To say the least, when I got up the next morning, I could barely walk up my stairs. Once up the stairs I had to lay on the couch and rest.

Exterme example... but you might also look at what you are eating hours before you workout. Are you cutting your calories and not consuming enough?

Otherwise, you might want to try Hammer Gel. It's made out of different ingrediants and it might not upset your stomach like the Gu did. It might be worth trying other brands of gel to see if that settles better.

OH! And when you took the Gu, did you drink a good amount of water with it? Maybe you didn't have enough water to dilute it once in your stomach?

Grog
03-19-2007, 07:24 PM
I second KSH: I'd suggest looking in what you eat the night before.

You could perhaps also try some honey or jam for a "real food" feeling. However it shouldn't kick in for at least half an hour, so if you really want to run "first thing" in the morning you should have some reserves to dip into...

Experiment some more and keep us informed! Maybe that time you bonked was just that: one time. Try going for a run without but take a gel or something with you, perhaps? I like Bloks (clif) because I can have them one at a time and they don't make a mess in my pockets if I don't finish the whole 6-pack...

Wahine
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
OTG - as much as I agree with KSH and Grog in most cases, I do think that yours is a little unique. Having said that, you still have to consider carefully what you are eating the night before.

As you said, because you are a big girl you burn more calories in 30 min than I would in 1 hour. Also, I seem to remember that you have a really hard time keeping your HR down. This would suggest that you are working at a higher zone and may be using up your glycogen very quickly because you can't work at a level that allows you to burn fat as a larger proportion of your fuel.

I have two suggestions. First, start learning how to make you own smoothies. You can easily make really good ones that are gluten free. I use yogurt, which I think you can have and you can substitute soy or rice milk for regular milk. These work really well for me. If I only drink 8 to 10 ounces, it holds off the wolves (I'm hungry all the time) and I can still run pretty hard without my stomach getting upset. Becuase it's pretty much liquid, your body should be able to digest it quickly, but ideally you would have one 30 to 45 min before running.

Second. As hard as this is for me to tell you right now, slow down or go back to a run walk interval so your body can use more fat as fuel and your glycogen stores won't be depleted so quickly. I know you have only just gotten to the point where you can run 3 miles in a row, but maybe you should save that for your one hard run per week right now.

I would also suggest trying some different gels. I'm an accelerade girl myself.

Grog
03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Ah! Wahine is so wise. All she writes seems very right.

Smoothies sound like a smart solution, too, and a tasty one to boot!

Good luck OTG. Keep us posted.

rocknrollgirl
03-20-2007, 01:30 AM
OTG..consider trying Hammer gels...they do not have simple sugars in them. I switched over to their products last fall, and I have been very happy.

KSH
03-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Here is what I found in Runners Magazine:

"One of the biggest nutritional mistakes I see runners making is back-loading their day", says Nancy Clark, author of Food Guide for Marathoners: Tips for Everyday Champions. Clark notes that even experienced athletes often eat too little at breakfast and lunch, only to find themselves famished in the evening hours. The result? Erratic running performance. Instead, start your day off with at least a400-600 calorie breakfast that's high in carbs but also offers some protein and good fats. Think oatmeal with a dollop of yoguart or some trail mix with nuts and raisins.

violette
03-20-2007, 06:25 AM
I run at noon, so at around 10am, I'll eat a small banana. But make sure to drink as much water as possible before your run. I try to drink at least 3-250ml bottles. I try to drink them before 11am.

Works for me.

KnottedYet
03-20-2007, 07:13 AM
When I run, it's in the morning. Usually before I eat, or depending on my work schedule it may be an hour or two after I eat.

Always I have my coffee. (first thing I do when I get up is make coffee. I am an addict. Caffeine is my friend)

If I'm hungry but need to run RIGHT THEN I will eat a few Clif Bloks. Nice thing about the Bloks is they don't upset my stomach and they don't send my blood sugar on a roller coaster. (and you don't have to eat a full serving, like with gels) No gluten.

Larabars are my other fuel of choice, but they are too heavy for me
to eat before a run. As noted, also no gluten. Costo sells 'em by the case. SKnot eats them, and I have to hide some for my bike rides.

Mind you, my morning runs are only maybe 30 minutes tops. My morning bike rides (where I really do need to eat first or I bonk badly) are 3 hours or so.

Deborajen
03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
OTG I seem to remember that you have a really hard time keeping your HR down. This would suggest that you are working at a higher zone and may be using up your glycogen very quickly because you can't work at a level that allows you to burn fat as a larger proportion of your fuel.

This is interesting. I, too, have trouble keeping my HR down and sometimes have trouble "hitting the wall," although not as much lately. I was tested for diabetes a year and half ago and found out that my blood sugar tends to stay at the low end of normal. Maybe I use up glycogen quickly in a similar way. What works for me is consuming Gu in smaller increments more frequently than is recommended. It seems to keep my energy level steady.

For a first a.m. run, I usually eat half a banana 10-15 minutes before starting and that seems to work. Haven't paid much attention to what I eat the night before, but that tends to be my most balanced meal - ?

Guess we're all different. Hope you find something that works for you.

Deb

VeloVT
03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
My stomach is normally pretty sensitive -- have to wait at least two full hours after a meal to run, GU (though not all gels) predictably upsets my stomach, as do some energy drinks. But I can have a powerbar -- the original, gooey, taffy-like, not very good tasting kind, I think they're called Powerbar Performance -- 20 min before running without trouble. This might be worth a try?

Yogurt is ok for me 5-10 min before a run for easy/moderate runs, but I find it will upset my stomach if I go for a really hard, fast run.

KSH
03-20-2007, 03:05 PM
My stomach is normally pretty sensitive -- have to wait at least two full hours after a meal to run, GU (though not all gels) predictably upsets my stomach, as do some energy drinks.

Just curious... does sensitive = side cramps?

My coach has told me that I should try to run an empty stomach to see if that gets rid of my side cramps. My first test is today... no eating 2 full hours before I run. It this doesn't work, I go for 3 hours.

roadie gal
04-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I second the caffeine BIG time.:D

But if I have to run on an empty stomach, I have a serving of my Infinit Nutrition sports drink a few minutes before I head out the door. For running, my solution has 256 cal/20 oz and 1.5gm of protein. So far, this has worked well with my stomach. If my run is over an hour, I'll carry a half serving with me as well. The liquid has been better for me than even a gel.

VeloVT
04-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Fig Newtons, in moderation, might also be digestible shortly before a run... or... I'm a little ashamed to admit this because they're COMPLETE JUNK, but I've been way into using Nutragrain bars as pre/mid workout snacks lately. I'm taking a "triathlon conditioning" course and the Tuesday night sessions run from 7-9, first hour is hard spinning and second hour is in the pool. Because of the timing I end up not eating a real dinner, but having a large snack and hour before and a small snack in between spinning and swimming. Nutragrain bars work great in between, they go down quickly and easily and basically they're high-fructose corn syrup held together with a very small amount of real food, so they go into your bloodstream really fast. :)

Offthegrid
04-11-2007, 12:47 PM
How does one determine what their Infinit nutrition mix should be? When you said your running mix, I'm assuming you have a separate cycling mix. I'm curious to try this, especially now that I am bike commuting because I found when I got to work I had NO appetite. (I did eat a little bit beforehand.)

Also how do you know how "sweet" to order it? Gatorade alone to me is too sweet, so I usually water down by 50 percent.

roadie gal
04-15-2007, 08:42 AM
When you go to the Infinit site they have a questionaire that helps determine what you might need. Then you tweak it from there. They have a page with sliders on it that makes it very easy to adjust.

The first formula that they come up with doesn't have any protein in it. I found that I needed some protein or I'd bonk. I played with it and tried a formula with as high as 4 gm/ serving. That was too much for my stomach during the run. Now I've cut it down to 1 1/2 gms. This seems to work for me. I may order some more of the 4gm for biking. I haven't decided yet.

You can also play with the strength of the flavor. Like you, I like it less sweet.

roadie gal
04-15-2007, 08:45 AM
I didn't completely read your question. How to determine how sweet to make it? My method wasn't very scientific. I put the slider a bit below the halfway mark. On the next batch I ordered, I moved it just a bit lower, between the 1/3 and 1/2. That seems to be about the same as Gatorade watered down by 1/2.