PDA

View Full Version : Long and Less Long Runs: 3-5 to 3-11

KSH
03-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Well, today is a beautiful day! It's warm with no wind! I went outside and ran at lunch.

Got in 3.25 miles at a 10:10 minute mile.

Great day to run... that's for sure.

I hope all you ladies have a great week of running ahead.

yellow
03-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I ran on pavement :eek: this afternoon with my running buddy who I have not actually run with for quite some time. We had a nice anaerobic chat since she's been down with a neck injury and I'm still battling this crud. But we made it 4 miles and got mostly caught up on all the important gossip!

I know it's not running, but I went skate skiing this am and saw 2 moose, a cow and a calf (at a distance, thankfully)! They were so pretty wallowing in the snow. And it was HOT this morning...about 41*F! I kept thinking "thank goodness it doesn't snow in the summer...I couldn't ski if it were any warmer than this!!" :rolleyes: (I know, that sounds dumb...) It clouded up and cooled off a little bit for my run. Whew.

limewave
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm BACK!

I was on a hiatus for a couple of weeks. Anyway, I went for an icy 4 mile run tonight. It was cold. My skin is all itchy from wind burn. I think it was about 10 degrees and dropping. But, it felt good to be out there. I've been slacking off on the mileage, it's time to get back to work.

Yellow--you saw a moose! When we went to NH, we looked for Moose everywhere and we finally saw one from a long distance away. I'd love to see one close up. It's kind of a dream of mine. I love moose. The most exotic animals I see on my runs are fox and swans. I guess those aren't really exotic animals. Anyways . . .

KSH
03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Yellow--you saw a moose! When we went to NH, we looked for Moose everywhere and we finally saw one from a long distance away. I'd love to see one close up. It's kind of a dream of mine. I love moose. The most exotic animals I see on my runs are fox and swans. I guess those aren't really exotic animals. Anyways . . .

Well, fox and swans are exotic compared to the squirrels... and dead squirrels I see while running! :D

Grog
03-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Oooh, dreadful:

I hadn't ran since a light run (in lieu of speedwork) Friday night. No run (nor much sport to tell you the truth) on the weekend, and Monday is traditionally (!) off.

Well this morning was not really fun. My legs just weren't very responsive. We did a gentle 6km. Well, gentle for us: we run that hill (a bit above one mile, a bit above 5%) twice a week and it's usually not that bad. Anyway, at the bottom I had to tell my running partner to just wait for me at the top. I couldn't take steps small enough.

I have a sprint triathlon coming this Sunday. I don't want to make hard efforts this week but that's a bit scary. And the bike... geez. (Not to say anything about the swim but I have no expectations there.) I haven't had much time or motivation to train for that one, as I'm in the middle of gruesome comprehensive examinations for my PhD. Anyways, I guess I'll just aim for a smile at the finish.

Thanks for letting me worry.

KSH
03-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Ran at the track after work tonight.

3 miles in 30 minutes.

Oh my legs are so stiff and sore. I'm hobbling around.

KSH
03-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I have a sprint triathlon coming this Sunday. I don't want to make hard efforts this week but that's a bit scary. And the bike... geez. (Not to say anything about the swim but I have no expectations there.) I haven't had much time or motivation to train for that one, as I'm in the middle of gruesome comprehensive examinations for my PhD. Anyways, I guess I'll just aim for a smile at the finish.

Thanks for letting me worry.

Grog... DO NOT WORRY!

Tri's are suppose to be fun. Do what you can to train. Exams COME FIRST! That will improve your life and pay your bills... tri's won't. Worry about what really matters.

Good luck on Sunday!

rocknrollgirl
03-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi Ya,
I just got in from my hill workout....9 repeats on the hill in the SNOW..i sucked in snowflakes...cough, cough...

Total about.....3 miles...

and then once again I was forced in an act of total desperation to get on the trainer....45 mins this time. Lordy I don't like that contraption.

watch out boys....I am gunning for you.

Grog
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Grog... DO NOT WORRY!

Tri's are suppose to be fun. Do what you can to train. Exams COME FIRST! That will improve your life and pay your bills... tri's won't. Worry about what really matters.

Good luck on Sunday!

Hehe :)

I'm not a worrier in general. But frankly sometimes I wonder if I really have more chances to earn a living by finishing my PhD than by become a pro triathlete!! (And it is understood that my chances of becoming a pro-triathlete are way less than slim.)

:D

It WILL be fun I'm sure (as long as I don't drown on the swim). :D

Shiraz
03-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow what a difference it makes when the weather is nice! I ran 5 miles and then did 1 1/2 miles of interval training. It is such a mood booster to get the sun and warm temps. Almost as good as chocolate....okay maybe not but a close second:D

yellow
03-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Shiraz...we had you beat temp wise. It was a whopping 60 here this afternoon (thankfully it is cloudy). I thought I was going to collapse from heat stroke. :rolleyes: Did a hilly 6.5 miles on pavement (trail is too mucky). My knee does not like pavement. :mad: Lots of people out enjoying the warm weather before the storm hits tonight (just a li'l one).

emily_in_nc
03-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Lovely day today! It was still in the 60s when I got home from work, so I did another (approx.) 3 mile trail run, then walked on the trails with my DH to cool down, so about 5 miles total. I felt stronger tonight than when I did this same run/walk on Monday night.

Out of interest, I wore my HRM and my HR was above 160 for most of the run. On the downhills it would fall into the 150s, but then I'd go up and back up it went - max. HR 177. When walking the same trails it was only in the 120s to 130s, so it's pretty obvious why trail running is such a hard workout. When I run on the treadmill it stays in the 150s, which also explains why that is easier than the trails.

It's SO nice to be outside again!!

Emily

Shiraz
03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey,
Can't believe it was 60 degree's! I think we are looking at 50's all week. Yeah! I chated with my running buddy for the 1/2 SLC and we are planning on bringing our bikes. Do you want to plan a "recovery " ride on Sunday after the 1/2 mary?? We may be slow but would love for you to show us a great ride.
Glad to hear you are out on the pavement beating up your joints with the rest of us!!

Wahine
03-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Ran about 6 miles yesterday with 3 loooooonnnnnng hills - about 4:30 min each - in a zone 5! :eek: :eek:

My baby cows are sore again today.

rocknrollgirl
03-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Baby cows...LOL....it took me a sec.........

Wahine
03-08-2007, 06:30 AM
You did well. Lots of people don't get it. DH and I often play with words like this.

Lizard butt = draggin' azz
chicken b00bs = chicken breasts

Well you get the idea.

This morning I have a mild case of lizard butt with whining baby cows.

alpinerabbit
03-08-2007, 08:46 AM
9 repeats on the hill in the SNOW..
Total about.....3 miles...

Awwww.... that's a 400 m hill? 9 times???
ouch...

"be mindful of the living force, young padwan".

Gods. I have so far to go.

KSH
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Went out at lunch and ran 5.20 miles in 58 minues. Roughly a 11:10 minute mile. It was a long, slow, distance day.

My knees hurt some during the run as did my feet. Time to bust out the new running shoes.

I fought a side cramp the whole way... which has been par for the course lately. I am going to work on my form to see if that helps the issue any.

Also, when I was getting dressed, I realized I left my sports bra at home. UGH. So I wore the bra I wore to work. Luckily I was able to put it in a dryer at the gym, so I could put back on after running!

Overall though it was a good run and it was nice to get out in the warm weather. Now I just have to remember to put on sun block because I am getting tan lines!

rocknrollgirl
03-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Lizard butt must be going around....I just got in from a 30 min recovery run...slow, heavy legs today....

And Alpine rabbit...the hills go like so....

warm up about 6 mins on the flat...

9 hill repeats...the hills 220 yards up, so 440 round trip cool down

so all together about 3 miles, I think the hills are about 2 miles worth

Not so impressive when I break it down that way....

but hell, I am old so...not so bad for a middle aged woman!!!!

Shiraz
03-09-2007, 08:12 AM
I ran 3 miles on the dread mill today and planning a long run of 10 miles tomorrow out inthe country with running buds. I can't believe how much longer a run on the tread mill takes. Good luck ladies on your long runs this weekend.:p

Bluetree
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Well, after my back pains from last month I was very tentative about running again.

Fortunately, just four doors down from my place, the city installed a new 1/2 mile running path at the park! I tested it out this week (along with my new pair of Asics Gel Kayanos) and it feels like a dream. The track is a cushy, cork-like substance made of recycled tires and wood, much like the surfaces found in high-end horse barns.

I did two easy miles to test it on Sunday, and have run 3 miles on it every day (except Wed) with no back worries at all. IT'S GREAT!!!! I'm still slow, but I feel like I can work on my speed drills without fearing a painful backlash. So chalk up 14 miles for me this week plus an upcoming brick tomorrow.

Here's a pic of my tax dollars at work:

Grog
03-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Here's a pic of my tax dollars at work:

Wow! Lucky girl. That looks like one great running track!!!

Tri Girl
03-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Wow- that trail looks sooooo nice to run on!!! So, it bounces and gives a little, eh??? How VERY nice! Now, see, that's why your housing costs are ridiculous out there in Cali- all those property taxes are paying for cushy running trails... it all makes sense. ;)

colby
03-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Hmm, let's see. I worked all weekend last weekend (daylight savings time migration, lucky me). Monday was 3 miles or so easy (I did a couple of hill repeats, whenever I end up less than 4-5 miles I try to do the hills at least twice). Tuesday 1 hour of yoga conditioning with weighted gloves. Wednesday work early, horrible day. Thursday 4 or so miles at a good pace. Friday 1 hour of pilates conditioning, not as challenging as the yoga but core-focused ("reduce the squishy" exercises ;)).

I'm feeling the difference in my run posture with the core exercises (pilates and yoga, some specifically core-focused, some all-body), so I'm counting it as run progress, AND I think it'll help on the bike, too.

But... I'm having a hip problem on my right side. I think it's out of alignment, or something. It only hurts if I bear weight or run more than 30 minutes (which is pretty much every day). If I don't do anything for a day, it goes away, but it comes back. I have a chiropractor appointment next week so I'll have him check it out, this is definitely not right. It doesn't feel like a stretching problem, it feels like it's externally rotated. I didn't injure it or fall or anything, it just kind of came out of nowhere.

Happy running... still catching up on threads. :)

yellow
03-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Anita--I just sent you a PM about the SLC half...

Ran a lovely 4.5 mile loop in the cemetery and the 'hood today with my running buddy and her partner. Lovely in that the weather was lovely and the company was fun.I hope we get a few days of dry weather so I can go back to the trail, though. My knee really does not like the asphalt.

Colby...good luck with your hip. I know what you mean. Sometimes it's like something just gets wrong somehow, without cause. If you don't have a foam roller, get one! They are great for your hips. I don't think I could keep running without rolling every day.

Shiraz
03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Yellow
I sent you a reply. Come join me for the 1/2 mary. Let's do It!! Sign up Yeah.

We had a yummy dinner tonight for my son in law's B-day. We cooked rib eye steak on the grill, baked potatoes with real butter and sour cream, salad, and King crab legs with garlic butter. Then my home made Jumble Berry Pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. I can hardly walk I am soooooooo full. Good thing I am running a long run tomorrow. I guess I say I carbo loaded! Ha!:D

kelownagirl
03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I went for my 3rd run today. Decided to push myself and run more than walk this time. Did a 5 minute walking warmup, then ran for 8 minutes (1 km), then stretched for a few minutes and then ran for another 10 minutes - about 30 minutes (4km) in all including walking at the end. It felt great.

Shiraz
03-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I ran 10 miles at a 10:00 overall pace with 6 miles of up hill. My running buddy is a bit faster than me so she is pushing me hard. But I survived, Yeah! Hope I can get a recovery run in tomorrow. I am on call for the hospital tomorrow and do not want to be called in:( .

rocknrollgirl
03-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi Everyone...

We did a brick today...an hour of mt biking and then a 6 mile run. It is an out and back, I took it out in 29 mins and did the return trip in 27 mins.

I was pretty happy. I have not run that far in a while. I had planned on going slower, but I got in to a pace on the way back and was able to hold the 9 min miles. It was a nice way to end my second hard week in my training cycle.

I was having a tough time mentally on the way out, but the DH stayed with me and talked me through it. Every tough workout is banked toward the first race.

Now I am tired, and my little legs hurt...tea and the couch...but a good two hour block.

One more workout tomorrow and then ....ahhh...Easy Week.....

roadie gal
03-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I actually got to run in SHORT sleeves today! It's hard to believe that we got 4 feet of snow 2 weeks ago. I was feeling so good that I wound around the local streets for an hour and 20 minutes! Now I have to take the car and see how far that was... if I can remember where-all I went.:p

Wahine
03-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I ran 10.5 miles today. I decided to forget about times and intervals etc and to stop and play with my new camera whenever I felt like it. The only rule was that my HR was not to go over 148, even on the hills. I stuck to this firmly since I do have a race tomorrow. I didn't want to be totally wiped out even if it's a dinky little training race.

So in the end I was out there for 2 hours. Very slow average for me. But I had a lot of fun. Apart from a gentle warmth in my legs tonight, they feel almost normal.:D :D