PDA

View Full Version : yay Moab!

han-grrl
03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm so excited!! My hubby just booked our trip to Moab! I can't wait!

Anyone on this board out there?

AuntieK
03-13-2007, 08:24 PM
You know, I've lived in Utah my whole life, and I've never made it to Moab. Someday soon I hope!
Are you planning on riding while you're there? Road bike or are you doing the slick rock?
Either way, I hope you have fun!:D

Running Mommy
03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
And I do mean SAAAWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTT!! :D
I love it there. I ride the road (arches NP) and the husband and son take to the dirt. It is so peaceful there. I just feel happy when I'm in moab.
Funny tho, I was just lamenting to the hubby how we need a trip to moab..
Have fun! You will LOVE it!

han-grrl
03-14-2007, 02:28 AM
We'll be riding trail...but maybe we can rent a couple of road bikes for a day or so...

I have heard riding there is something else...

sulis
03-14-2007, 04:27 AM
I absolutely adore Moab. It is so beautiful there. And this is the perfect time of year to go - before the high heat sets in. Temps are nice in the day but it can get cool in the shade, so bring lots of different layers. Hmmm...now I really want to go to Moab. :p

My personal recommendations:

If you rent a road bike - ride the Pot Ash Road. Its not long but there are Indian Petroglyphs easy to see from the road and the scenery along the river is beautiful. And there are often rock climbers, fun to watch.

Arches National Park - a must see. Many of the arches are not that long of a hike. My favorite is Sandstone Arch. The hike to the famous Delicate Arch is a few miles. But there are alternate shorter hikes which will give you a good view of the arch.

Dead Horse Point - its a long winding drive but if this is your first trip to Moab, it is definitely worth the drive to see the spectacular view.

Not sure if it is open yet but if it is, I highly recommend spending the $$ and doing Canyonlands by Night. You usually have to make reservations. Basically you load a boat at dusk and they take you up the River telling you stories and pointing out features of the canyon. It is my favorite.

Its kind of kitchy - but drive the little bit out of town to check out the Hole in the Rock. Someone carved a house out of the rock face. Definitely very touristy (and I normally avoid this) but its kind of a funny thing to see...and doesn't take that long so good afternoon/evening activity.

Ask around about the wild horses - sometimes you can get lucky enough to see them...but I'm not quite sure where they are this time of year. I of course have never been so lucky...but I know they roam that area.

Have a wonderful trip and be sure to post all the details (and pictures) when you get back!

han-grrl
03-14-2007, 04:56 AM
Hey Sulis

thanks for the recommendations...we haven't planned the details of the trip at all...i think we were going to wing it a bit...but that is definitely food for thought...

Smile

Han

DeniseGoldberg
03-14-2007, 05:00 AM
That's awesome! I'm not a mountain biker, but I took two trips to Moab with my road bike and had a great time. If you're interested in some photos, I have a journal for those trips at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/denise2001moab. Unfortunately those trips were pre-digital camera days for me, but the photos still give you an idea of the beauty of the area.

--- Denise

SadieKate
03-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Wonderful. The area is so gorgeous. We'll be there a couple days before heading out on a mountain bike tour. I just found out that I have to be in Las Vegas earlier in the week and Bubba has approved me just flying straight to Grand Junction or somewhere I can grab a shuttle and get there a day early just to hang out (in the motel doing work), but I'll only have to drive one way.

bcipam
03-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Moab is probably one of my favorite places for riding - both road and mountain. In fact the whole state of Utah is mighty fine. Really thing about retiring out there some day. =sigh= someday...

bcipam
03-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I My personal recommendations:

Arches National Park - a must see. Many of the arches are not that long of a hike. My favorite is Sandstone Arch. The hike to the famous Delicate Arch is a few miles. But there are alternate shorter hikes which will give you a good view of the arch.

Dead Horse Point - its a long winding drive but if this is your first trip to Moab, it is definitely worth the drive to see the spectacular view.

Lord do not drive - ride out there!!! Take a road bike. Follow the routes done during the Moab Skinny Tire Festival (see skinnytirefestival.com). The climb up to Arches from the main road is a doozer but once you hit the Courthouse area you'll be glad to have done it!

Dead Horse is a grind uphill all the way but an awesome downhill plunge once you enjoy the views!!!

sulis
03-15-2007, 04:24 AM
Lord do not drive - ride out there!!! Take a road bike. Follow the routes done during the Moab Skinny Tire Festival (see skinnytirefestival.com). The climb up to Arches from the main road is a doozer but once you hit the Courthouse area you'll be glad to have done it!

Dead Horse is a grind uphill all the way but an awesome downhill plunge once you enjoy the views!!!

Sure riding is definitely the preferred alternative but I personally am not yet in shape for that type of distance and climbing. But for anyone who is - definitely ride. Me, I still use the trust car and then bike when I get to the flater areas. We all do what we can. :D

han-grrl
03-15-2007, 05:44 AM
thanks for sharing denise, those pictures are AMAzING! i think i will get more than my mtb fix, but definitely a dose of inspiration a well!

That's awesome! I'm not a mountain biker, but I took two trips to Moab with my road bike and had a great time. If you're interested in some photos, I have a journal for those trips at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/denise2001moab. Unfortunately those trips were pre-digital camera days for me, but the photos still give you an idea of the beauty of the area.

--- Denise