PDA

View Full Version : 8-hour XC Event

Deanna
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm not a XC rider, but this race/event is benefiting the bicycle coalition I belong to, so I thought I'd post it for any who might be interested.

http://www.bikemonkey.net/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.boggsII&page=format

velogirl
03-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Deanna, you might want to re-post this in mtn biking (not cyclocross) or CA.

maillotpois
03-08-2007, 06:48 AM
This is the event DH and brother in law and a couple of friends are planning to do. Cool!

SadieKate
03-08-2007, 10:59 AM
We've been considering such events but I can't even find the date. Is it just my computer? Something isn't loading?

Adventure Girl
03-08-2007, 11:03 AM
We've been considering such events but I can't even find the date. Is it just my computer? Something isn't loading?Boggs Demonstration State Forest, March 31st, 2007.

It took a while for me to find the date, too. It's at the very top top top of the page on the right.

SadieKate
03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow, great page design. It blends right into the bars across the IE window.

There's so much going on this time of year. AGA, are you doing it?

Adventure Girl
03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, great page design. It blends right into the bars across the IE window.

There's so much going on this time of year. AGA, are you doing it?Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about their page design. Their alternate date is shown, but you really had to search for the actual date.

I won't be doing it. I don't even know where Boggs Demonstration State Forest is. I looked at their map and couldn't figure it out. And the weather could be kind of iffy in March! 8-hour solo in the rain/mud would be really unpleasant!!!

I'm doing 24-hours of Adrenalin again in Monterey in June. I'm doing 8-hour solo. They also have an 8-hour 2-man class and a bunch of 24-hour classes.

maillotpois
03-08-2007, 11:33 AM
It looks like it is between Lake County and Sonoma County - way north, off the 29. Has to be in Sonoma County for the beneficiary.

I will give a report once the GP has done it.

SadieKate
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Boggs Mtn is near Cobb Mtn, the turn around for the Davis 300k brevet. It's north past Middletown on 175. I think the forest staff built the trails for training purposes. I'm dredging this up out of the murkey depths of my gray matter, what little there is.

maillotpois
03-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Why is it a "demonstration state forest"? What is that? Like it's a forest trying to demonstrate something??

:confused:

SadieKate
03-08-2007, 11:48 AM
MP, I just looked it up. Cobb is only 23 miles north of Calistoga and 7 miles north of Midddletown, though it is the last place up there to get supplies. you guys were very close on the Davis Double. On the DD, didn't you hang a right at Middletown and head for Lower Lake? Only way to get around Lake Berryessa.

SadieKate
03-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Smart azz. It's a demonstration forest because they work on ways to "use" a forest compatibly with commercial, recreational and ecological concerns. I'll see if I can find a link.

I've been wanting to ride up there for a long time but the timing has to be right. Horribly hot in the summer.

maillotpois
03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
That sounds right. I need to just ponder a map of that area some time. That Calistoga to Middletown stretch is another piece of road (like Chalk Hill turnoff to Calistoga) that I haven't ridden before and should. Parts of that are on Knoxville also.

But seriously: "Demonstration state forest"????

SadieKate
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Your state dollars at work perfecting forestry management.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/rsrc-mgt_content/downloads/stateforests.pdf

SadieKate
03-08-2007, 12:00 PM
That sounds right. I need to just ponder a map of that area some time. That Calistoga to Middletown stretch is another piece of road (like Chalk Hill turnoff to Calistoga) that I haven't ridden before and should. Parts of that are on Knoxville also.I'd do some serious resarch on that first. Highway 29 is very heavily traveled by trucks, etc. 29 north of Calistoga is very narrow, very windy and steep. I think you said you'd never been to Calistoga by way of the Silverado trail. There is a 3-way intersection of the Silverado, 29 and Tubbs. The traffic coming down from 29 is very thick. Count me out. I think everyone in the north bay or north wine country uses that route to get over to I-5.

We drive it for the rare times we've mountain biked up Mt. St Helena.

Perhaps explore the Old Toll Highway but it looks steeper according to the Krebs map, but it wouldn't have traffic.

maillotpois
03-08-2007, 12:12 PM
That's very interesting about the Demonstration State Forests. You probably knew that before. Thanks for the traffic heads up. I don't know when I would even try doing it - now I probably won't!

Deanna
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
It is in Lake County, but I can't remember exactly how to get there. I mountain biked there once many years ago (when I still rode my mountain bike). It was pretty for a demonstration forest (better than Jackson State Forest in Mendocino). But there were pine/redwood needles all over the trails and you had to be careful not to slip.

Thank you Velogirl for the suggestion about other postings. I guess it's even more obvious now that I'm not a cross rider.