PDA

View Full Version : scratched eyeball!

Brandi
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I scratched my eyeball today while gardening. It hurt when i did it. I did a wash on it right after. And it stopped hurting but now a couple hours later it feels like there is still something there and my vision is a little weird. Like there is something in my eye. Do you go to the Dr for a scratched eyeball? Should i see how it is tomorrow sence it is sunday night and all?

makbike
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
If you think you scratched the cornea you need to see a doctor for if left untreated it could become infected or become even deeper than it already is. Do not put any medication with steroids in your eye if you think you have scratched it. Good luck and keep us posted.

LBTC
03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
See a doc for sure. I've known quite a few people who have had a scratched cornea. I think all of them have had an eye patch for a few days. I guess the blinking can irritate it. They all saw a doc in the ER, btw, and didn't wait for an appointment. And since it is affecting your vision, I think an ER visit is in order.

Hugs and healing butterflies,
~T~

kelownagirl
03-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I'd put an eye patch on it until you can get to the doctor tomorrow.

good luck. Keep us posted.

Pedal Wench
03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
See a doc for sure. I've known quite a few people who have had a scratched cornea. I think all of them have had an eye patch for a few days. I guess the blinking can irritate it. They all saw a doc in the ER, btw, and didn't wait for an appointment. And since it is affecting your vision, I think an ER visit is in order.

Hugs and healing butterflies,
~T~

Exactly! I scratched mine (halfway through a 90 mile ride) and had to ride my bike back to the car. By the time I got there, I could barely see out of either eye. By the time I got to the ER, I couldn't even open my eye enough to read the chart. They put in some pain killer to let me read the chart, but I couldn't really even see the chart, let alone tell them the letters.

I had to have antibiotic drops, plus pain meds. It healed extremely quickly, once I had the right medications. Also, if left untreated, there's a greater chance for that section of the cornea to (I think) tear again. Get it looked at.

bmccasland
03-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Been there, done that. GO TO YOUR DOCTOR! Conjunctivitis is absolutely no fun. And if you happen to wear contacts, take them out.

Brandi
03-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Well I woke up this morning and my eye seems fine now
. Maybe sleeping (keeping it closed) Made a difference. But I have woken up with a head cold! Yeaaaaaa!! Thanks for the advice everyone. the scratch was kinda on the white part of the eye by the way. Maybe that is why it is not bugging me today.

mimitabby
03-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Brandi
eyes heal really fast. it DOES feel like something is IN there when it's scratched, because it swells and is bumpy.. I'm glad you're okay today.
drink plenty of liquids, etc, etc..

pll
03-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I agree with mimitabby...

With some unwanted experience scratching (and even sun-burning on one occasion) my corneas I can tell you: (1) go to an ophthalmologist for a thorough check -- most likely, you will walk out with a prescription; (2) it feels terrible, almost like having sand in your eyes; (3) it heals fast, provided you don't have an complications.

Take care.

LBTC
03-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Even though it feels fine, Brandi, I do think a check is in order. You'd hate for there to be complications....
and if you've just gotten a head cold, don't viruses like that just love to go after whatever the weakest part is??

Get it checked, but I am glad it's feeling better!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

Brandi
03-06-2007, 01:21 PM
My eye is totally fine! Really no problems at all except for this waful head cold that is preventing me from riding!!!! tried to take a nap todya too but the trash guy wke me up. I was all cuddly with my kitty Bo too!

hellosunshine
03-24-2007, 11:08 PM
same happened to me whilst i was away,i couldnt believe the pain,stinging in waves and suddenly vision was impaired,which meant riding in the bunch was lethal,almost had me doubled up,but i did find a good sleep sorted it all out,not a nice experience,eyes are so precious,once again bodies have a wonderful way of self healing.NOT LIKE CARS.