PDA

View Full Version : Only in New England...

SheFly
03-16-2007, 04:54 AM
... can it be sunny and 75 on Wednesday, and then we get 6" - 18" of snow Friday/Saturday...

I had just gotten my mind all set for spring, and had been OUTSIDE on the road 5 days in a row! At least the skiing here in Bethel, ME should be good tomorrow...maybe.

SheFly

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Yep....too weird! Dusting off the snowshoes again....
But hey, I'm totally grateful for that 3 days of gorgeous biking we managed to sneak in last weekend!!! And Spring is almost here!!! :D :D

KnottedYet
03-16-2007, 06:17 AM
My Christmas tree is still up. Can I justify it, because y'all are still getting snow and skiing and snowshoeing?

DebW
03-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Oh no. Forecast calls for snow this afternoon, rain and freezing rain tonight, and drenching rain tomorrow where I am. No skiing or snowshoeing for me - just shoveling waterlogged snow.

Velobambina
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Same here in the DC area. Yesterday, in the high sixties, rain in the late afternoon & turning colder, rainy/cold most of today but as I was leaving from work, SLEET (probably turning to snow later). I hope it doesn't "ugly up" my magnolia trees, as they are just starting to bloom. Will keep my fingers crossed that the roads don't ice up so I can ride outside tomorrow am.

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-16-2007, 01:07 PM
No rain and little sleet predicted here in central NY- hoping for just a lovely 8-20" of fluff! :)

Crankin
03-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I am hoping the rain doesn't affect the snow in the woods... on the trails. About a week ago I went hiking on a local trail that was snow and ice covered, even though it had rained and been warm. I didn't bring my snow shoe pole and was mighty sorry. But I'm thinking this weekend might be a trainer/gym weekend.
And yes, I was riding Wednesday in short sleeves and a shorts. At least I've done 4 outdoor rides. We have to lead our first ride on Saturday (24th) :eek: and quite a few people have signed up. It would look bad if the leader was dropped...
Seriously, if anyone wants to join us, 1:00 PM at the Keyes Rd. municipal lot in Concord Center. It will NOT be a hammerfest, maybe 13.5-15 average. Hills, about 28 miles etc. On the 31st, same time, leaving from the Minuteman Airfield in Stow. 25 miles, lots of hills.

Robyn

SheFly
03-17-2007, 04:49 AM
How much did you end up with in Concord, Robyn? Any weather update for this morning?

It didn't start snowing in Bethel until after 6:00 pm last night. Woke up this morning to the sound of sleet hitting the aluminum roof (it's a cool sound, actually), and it looks like about 8 inches or so of accumulation. Still sleeting here though at almost 9 am.... Not sure what the skiing will be like, but we did also bring snowshoes up with us.

I'm a little worried about what we'll find when we get back to Bedford tomorrow.

SheFly

DebW
03-17-2007, 06:01 AM
At my house in Wayland we had 6-8" last night, but then sleet and probably freezing rain overnight, so now there is about 4" of very wet crusty snow. I got home at 7:30 last night and had to leave my car in the street with flashers on while I shoveled through the plowpile at the bottom of my driveway. Got the car about 1/2 way up the steep part of the driveway and now it is thoroughly ice-covered. Already spent 1.5 hours shoveling and probably another 4+ hours to go.

Crankin
03-17-2007, 07:50 AM
SheFly, we had about ten inches in Concord. I don't think it rained as much as predicted. The top is crusty and heavy/icy, but underneath is powder. I was outside about an hour ago, shoveling out the bike shed and it was still sleeting, but, I think that is slowing down. You might come home to a frozen mess! I think my shoveling will count as my exercise today, along with some yoga, later. My husband is leaving for Europe and I have stuff to do. Tomorrow, I definitely will snow shoe or x country ski. Then, I want to put those things away until next year!
64 degrees predicted for Friday...

CycleChic06
03-17-2007, 09:14 AM
This snow sucks! We got about 8 inches or so in Arlington. A two inch crust of ice on top of 6 inches of really heavy wet packed snow. I can't get out of my driveway...the snow is just so heavy to shovel! My brother out in Amherst got 15 inches! Wish I could get my car out so I could go snowboarding today...

Is it terrible if I just leave my driveway covered in snow until it warms up to 60 next week and melts everything??

spazzdog
03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Sorry... couldn't help myself.

It's been in the high 70's here in Oakland and in the 80's over in San Ramon where I work.

Though you grrls are fabulous, I do NOT miss New England weather at all.

Spazz (puttin on some tanning lotion :D )

SheFly
03-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the weather updates, ladies! We actually ended up with close to a foot up here in Bethel. Skiing was like riding your boards on granulated sugar when we started - until it switched over to freezing rain and then rain. Conditions were difficult to say the least - I heard at least one woman asking for her money back since she couldn't manage. My legs are killing me now - lots of bumps, stopping every 2 mins to clear ice off goggles, and soaking wet.

We will likely use the same approch to clearing the driveway in Bedford that we used here - put the truck in 4-wheel drive and pack it down :D . I'm with you CyclChick - leave it until next week when it will melt.

Oh, and Spazz - I was in CA last week for work (Palo Alto), and the temps were definitely nice, and the flowers were blooming. While we may be complaining about the weather now, I don't think I could ever manage without four seasons, and this is all just part of the package when you live in New England....

Stay safe everyone! Don't over exert if you're shoveling, and DRIVE CAREFULLY!

SheFly

BleeckerSt_Girl
03-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Well we got 16" of snow last night. Still shoveling!....Happily, no sleet or ice on top of it. After shoveling and then resting, I'm going out in the woods later to snowshoe. :p

Later on.....Got back from the woods...here's a snowshoeing report and a snow picture for those interested:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=180841#post180841

ridebikeme
03-17-2007, 03:26 PM
AHHHH... I agree with you!! I too, live in western Maine and was out on my bike all week! Although after all of the snow and rain from the past two days, it does indeed sound as though we may be out again this upcoming week. I live in the same area, maybe we'll meet on the road someday!

bambu101
03-17-2007, 05:25 PM
We got close to 20" of snow here in western Massachusetts.
We spent hours shoveling and plowing out even though it was mostly powder with a thin crust of sleet on top.

Enough already- bring on the daffodils!!!!!! (And cycling)

Surlygirl
03-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Sorry... couldn't help myself.

It's been in the high 70's here in Oakland and in the 80's over in San Ramon where I work.

Though you grrls are fabulous, I do NOT miss New England weather at all.

Spazz (puttin on some tanning lotion :D )

You are a bad bad woman. For a minute I thought it was
CorsairMac up to her old taunts. You miss us though right :D
How are things out west spazz? Besides sunny, warm and gorgeous.

spazzdog
03-18-2007, 03:55 PM
no complaints Surly... could always use a better source of income, but I'm getting by and the dog has kibble in his bowl.

I miss you peeples... I have no missing at all for the place.

hugs! spazz

SheFly
03-19-2007, 03:49 AM
I can hardly move today.

On pulling up to the house yesterday, we found a driveway that was covered in ice and snow, and all the frozen plow dung at the end of the drive, as you all predicted. After unloading and sliding UP the driveway to the house, it was time for the shovels.

I literally had to take a garden shovel and CHOP the entire driveway so that DH could follow with a shovel to get it all up. With the ice on the top, there was no other effective way to do this. We did have the snowblower working for ahwile, but then it just stopped - leaving us with all of the heavy lifting!

It took us over two hours to clean out, and we're both suffering for it this morning. I REALLY hope this is the end of the snow for the year.

Oh, and to top it all of, I had to ride the stinkin' trainer in the basement yesterday! ACK! Enough of that already...

SheFly

Duck on Wheels
03-19-2007, 09:11 AM
We got close to 20" of snow here in western Massachusetts.
We spent hours shoveling and plowing out even though it was mostly powder with a thin crust of sleet on top.

Enough already- bring on the daffodils!!!!!! (And cycling)

Here's what to do when you have that much snow:
Enjoy! http://blink.dagbladet.no/nmv/?op=ViewCompetitionContent&compid=32007&contentid=1112655

DebW
03-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Here's what to do when you have that much snow:
Enjoy! http://blink.dagbladet.no/nmv/?op=ViewCompetitionContent&compid=32007&contentid=1112655

Not on this snow. It's like cement on top. Doing what that guy did, you'd take lots of speed but the landing would break bones and cause concussions. :eek:

tygab
03-19-2007, 07:33 PM
heh, yes, I have 8 inches of bulletproof snow on my deck. My husband yesterday came in and said something like "Remember when you were a kid and could walk on the snow? Well I can walk on the snow." (without breaking the surface)

At least it is supposed to warm up again soon. And spring is only 2 days away!

telegirl
03-20-2007, 03:59 AM
We went skiing at Pico on Saturday and ended up looking like glazed donuts - covered head to toe in a layer of ice. I was all excited to see the temps this morning, but then watched the newscast and saw that we are supposed to be below zero tonight.

I'm with you, Shefly, I had come to terms with winter being over and looking forward to consistent riding and now this. With ice. On the other hand, Hubby went skiing at Bolton yesterday and said it was the best skiing that he had in VT all year- Some places didn't get that ice coating-

Come on Spring, I know you can do it! Come on!!!! Although I love winter, I'm just ready to get on my bike more consistently.

CycleChic06
03-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Well with absolute minimal shoveling (a little at the end of the driveway where there's a slight incline and I couldn't make it up it in the snow) it's all starting to melt! I could actually see pavement in spots I had driven over that had been ice the last few days.

I'm never shoveling again...

DebW
03-21-2007, 05:09 AM
I'm never shoveling again...

There was a time I though that global warming might solve the shoveling problem, but I had to give up on it when the snow stayed around for months. With March snows, on the other hand, one can truly hope.

Surlygirl
03-23-2007, 02:34 PM
The weather report just said we are suppose to have 5 inches of snow here in the Blackstone Valley on Saturday. Will it never end. CorsairMac where are you. Feel my pain girl. The only good news is its suppose to be near 70 by Tuesday. Only in New England.

SheFly
03-24-2007, 03:48 PM
The weather report just said we are suppose to have 5 inches of snow here in the Blackstone Valley on Saturday. Will it never end. CorsairMac where are you. Feel my pain girl. The only good news is its suppose to be near 70 by Tuesday. Only in New England.

I'm with you - no kind words for Mother Nature today. Three more great days of riding outside, and now we're supposed to get S*** again... As Deb said, at least in March it goes quick, but the roads have just barely dried up from the last storm...

YIKES! :eek:

SheFly

Crankin
03-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I did "normal people" stuff on Sunday (after yoga), even though it was nice enough to ride by later in the PM. If anyone wants to come on our ride this Saturday, it starts at Minuteman Airfield in Stow at 1 PM. It's about 25 miles, with plenty of climbing. Some of you have been on these roads with me before; it should be fun.
And afterwards we can eat at Nancy's Cafe (or drink wine, have coffee).

Robyn

ridebikeme
04-05-2007, 02:40 AM
WEll, it certainly is beautiful this morning... although having over 18" of new snow doesn't excite me a whole lot right now HA!! and the good news is that it is still snowing AGH!! I quess that's why I never put my trainer up... back on it tonight! HA!!

Enjoy everyone!!

Surlygirl
04-05-2007, 05:01 AM
I must say, its sort of ironic we had no snow all winter and as soon as spring comes we get dumped on. The ground is white here but I don't think its going to last long. It was sort of pretty this morning.

Crankin
04-05-2007, 07:28 AM
It is pretty, but quickly melting, thankfully...
Tomorrow I was going to go on the first Friday morning series ride that AMC does, since I have the day off. But now, I don't know if it will be held because of road conditions.
I might ride my newly remodeled Voodoo mtb to do errands. I must say it looks really cool as a commuter bike!