PDA

View Full Version : Using your glutes

Rebecca
06-29-2004, 04:45 PM
I have been riding for some time and am concentrating on using the correct technique. I am falling into the trap of using my quads to produce the force on my pedals and not utilising my glutes. Does anyone have any tips to maintain the use of the glutes through out the ride.

bounceswoosh
06-29-2004, 08:14 PM
I recently was lectured on this ... lemme see if I can remember what was said ...

If you're using proper posture so that your upper body is being supported by your core, not your hands, you'll be more likely to use your glutes.

Try thinking of pedalling as pushing/pulling forward and back, rather than up and down.

One suggestion was to try pedalling in a much higher gear than you normally would, just to get a feel for proper technique. When you have to pedal hard, you'll find your body more naturally using more efficient technique (or so I was told).

Cdalekat
06-30-2004, 06:40 AM
I use two things to focus on my glutes -

1 - I try to walk using my glutes instead of my quads. This gives me the practice of focusing on them.

2 - I focus on spinning from the hip, not from the leg. The motion starts at the hip joint, and I've found if I focus on that, I use my glutes naturally.

annie
06-30-2004, 07:16 PM
What Cdalekat said about spinning from the hips is good sense.
When you spinning, try and think of bringing your knee around and up to meet your handlebars. It won't, of course, but it will get you pulling all the way through the pedal stroke.:)

I find when I ride in the drops, or on the aerobars, that I automatically use my glutes more. I think the bent over position brings those muscles into play without even consciously thinking about it. And since they are some of the biggest muscles in our bodies, why not use them?? :D

annie

caligurl
07-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by annie
I find when I ride in the drops, or on the aerobars, that I automatically use my glutes more. I think the bent over position brings those muscles into play without even consciously thinking about it. And since they are some of the biggest muscles in our bodies, why not use them?? :D

annie

i noticed this! wow! i can't go too far in the drops yet.. but i'm trying to do some each time i ride! i REALLY feel it!

Maine-iac
07-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Something I have found to work well is by "throwing" your thighs forward, especially when climbing.
Works for me..

snapdragen
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
If you ever have the opportunity to use a Computrainer, do it! It's a computer hooked up to a trainer, and it shows you what muscles you're using, and with how much power, etc. It was soooo frustrating for me when I first went on it, and saw I was only using my quads. It took some practice, but I was finally able to even things out and use quads, butt, etc.