PDA

View Full Version : I felt like such a girl today.........

Steph
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
We rode a new part of the trail labeled expert and I chickened out sooo many times! There were tons of rock gardens and quite a few of them were downhill. All I could think of was last week when I attempted going down a big rock and bit the dust pretty hard. But at least it was dirt! I knew that if I fell on those I would be falling on rock. Meanwhile my dh did them all. I think I need a trainer.

LBTC
03-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Steph, those rocks will be there for you to do later. In the meantime, focus on the parts you did and what a rush it is to be out on your bike! Yay, you! You'll do more over time!

Hugs and happy butterflies,
~T~

Mr. Bloom
03-04-2007, 03:37 AM
I knew that if I fell on those I would be falling on rock.

You are a girl...and you still did a lot more than I would have had the courage to do. Trails scare me.

It sounds like you were a SMART girl to not push yourself dangerously beyond your comfort.

You'll get there.

spokewench
03-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Steph - Keep going, you will get those rocky sections; and if you never do, you're still out there doing it and enjoying the bike.

I've been riding mountain bikes for approximately 20 years. I still get off. Sometimes more than others. Like yesterday, I went down to Sedona to ride with a girlfriend and my husband. It is pretty technical, lots of uphill ledges and down hill ledge dropoffs, rocky, off camber, steep, etc. It was my first time down to Sedona this year and I'll tell you every year, I'm the same, I just can't ride anything! A few weeks in a row and I"m better, but I still don't ride it all. It's too hard to heal when your in your late 40's.

And, sometimes, you have to realize that you are just having an off day and not to try to kill yourself. There are days when I am on and can ride lots and there are days that I'm off and can't.

Anyway, I enjoyed the day - it was great to be out of the cold windy freezing temperatures we have at home in Flag to ride in relatively warm but windy temps of Sedona and to see the wonderful scenery as well.

snowtulip
03-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Way to go Steph! With new trails you do what you can and improve from there. As spokewench said, there are times that I won't ride something I've ridden a million times, it all depends on the day.

One thing you might try that I do, is if there is a technical section I know I want to do, I stop and will try that section 3 times, if I can't do it by the 3rd I move on so I don't get frustrated, but now I've just practiced an additional 3 times (making changes each time).

Congrats on taking on the expert trail, it sounds like you're doing great!:D

Steph
03-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement, it really helps when I feel like such a loser, lol. I was thinking that next weekend I will try to walk the hard parts and map out what path I want to take and "maybe" try it. I've only been biking for about 8 months so to hear that you guys are still walking some, really makes me feel better! The reason I fell last week is because I pushed myself to do something technical when I knew I was too tired. I didn't want to make that mistake again. I kept looking around hoping noone was watching. I really used some muscles I haven't used before 'cause my right forearm is really sore.

rocknrollgirl
03-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Steph,
I have taken some spectacular falls in rock gardens. Last June I crashed twice in one day on the same side. I looked like I had been in 4 car pile up on the highway!

It is all about getting the right line. Going back and doing a walk through is a great idea. You will get it.

CyclingKat
03-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Sympathize whole-heartedly. I've only been riding mountain for about three months ... took a pretty hard fall a month ago ... did the stupid thing going too fast downhill and grabbed the brakes. Next thing I know, my partner is kneeling over me asking me if I knew my name and my birthday (which I didn't remember at first! Pretty odd feeling! Mild concussion and an ambulance ride to the hospital). I went out for the first time last week and walked every downhill! But my goal was to get on my bike. If you are on a trail marked "expert," you're already a superstar in my book. As long we're out there trying a little bit more every time and most of all enjoying the ride -- that's the key! :D

Brandi
03-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Oh my gosh, there is nothing wrong with being careful. I get off and walk a lot too. I have broken bones and that thought is the only reminder I need. Besides by walking it every once in a while I am able to walk it another day because of it. My dh is and animal like your dh and does all the hard stuff as well. He never thinks I am a wimp for walking. But does say the more I practice the better I will get at doing the rocky stuff!

run it, ride it
05-04-2007, 05:00 PM
girl with the busted, protruding clavicle awaiting a surgery date speaking up here: if I hadn't tried the jump I wasn't ready for, my skeleton wouldn't be in pieces right now.

self preservation is nothing to be ashamed of. take your time and trust your instincts. don't try something you have no idea how to maneuvre. try a smaller version first with instruction.