PDA

View Full Version : "Cycling specific orthotics"???

love2bike
03-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Hi - Has anyone here ever heard of (or have gotton) Cycling Specific orthotics for people who suffer from plantar facitiis?

My husband found a web site for them and our podiatrist has never heard of them....

We would appreciate the imput before he shells out $200 for them.

Thanks

KnottedYet
03-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Yup, there is such a thing.

The podiatrist you go to will mold your feet with plaster and gauze, and hold your foot in a cycling position as the gauze dries.

When they send the molds in to the fabricator they will specify the posting and such for a cycling shoe.

If you aren't actually getting this done BY a podiatrist IN their office, then $200 is a rip-off. (in that case you are better off going to a good shoe store, getting Superfeet for $35 and having metatarsal pads put on them for $10. A really good shoe store will post the Superfeet for cycling for an additional $15.)

Offthegrid
03-06-2007, 11:22 AM
I have a pair of custom orthotics that I use in my cycling shoes. I had to pay extra to get the second pair made that would be narrower than my running shoes. The custom orthotics make my shoe feel soooooo much more comfortable but I never had pain while riding only while walking/jogging.

if your insurance doesn't cover custom orthotics, then try getting BFOs. (Or your podiatrist may have them. My podiatrist gave me these temporarily until I got the custom orthotics. They cost $20 total and were very comfortable.)

chickwhorips
03-06-2007, 12:39 PM
i have a real pair of orthotics and a made cheap pair before my custom ones came in. the "cheap" pair i have in cycling shoes.

also like knot said, superfeet (http://www.superfeet.com/activity/cycling.aspx) have one specifically for cycling shoes.

avsbike
03-06-2007, 06:10 PM
I didn't know these existed, so thanks for sharing this information. Also, I feel silly for asking this, but could someone review what "correct" foot positioning is on the pedal/clip/cage? I've always been taught not to bend your foot out, but to keep it slightly flexed toward one's shin (?), or flat against the pedal. I'm not sure what angles these would be???? Thanks.

love2bike
03-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks so much for sharing girls! Our LBS has Superfeet and it sounds like it's just what he needs!
Patty