PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Monitors

DDH
03-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Okay, I have done several different searches on Heart rate monitors trying to find something without having to ask because I know it probably has already been asked and I hate being the one to repeat. Anywho, from my weight loss post, several of you mentioned that I need to get a HRM, so I am trying to do some research on a good one so I don't buy something that doesn't do what I need and I can't spend a whole lot of money on it. Probably around $100 or maybe a litte more. For those of you who use them, can you tell me what a good one is and what I need to look for.
I would guess I need something that shows calories burned and max HR and stuff like that. I am not even sure how to figure out what my Max HR is, or how to go about it. I want to get fit not just lose weight, but I am new to all the fitness stuff. It all seems so confusing sometimes.
Can anyone help a mixed up wanna be fit person. LOL:D

han-grrl
03-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Here is a link to a calculator for HR zones
http://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitness/heartrate_zones.asp

its very important to also use rate of preceived exertion, IE how it feels, because HR's can vary from day to day...

http://www.smccd.net/accounts/mcgill/RPE.html

or talk test, so the harder it gets, the harder it is to talk...

once you get used to this, you will start to notice breathing changes. Physiologically, your breathing rates will adjust BEFORE you sense burning in the legs. So its good to get a handle on what the breathing is for various intensities.

beetle
03-12-2007, 09:52 PM
I like numbers but to be honest I think HRMs that down load info to your PC and have 4 automatically calculated workout zones a waste of time and money.

I bought my (relatively simple) Cardiosport Go 30 (or 35) (http://www.cardiosport.com/go30.html) HRM 3 years ago and have not yet seen the need to upgrade it.

It has:
- max, avg and min HR
- one manually programable zone (and calculates time in the zone) so you can set an audible alarm to let you know when you go outside the zone
- calorie counter
- stopwatch and countdown timer

It is small enough that I wear the watch when not training and don't feel it looks stupid. The strap is comfortable and works fine with any gym equipment that I've run into so far.

I bought it is the UK but think it would be around than US$100.

han-grrl
03-13-2007, 03:05 AM
beetle -

i tend to agree. pick the items you want specifically that will help yo uwork out.

i wanted an HR that displayed my HR and the time, or some kind of time, so that i can do my intervals.

mine is a timex and cost me about 80$ canadian. its available at Mountain Equipment Coop online. (i didn't buy it there thoughi bought it at a conference).

i'm not crazy about the polar brand simply because when the strap battery dies you actually have to ship it back to polar. to me i still feel its an inconvenience. but i know the watches themselves are quite good.

somepeople love having the download and the charts. but think about what will keep YOU motivated to continue.

Smile
Han

equus123
04-10-2007, 11:33 AM
i have a Nike Imara, $99. does all the simple things i need to see.

-current HR (bpm or % max)
-timer
-data (after you stop the timer. shows time, calories burned, avg HR)

if you're looking for general fitness (vs. training for racing) then a general max HR could be used. since you probably won't need to have HR specific intervals that dance the line between aerobic and anaerobic that you would need to know exactly then you can calculate your max (220 - <AGE>) and use those zones. if you're trying to lose weight you'll probably be very familiar with zone 2. :)

VeloVT
04-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I have the Timex Bodylink system and the Nike Imara. I received the Imara as a (very thoughtful) gift; while it's better looking than pretty much any other hrm on the market, I really don't understand how Nike thinks it can get by with charging $99 for something without a stopwatch -- oh, it has a "timer", but not a stopwatch, so you can't take splits, you can only start and stop. Since I use it primarily for running, this is a fatal flaw for me.

The Bodylink system is pricey because it includes a GPS unit (which is officially THE greatest training toy ever), but Timex makes basic hrms for around $80. The chest strap is more comfortable than the Nike chest strap in my opinion. I've always had good luck with Timex sports watches, they're super easy to use/program and a good value.

All of this said, I'm having trouble finding motivation to actually use my hrm, since the few times I have used it my PRE is radically misaligned with my hrm &#37;s. I recently did a 12-mile run averaging just under 8:00/mile. I ran the second half faster than the first, so while I was definitely putting in a good effort, I must have been under my lactate threshhold (I would say my PRE was around a 6-7) -- according to the hrm, I was at 90% of max for pretty much the whole run -- from everything I've read about hr zones, you're just not supposed to be able to sustain that level of exertion for that long, and it's supposed to REALLY HURT, not just be moderately hard work. My hr max on my hrm is set at 216, (not sure if this is right but it's the highest I was able to attain during a hill-sprint session), so I don't think the problem is that I have my max set too low... So hrms/the whole hr zone thing are a bit of an enigma to me right now.

Sorry for the digression. Didn't mean to hijack. If you aren't interested in downloading data, basic Timex hrms are great imo. The Timexes that can download are expensive, and I've read that the Timex PC software leaves a lot to be desired. Everyone seems to love Polar software, so if data is important to you that might be a better option.

Good luck!!!