PDA

View Full Version : The R.I.D.E.

limewave
03-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Today I did my first bike race ever! The RIDE isn't your traditional race. It's indoor and on trainers. There were 30+ teams made up of 8 riders. Every team has one bike that everyone shares. Each person rides for 25 minutes. The teams range from professional racers and local LBS clubs to church groups and businesses--its a charity event.

I was on a non-competitive team. Most of the riders on my team brought a book to read while they were riding. However, that didn't mean that I couldn't compete individually.

I rode in the second heat and my goal was to get 12 miles. According to last years results, the top female racer had 12 miles so that's what I wanted too. And, I had somewhat of an advantage: being on a trainer, weight doesn't matter as much as it does on the road. I'm carrying around a few extra pounds so I have to work a little harder than my slimmer friends. But not today!

The event was at our local mall so there were tons of spectators and they had DJ playing great music. I took off at a fast clip: 33mph. Would I be able to keep this pace up for all 25 minutes? My teammates surrounded me, cheering me on and fanning with posters to help keep me cool. They were the best. About 15 minutes in I was down to 31.5 mph. I was hurting. I couldn't even talk to my teammates when they asked me questions. I poured water on my head to help stay cool.

3 minutes to go. My teammates informed me I had more miles than my male neighbors racing for competitive teams and I was about to pass the 12 mile marker. I pressed back on my sit bones and dug deep bringing my pace back up to 32 and 33 mph.

I finished with 13.37 miles and managed not to puke or pass out :D !!!!
DH had 14.7 miles. DH's team won their division! The top cyclists had 16 and 17 miles.

This event doesn't have separate male and female categories, they only award the first place person from each heat and then the top three overall teams. So, I didn't win anything. But, if you were to check the individual standings and scrolled down a ways, the second female name you'd find is me!!!! The woman in front of me beat me by less than a mile. Next year, she better watch out!

Fore more info on The Ride:
http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/features-0/1173714304294400.xml&coll=8&thispage=1

limewave
03-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I wish I had a picture of all the bikes lined up next to each other on trainers. It was pretty cool. But, here are the pictures that my parents took. Gotta love parents. My parents go to everything still even though I'm almost 30, married, and have my own kids. Anyways, here they are . . .

BikeMomma
03-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Looks fun, Limewave! You look hot....no really...you're sweating. :p Forgive me, I had to joke.

From the photos, I can see how encouraging everybody was -- that's got to be a good feeling.

Take care & hope you can make up that mile next year and then some!
~BikeMomma