PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Salivary Gland

Veronica
02-27-2007, 06:36 PM
It's blocked again! It hasn't achieved chipmunk proportions yet, but soon.

I haven't been able to figure out what causes it, but I am getting better at treating it. Last year it was the end of March that it swelled up, the year before was April.

V.

LBTC
02-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Wow. that's odd. what do the doc's say causes it?

H&B
~T~

Veronica
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I've only been to the doc when it got infected. That was back in 2002. He said it's just that I have small ducts and it's easy for a stone to lodge. I think it's seasonal somehow though.

So I treat it by staying really hydrated, gentle massage of the area and when it really begins to hurt, warm compresses. Exercise seems to help it too. Last year I was able to get rid of it in a day or two.

V.

Xrayted
02-27-2007, 07:14 PM
V - we do something called a Sialogram in xray. The doc goes in, finds the duct and squirts some xray dye in there. He takes a look under fluoro (dynamic xray) and sees if there is a stone and if there is a stricture or other reason why it won't clear. Many times the stone gets dislodged and freed just from shooting in the dye. It is a way to find out why you are having this reoccur and it is painless. (but you do drool during it :o) Just a thought... :)

Veronica
02-27-2007, 07:24 PM
I hate going to the doctor. I'd rather just whine about it. :) Since I've been able to get it to clear after a day or two, I hate wasting the doc's time and insurance money.

Although I should try to remember to bring it up when I go for my next yearly exam.

Just don't tell me it could be a symptom of some other nasty disease, okay. I'm perfectly content to have small ducts. It's about the only thing I have that can be labeled small. Everything else is medium or large!

V.

Dianyla
02-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Did you try a topical application of chocolate? :p