PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints - Again

mtbdarby
02-28-2007, 06:46 AM
OK, so I tried the run/walking again to ease into running. I'm at the end of the second week and am at 3min run/1min walk intervals. I ran yesterday and my shins are killing me. I have new running shoes (less than 50 miles on them), I run 3-4 times per week, I stretch before, walk 5 minutes before I start running, and have been doing specific stretches on the off day for my anterior muscles.

The pain is on the bone itself. It just hurts to touch it. From what I can gather on the various shin splint websites, this is an anterior shin split which is not that common. What I can't find is the cause. Body geometry, running technique, shoes, etc. Can anyone here help me or point me in the right direction? All I've gotten out of a pt is to ice and take ibuprofin. What I want to know if the cause so I can correct it and a cure:D TIA!

KnottedYet
02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm guessing it's from your "shin" muscles being used to deccelerate your tibia during your stride, maybe too much heel-strike.

(Wahine would know more on this one)

I'd try strengthening your butt muscles, hip rotators, and lower abs; and make sure you're using them as you run.

Also, try reading "ChiRunning", which has great hints on how to stop using your lower leg muscles for jobs they aren't intended to do. Since using that book to help my run (as little as I run) I haven't had shin splints.
http://www.amazon.com/ChiRunning-Danny-Dreyer/dp/074325144X/sr=8-1/qid=1172690234/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8429014-5930020?ie=UTF8&s=books

Are you using supportive insoles, like Superfeet or ShockDr.s?

mtbdarby
02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Knot, thanks. I have really been working on my butt, abs and ab/aductors so I don't think it's that. I don't have supportive insoles so maybe that would help. I'm betting it's technique or body geometry (or lack thereof:D ). I've always gotten shin splints, even back in high school playing basketball - I remember icing my shins a lot.

mimitabby
02-28-2007, 12:46 PM
so you're like, building bone, but just not in the right place?
Some of us would like to be building bone. I hope it gets to feeling better soon.
I used to have a horse that got splints too. you could actually see the bone growth.

chickwhorips
02-28-2007, 01:37 PM
you know my shins use to bother me too, now that i think of it.

once i got my custom orthotics they went away.
if you can't afford those, i suggest the superfeet (http://www.superfeet.com/) like knot said. i have the green set (http://www.superfeet.com/activity/running-walking/Green.aspx)that i use to use before my custom ones, i still love them.

KnottedYet
02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
and I really do recommend the ChiRunning book. I completely changed my stride from some things in that book, and my knee hardly ever hurts like it used to, and I don't get shin splints like I used to either.

Mine were never as bad as yours, but every little bit helps, eh?

Are you doing any exercises for your hip rotators? Especially external rotators? ("clamshell" exercise is the only one I can think of right now, or the tai chi "horse stance")

aicabsolut
02-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Anterior shin splints are really the only kind of shin splint. Usually caused by muscle imbalance and/or weak tibialis anterior muscles. There are stretching and strengthening exercises you can try.

Medial tibial pain is very common, and usually, incorrectly, called shin splints (got its name back when no one had a clue what was really happening to cause the pain). If you think this is actually what's going on, do a google search for sports med articles relating to "medial tibial stress syndrome".

anakiwa
03-01-2007, 03:06 AM
It's your lower legs you're talking about right?

Have you just increased your mileage? I get them pretty regularly when my mileage goes up (in fact I've had it pretty bad yesterday and today- I ran yesterday morning for the first time in a month or so- this usually happens to me in the spring when I transition from cross-country skiing to running).

I've found that stretching my anterior calves makes it more tolerable (I sit on my shins- with my butt on outstreched feet). It usually goes away for me once I'm running regularly again.

Don't forget stress fractures though- if the pain really seems to not go away you might want to get checked out.

mtbdarby
03-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Yeah, it's the lower half of my shin - right on the bone. I saw my chiro again last night and he's still convinced it's L5 causing the problem. From a long history of poor posture and very tight psoas muscles. Yes, I'm doing excercises specifically to stretch the psoas and the calf muscles. And dispite how much I ease into running with run walking, it happens when I go from the 2 min run/1 min walk to the 3 min run/1min walk.

I'm gonna schedule a time to have a podiatrist at a local shoe store (who sells the inserts you recommended CWR) analyize my stride. Then maybe we can eleviate some of the pain now, and as my chiro helps the root cause which should change my stride again, have it rechecked in a couple months. I'll keep you posted.

SJCzar
03-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Alright Dar, you better get this problem taken care of. I want to kick your butt fair and square in that Duathlon.

My daughter had alot of problems with her shins and feet when she was younger. Part of it, according to the doctor, was something like her bones were growing to fast for her muscles, if I'm remembering correctly. She did therapy for awhile and then ended up getting inserts for her shoes. They really made a big difference.

pepe6599
03-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I used to have shin splints when I played soccer in high school and my coach told me that it was b/c of my cleats, at the time I had just purchased them, so I had to get new one's that supported my foot better. Once I did so the pain went away. I know you said that your shoes had less then 50 miles on them but there's a possiblity that they don't have enough or too little support, control, or they just may not be the right shoe for you. You should go to your local running store and they may be able to help you solve your problem.

mtbdarby
03-06-2007, 07:00 AM
UPDATE: I had my stride analyized this weekend re my shin splint saga. I have a hypermobile first ray on both feet. Along with my short psoas muscles this makes me have a very had heal strike when I run with a very shortened stride, and I run on the outside of my foot to compensate for the lack of mobility in the first ray (joint where my big toe connects to my foot) and am unable to "roll" off the balls of my feet. But the bunion is painful and shouldn't be so I need to see a podiatrist to see what's going on there. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, guro chiro will continue to work on the psoas with adjustments and lots of excerses for me to help it along. Longer term will most likely be a custom orthodic that goes under the first ray to stabilize that joint. So, painful running days ahead. But I'm doing that duathlon if I have to walk both 5k's......

Dr. office just confirmed a 3/23 appt with a podiatrist so I'll let you know how that goes.

chickwhorips
03-06-2007, 07:48 AM
good luck dar. i'm here if you need support with any foot thing. i know how it is.