PDA

View Full Version : Another q about thyroids & exercise

crazycanuck
02-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Hi

Tattiefritter brought up a very good question about increased exercise & thyroids in the thread about mid ride blahs in the nutrition section.

Wahine, you provided some good info, thanks!

My question is, how does a non functioning thyriod affect one's exercise? I know we have a few folks who have hashimoto's & other thyroid disorders who might be able to answer this question.

Any ideas?

Thanks
C

maillotpois
02-28-2007, 07:07 AM
CC - I would think that as long as you're properly medicated, it wouldn't have any effect. I have Hashimoto's and haven't noticed any difference since I developed it (post-partum) other than it's more difficult to lose weight, which affects power to weight ratio - but that could also be age.

remember Floyd Landis also has Hashimoto's - he seems to ride pretty darn well! :)

ehirsch83
02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
cc- yes as long as one is properly medicated there should be no issues. I had a complete thyroidectimy a few years back and I now average 150-180 miles a week on the bike, along with balancing school full time and work part time. I don't seem to bonk to often either.

Jenn
02-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Oh my gosh, I cannot believe this post! I've had hypo throid issues for years. After having my daughter last Feb mine stopped working. I'm on 150mcg of synthroid and the endocrinologist I just self referred myself to thinks I have Hashimoto's. I have been a wreck trying to find out all I can about it. Even though my tsh labs are within range now, no matter how much I work out and watch what I eat I CANNOT lose weight, I'm getting so frustrated.
Any tips from any of you that have been diagnosed?
I go for a thyroid ultrasound in 2 weeks and extensive blood work then he'll let me know if that is what I really have.

makbike
02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's several years ago. I noticed a difference in my energy level within a few weeks of starting my medication. I gradually dropped all the weight I had packed on over the course of 2 years within the first year of starting my treatment.

I average about 500 mile each month on my bike and until recently taught full-time and moonlighted at a small animal clinic (I quit this job a couple of weeks ago :) ) after school and on weekends. I am tried but it is a normal fatigue not the debilitating fatigue I suffered when my thyroid took a hike. I was and continue to be amazed at how that little pill I take each morning has changed my life for the better.

The key is to make sure you take your medication at the same time each day on an empty stomach. I typically take my pill when I first get up, around 5:30and I do not eat breakfast until around 7:30 so that the medication has time to be absorbed in my GI tract. Also, it is important to avoid calcium/dairy products for two hours before or after you take your medication.

Good luck with your tests.

maillotpois
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Ditto what makbike said. Be diligent with your meds, and you will be fine. I take mine at night before bed, a couple of hours after eating anything, because calcium interferes with the medication and I cannot possibly wait long enough after waking up for my morning latte to take it in the morning. But as long as you're on a regular schedule and appropriate dose, you should be fine.

I'm also on 150 mcg - the dosage is basically weight related. I find when my weight drops down below a certain point, then it is easier to lolse weight and I have more energy. I can really tell a difference when I am significantly about my "usual" weight, in terms of how much energy I have.

Good luck with the ultrasound. I also had some needle biopsies when I was first diagnosed to make sure nothing else was going on. Sounds like your is also postpartum as mine was. Auto immune issues often pop up after childbirth (and nursing) because your immune system is on overload and can go bonkers.

tattiefritter
03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I don't have thyroid issues as yet but its prevalent in my immediate maternal family i.e my mum, my gran, both my maternal aunts, my gran's sister, her daughter.....I think its probably in the post!

I had my thyroid levels checked about two years ago as part of some other blood tests I was having at the time (had to insist as they said I was too young but family history persuaded them) so I at least have a benchmark of where things are/were at.

Its good to know people are still continuing with good exercise levels with medication.