PDA

View Full Version : BAAD Saddle Sores

annie
06-26-2004, 06:00 AM
This question is for a friend of mine who recently started riding again after a long lay-off. Even tho' she's trying to start out gradually, and increase mileage incrementally, she still ended up with a pretty severe saddle sore. Tender and oozing. She's got a couple different ointments to put on it, just OTC stuff, hasn't visited a doc. Does anyone have any surefire cure or at least an idea of what to do so she can continue riding and at the same time, let the sore heal? I've never had this problem......... so am unsure what to tell her. Thanks, ladies, for any help.

annie

Sparrow
06-26-2004, 06:11 AM
I'm curious about this one as well since having my first really bad one a couple of weeks ago. That bad boy was raw! My approach was to stay off the bike for a few days, wash it regularly with an anti-bacterial soap, and Bag Balm the heck out of it.

emily_in_nc
06-26-2004, 11:34 AM
This may sound crazy, but last year when I got the saddle sore from hell while trying out a Terry Damselfly saddle (never again!), I actually shaved around the area, put on triple antibiotic ointment, and then one of those soft flexible fabric band-aids so I could ride. I never felt the band-aid, and it really seemed to help the sore not bother as much and not get any worse, plus the antibiotic ointment should have kept bacteria at bay. Good luck to your friend; saddle sores are the pits!

Emily

annie
06-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. I am passing it along. I, too, hope it helps her. She was so happy to riding again and then to slowed down by the nasty saddle sore is so disappointing! :(

annie

Dogmama
06-27-2004, 04:37 AM
She needs to look at her shorts and her saddle. I suspect that one or both are rubbing her the wrong way...literally.