PDA

View Full Version : Bike computer w/ GPS?

roguedog
03-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Does anyone have a bike computer that has GPS? I've been reading about the Garmin products and today being out with only me and the cows (who don't give very good directions and stubbornly won't even tell you if your compadres passed thru) made me think about this more.

I see the Garmins have a GPS chip but I don't see that it has mapping functions. It would have been nice to have it tell me that my next turn is 2.6 miles away or something. Or at least give me some function to tell me how far I was from civilization...

Doesn't have to be Garmin. It's just the brand that I know...

Veronica
03-18-2007, 06:59 AM
We have a Garmin 60CSX. It does map for you and tell you about turns. It is not small like a bike computer. If you look on our website in the DMD photos you can see it mounted on my bike. It's like the last photo I think.

V.

roguedog
03-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey V. Tks for the reply.

Um.. what is DMD?

Does it do the HR and Speed stuff? Not sure i need cadence.. but maybe in the future..

roguedog
03-18-2007, 07:31 AM
NM.. figured out DMD... :)

Hmm.. don't see the GPS stuff tho...

Blueberry
03-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I believe the only one that does HR, Cadance and all the other stuff is the Garmin Edge 305 - but, it's lacking in the way point department (and in the battery life department from what I hear...)

I'm in the market for something to track altitude (the polar I had which did altitude just didn't track very accurately - I'd come back from a ride, and it would tell me -400 cumulative climbing even though I always calibrated it).

So.....I've been looking at GPS units which track altitude, so I'm interested in what others have to say too:)

SadieKate
03-18-2007, 10:32 AM
CA_in_NC, I've found my Polar to be pretty accurate. Start and stop altitude may be different but that is a factor of barometic altimeters which, from what I've read, are always more accurate than waypoint-based measurements (that's why Topozone, routeslip, etc., are always off).

Have you called Polar? Mine is very consistent with reading I get from a Ciclosport. However, maillotpois has commented that her Ciclo is always low. I have the luxury of two barometric altimeter readiings from the Polar and Ciclo so I get a better idea of real altitude gain/loss.

Roguedog, V's GPS is just that, a GPS, not a cycle computer. I'm with you on the lack of route info. Their advertisements are confusing because they state that "you always know where you are." But Thom and V told me yesterday that they don't think the 305 has traditional GPS functions the way we all think of GPS functioning.

maillotpois
03-18-2007, 01:50 PM
I just took my new Garmin Edge 305 out on its first trip. I didn't use my "main" bike on which the cadence sensor is installed, and we found out later that I had a bum battery in the HRM strap :rolleyes: but the good news is it worked great on the whole map and data part. It is very cool to come back and download to the training center they have, and you see a map of what you did.

I have a friend who downloads all his Garmin rides into Motion Based, so you can see his routes. I could then download one of his routes into my computer and "race" against him or simply follow his route, as it would give me directions. He's truly geeky and then loads them into Google earth... :rolleyes: I am not worthy.

maillotpois
03-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh - and on the battery life concern (no small concern as I do long rides), it was suggested that I buy a little separate charger that runs off AA batteries and charges the unit beyond the 7 - 12 hours it runs on its own. Have not tested that out yet but will before the end of the month. Caligurl uses this and it seems to work for her after she got over a learning curve with it.

maillotpois
03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
And more - according to my UberGeek friend, you can also export the rides off of MB as a gpx file and then import them at RouteSlip.com, add turn cues and voila, route slip without having to draw it out. That's cool! Probably easier to ride a route than draw it out!!!

SadieKate
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Would you please ask Mr. UberGeek how to store more data without a PC available? Anyway to download to a USB drive?

On the battery, how many double AAs to recharge the unit?

I need to store 9 days of data (many of them long days) and 6 will be without power available.

So, does the unit tell you to "turn here, stupid" or do you have to be looking at the screen? How do you use it to follow a new route?

Please tell Mr. UberGeek thank you.

tygab
03-18-2007, 05:16 PM
The most recent addition is a Forerunner 305. The Edge 305 is very similar in functionality, but is designed with a bigger display and is more bike centric. It does have barometric altitude which is more accurate than the Forerunner's GPS based altitude. So, if that's a feature you are keenly interested in, the Edge is a better solution.

Both have cadence options.

The HR strap is very comfortable, it's a bit softer than the hard polar strap (Polar makes a soft fabric strap also, I have no experience with it). Both it and the wristband on the Forerunner are just adjustable enough that they fit me (smallest possible on both). The watch part does look big, but it does not flop around (which would drive me crazy and be a deal breaker).

As mentioned, data's uploadable to MotionBased, which is pretty cool, and it also comes with a Garmin app if you don't want to use MB. I use TrainingPeaks so I just send it to that. Anyway, it's really neat to see the graphs of your HR data, visual course etc. But I am a geek so playing with computers and data is in my nature.

You'd be able to set the fields, there are a couple of display pages you can tinker with. You give it your HR profile, bike profile, etc and it will let you tweak the zones it creates if you so desire. In all, it seems to be very robust functionally. I have had mine for a week and used it outdoors 2ce running and indoors 2ce biking (trainer).

Battery: is said to be ~8 hrs for Forerunner, 12 for Edge. I will be using mine this summer on some multi-day events so I will find a battery pack to charge it overnight. I got the Forerunner over the Edge because I wanted to use it for multisports.

Also, the Garmin appears to store indefinitely old data, and the manual says it stores like 2 yrs of data. Of course, you may not want that much. You can go in and delete it if you want, or just let it fill up and it'll overwrite the oldest when full.

You can see the manual here:
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/967_OwnersManual.pdf

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Garmin is a great company and they have (from what I've heard via others) excellent tech support. I've never needed it for any of mine, but I'm glad they have that reputation.

It will take a minute for your GPS to acquire tho, so be sure to turn it on while you're still organizing and getting ready to go.

Edit: I should add that it is not at all like a car GPS in terms of Nav - think of it more as a training tool that allows you to know a lot about where you went rather than where you're going. If you do a usual ride you can use this as a measurement of your progress over time. As far as nav, you can mark waypoints (locations) and build routes from them, but it won't really tell you how to get to the nearest Starbucks. Hope that helps a bit.

SadieKate
03-18-2007, 05:48 PM
2 years of data????

Here are direct quotes from two 305 owners:

GW --

The Edge 305 can store 13,000 track points. You can configure it to sample once every second, or use "smart recording", where it only stores a track point when triggered by a change of direction, speed, etc. In once per second mode, it will run out of track point storage in about 3.5 hours. In "smart recording" mode it will depend on how often a change triggers a track point store, but I've found it averages about one point store every 5 to 6 seconds on my rides, so I expect I could get around 20 hours of riding in before it would begin overwriting.

Certainly could be a problem on multi-day trips if you don't have access to a laptop.
Rob--

Hmmmm, now I can't remember how many days worth of data it'll store before over-writing. It's a lot, but I think after 4 or 5 days you'll have to download it. With my HAC4 I could only get 5 days, so had my wife meet me at the end of day 5 with my laptop. I just can't remember how much ride storage is there. (And part of that has to do with sampling, as well.)

Don't know how you'd upload to Motion-based without a pc.

Veronica
03-18-2007, 08:15 PM
http://tandemhearts.com/coppermine/albums/dmd-2006/v_not_happy.jpg

The black thing sticking up from my handlebars is a GPS. This thing will keep you from getting lost, which I believe was the original poster, roguedog's, question.

V.

roguedog
03-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks, V. Ahhhh.. I see now. I was looking for something a bit more in plain site.

Blueberry
03-20-2007, 04:58 AM
CA_in_NC, I've found my Polar to be pretty accurate. Start and stop altitude may be different but that is a factor of barometic altimeters which, from what I've read, are always more accurate than waypoint-based measurements (that's why Topozone, routeslip, etc., are always off).

Have you called Polar? Mine is very consistent with reading I get from a Ciclosport. However, maillotpois has commented that her Ciclo is always low. I have the luxury of two barometric altimeter readiings from the Polar and Ciclo so I get a better idea of real altitude gain/loss.

I gave up after working with the tech gurus at REI - they took it back (gotta love REI). I'd get back from a ride that had lots of climbing, and my computer would say that the cumulative elevation gain was -400. They had no explanation for it. I highly suspect it was a defective unit, but didn't want to fiddle with getting another one. I'll be looking for something else in the near future, but want to get something that's easily transferable between bikes - with 4 main bikes, it's pricey.

Carrie Anne

Veronica
03-20-2007, 05:28 AM
I transfer my Polar between my two road bikes and my mountain bike. I have mounts on all three, speed sensors on all three, cadence on the two road bikes... I just have to switch bikes on the unit itself.

V.

maillotpois
03-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Would you please ask Mr. UberGeek how to store more data without a PC available? Anyway to download to a USB drive?

On the battery, how many double AAs to recharge the unit?

I need to store 9 days of data (many of them long days) and 6 will be without power available.

So, does the unit tell you to "turn here, stupid" or do you have to be looking at the screen? How do you use it to follow a new route?

Please tell Mr. UberGeek thank you.

Just to make sure the record is straight, Mr. UberGeek is not my husband. ;)

I don't know yet on the battery charger thing - I have not received it yet. I better get it before the 300k! :rolleyes: I think the charger holds 2 or 3 batteries. The key (apparently) is to plug it into the charger before you turn the unit on and then leave it plugged into the charger. I don't yet know how long the charger will last w/o changing batteries in that.

I am also confused about the data storage thing because it says right there in the book that it stores up to 2 or 3 years of data. So I don't know when it would start overwriting. I will look on the Motion Based forum to see if people have discussed that. I don't think you could download to a USB key because you need it to interface wiht software like sync-ing a PDA.

The Edge does attach to separate mounts like, it sounds, the polar. So you can move the unit from bike to bike. There is a place where you can change the bike settings (tire size and weight of bike) as well.

I don't yet know how the directional settings work - how it tells you where to turn if you put a route in.

roguedog
03-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Hey V.. does the 60 have points of interest? you know, in case you are in the middle of nowhere and you just have to know where the next coffee shop is or something important like that..:rolleyes:

Veronica
03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Sure does!

SadieKate
03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Just to make sure the record is straight, Mr. UberGeek is not my husband. ;) Trust me. That never crossed my mind.:rolleyes:

I am also confused about the data storage thing because it says right there in the book that it stores up to 2 or 3 years of data. . . . I don't think you could download to a USB key because you need it to interface wiht software like sync-ing a PDA.Don't need it to interace with software, just store data that can be downloaded later to a PC with software. I think someone else has asked the same question on MB.

maillotpois
03-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Yeah, but I think the consensus on MB was that you couldn't download to a key. How do you tell the key to pull the data off the garmin? Neither device has what you need to initiate the data transfer. I don't think it can be done. That being said, losing a day or so of data on a multi day trip wouldn't bug me because I would still have way more available to me than I did with my HAC 4.

So there!

And you saw how cool it was to be able to copy my route!! (User error on my end notwithstanding.)

MomOnBike
03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
One word of caution on the GPS devices. Don't get so carried away with watching the display that you forget to keep an eye on where you are going. Just ask my DH. (Both he and the bike are fine....)

SadieKate
03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, but I think the consensus on MB was that you couldn't download to a key. How do you tell the key to pull the data off the garmin? Neither device has what you need to initiate the data transfer. I don't think it can be done. That being said, losing a day or so of data on a multi day trip wouldn't bug me because I would still have way more available to me than I did with my HAC 4.

So there!

And you saw how cool it was to be able to copy my route!! (User error on my end notwithstanding.)Not for the price, it isn't. Another year and Garmin might actually turn it into a real GPS with decent data storage.

SouthernBelle
04-21-2007, 03:32 PM
After getting incredibly lost today, I came back and found this thread. & I'm still not really clear, will the garmin tell me where I am?

I had to go find some poor guy in his barn.

Veronica
04-21-2007, 05:19 PM
The Garmin 60 CSX will tell you where you are and how to get home.

V.

SadieKate
04-21-2007, 05:35 PM
SouthernBelle. Garmin is a brand. To which Garmin are you referring? The Garmin Veronica has is a mapping GPS. It will tell you where you are and how to get back to your starting point. An Edge will not. It will record the route you are on and, I think, allow to upload routes previously ridden routes or routes mapped elsewhere. It will not tell you how to get unlost.

Veronica
04-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Mine will also tell you where the nearest coffee shop, bar, or bike store is. :D

V.

snapdragen
04-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Veronica's wins! :D

SadieKate
04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
I've got one just like V's (borrowed from a friend). It found the local Peet's but not Steady Eddy's in Winters.

How does a business get added? What is the source for the data?

kelownagirl
04-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Anyone use the Edge with a Mac? I'm about to buy one. I am a geek I know.

bike4ever
04-22-2007, 04:20 AM
I just got the Edge 305 and am using it with a Mac. You have to go to Garmin to download different software to upload it to your computer. You also have to use Safari only to use the motionbased.com website to upload your info.

SouthernBelle
04-22-2007, 05:08 AM
SouthernBelle. Garmin is a brand. To which Garmin are you referring? The Garmin Veronica has is a mapping GPS. It will tell you where you are and how to get back to your starting point. An Edge will not. It will record the route you are on and, I think, allow to upload routes previously ridden routes or routes mapped elsewhere. It will not tell you how to get unlost.

That's what I wondered. I got really, seriously lost.

Veronica
04-22-2007, 05:51 AM
I

How does a business get added? What is the source for the data?

Navteq produces the maps. You can add in any places not there as well.

V.

uforgot
04-22-2007, 06:22 AM
Garmin 60. Do these things work only on certain roads? I've gotten lost on gravel roads around here, but they are barely on a map. Will the GPS still tell me where I am? I don't know too much about these, but they sound really interesting. I'll have to do a bit of research. Something about these forums...they make everything sound so appealing and I start thinking I can't bike without them...Brooks Saddle...Carradice Bag...Gorestopper Jacket :eek:

Veronica
04-22-2007, 06:39 AM
The 60 knows where you are even if you're not on a road. It shows a track of where you have been so you can backtrack. Garmin has on line access to their maps so you can see what roads are included before you buy the map set.

V.

uforgot
04-22-2007, 07:02 AM
The 60 knows where you are even if you're not on a road. It shows a track of where you have been so you can backtrack. Garmin has on line access to their maps so you can see what roads are included before you buy the map set.

V.

I've been to the Garmin website. There seems to be many versions of the "60". GPS 60, GPSMAP 60, GPSMAPbunch of letters here... anyway, which one do you have? Is it the basic 60, because everything you have said so far indicates that it may be what I "need". :rolleyes: I just want to get unlost, map a route in advance and find a store or "starbucks" if I need to. I also like that some find lakes, parks, etc. I think I'll also see what kinds of maps I can download. Thanks!

uforgot
04-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Veronica, never mind, I reread the thread and saw it was the 60CSX. Thanks for all of the info.

SadieKate
04-22-2007, 10:05 AM
The 60CSX which I have borrowed was already set up ready to go, BUT I didn't have any manuals when it was handed to me. I futzed with it a bit and was able to figure out how to "find" the local brewery and get directions from my current location. I like intuitively easy equipment.

jobob
04-22-2007, 10:46 AM
I futzed with it a bit and was able to figure out how to "find" the local brewery and get directions from my current location. Oooooh I need me one of those! Does it find bakeries and ice cream shops as well? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Plus I'm sure SK was expecting to hear from me, dangling the carrot & all. Can't disappoint her.

SadieKate
04-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I just checked. It found the Konditorei, our local fabulous and sinful Austrian bakery. I know. I've been keeping this a secret. We'll have to plan a trip. It's just too dangerous there.

http://www.konditoreidavis.com/

SadieKate
04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Navteq produces the maps. You can add in any places not there as well.

V.

What I really wanted to know was how to make sure a point of interest was relayed to the world. For instance, Steady Eddy's in Winters is really welcoming to cyclists. They have cables on the front railing and will loan a lock. They could be added via the website so that others can see the info, not just me.

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en

roguedog
04-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I just checked. It found the Konditorei, our local fabulous and sinful Austrian bakery. I know. I've been keeping this a secret. We'll have to plan a trip. It's just too dangerous there.

http://www.konditoreidavis.com/

Oooh.. cool they're still there. Haven't been there in ages... I still miss Colleen's creamery :( Love my Kahula ice cream w/ strawberries and chocolate chips. Yup, this was pre-Cold Stone.