PDA

View Full Version : Ponytail Blues

JenLeath
02-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Help. I have soooo much breakage (hair), maybe rippage :eek: is the correct term. I am pretty sure it is from ponytails and the swim cap (silicon). I am almost ready to just chop it all off. It is to my shoulders, layered, have to, it's straight and lifeless without. Any tips you may have as to keeping it off my neck and out of my face without ripping it out.

Jen

Veronica
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I use a cloth cap. It's not as aerodynamic. But you could use one for workouts only and then use the silicon only for races.

V.

Trekhawk
02-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Help. I have soooo much breakage (hair), maybe rippage :eek: is the correct term. I am pretty sure it is from ponytails and the swim cap (silicon). I am almost ready to just chop it all off. It is to my shoulders, layered, have to, it's straight and lifeless without. Any tips you may have as to keeping it off my neck and out of my face without ripping it out.

Jen

Do you put talc in your cap??
I find this helps to get it on and off without grabbing my hair.:)

JenLeath
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
I use a cloth cap. It's not as aerodynamic. But you could use one for workouts only and then use the silicon only for races.

V.

I saw those online, I wondered if they would stay on. Thanks

Jen

JenLeath
02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Do you put talc in your cap??
I find this helps to get it on and off without grabbing my hair.:)

No, I've never heard of that, I will try it out.

Thanks,

Jen

Trekhawk
02-26-2007, 12:34 PM
No, I've never heard of that, I will try it out.

Thanks,

Jen

Just put a little in your cap, shake it around until the inside is coated and then tip the excess out. :)

ChickWithBrains
06-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Wet hair. Put in conditioner. Put on swim cap. Not only does it reduce chlorine damage it also reduces wear and tear from the cap itself. Make sure you're being kind with how you put your hair up, too: a French braid is much kinder than a ponytal with tight elastic high up on your head.

Wahine
06-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Plus 1 what Chick said. I wet my hair, use a spray style leave in conditioner and put on cap. Works great on my hair and it's very fine. I still use a pony tail but I tie it loosely and double it under.

Dianyla
06-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Seconding the recommendation to pre-wet and coat your hair with something (conditioner, or I prefer an oil like jojoba, etc) before you get it wet in chlorine water. A silicone cap is better than a latex one for being gentle on hair.

Use a specially designed swimmer's shampoo and conditioner to help chelate the poolwater minerals from your hair after swimming. Regular products do not remove the mineral salts that chemically bond to your hair. You don't have to use swimmer products with every wash, especially if you pre-wet the hair with fresh water. Every time you wash/condition your hair, let the conditioner soak for a little while. I like to glop on tons of conditioner, and then shave my legs while it's soaking in, then wash it out.

Also, you might check and see how your stylist is cutting the layers in. If they are razor cut, these are typically done at an acute angle, instead of perpendicular to the strand, like scissor cut ends would be. This sharp angle cut tends to leave behind a hair shaft tip that easily frays and splits. I swear that some hairstylists do this to ensure that you have to keep going in every 6 months to freshen up the cut ends. :rolleyes:

Lastly, make sure that your ponytail elastics are not the kind that have metal joints. The glued elastics are not as bad as metal, but can still catch and rip hair. The gentlest are a perfectly seamless hair hosiery style elastic, like these ones made by Scunci (http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=4&pid=9999999999).

HappyAnika
06-18-2007, 03:38 PM
At the recommendation of Veronica, I tried the cloth cap and I really like it. Much easier to get on and off, and much kinder on the hair. I still use a latex one as a backup (in case I leave the other at home), and even with talc I still have trouble with it. I'll give the conditioner idea a try to reduce the chlorine damage. Thanks ladies.

Flybye
06-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I swear by professional hair products. They may be more expensive but they are worth it. I like Redken's Shampoo and Conditioner and Schwartzkopf's leave in conditioner. These for every day use. I have a ton of hair. :eek: