PDA

View Full Version : Long and Less Long Runs: 2-26 to 3-4

KSH
02-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, I haven't gotten my 3 mile run in today, but I figured I would start the thread.

:D

alpinerabbit
02-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Heck KSH, I have been badder than thou :D

my last run was Tuesday, I slacked Thursday, then Sunday afternoon sleet was coming horizontally so we rather stayed inside to play scrabble. I won. hehehe.

I did swim 1k each Thursday and Saturday, but I still felt guilty.

Got 40 min in today at lunch with intervals.

I can run one more time this week, then Sunday is my XC adventure so rest is indicated.

:mad: my adventure mate is insisting on doing the whole track the day before. No way I am killing myself like that. I just hoped she would listen

JenLeath
02-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Heck KSH, I have been badder than thou :D

my last run was Tuesday, I slacked Thursday, then Sunday afternoon sleet was coming horizontally so we rather stayed inside to play scrabble. I won. hehehe.

I did swim 1k each Thursday and Saturday, but I still felt guilty.

Got 40 min in today at lunch with intervals.

I can run one more time this week, then Sunday is my XC adventure so rest is indicated.

:mad: my adventure mate is insisting on doing the whole track the day before. No way I am killing myself like that. I just hoped she would listen

As long as you have been running pretty frequently until this week, one sporadic week shouldn't derail you. Especially if you have a race next weekend, a week of active recovery will actually do you better than wiping yourself out the day before. You might need to do a bit of web surfing, but there are several articles out there that talk about the benefits of backing off you training a week or two before a race. It's better to go into a race 10% undertrained than even 1% overtrained. That's when you find people hitting their "brick walls" Good luck on Sunday.

Jen

KSH
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
1.75 miles, 18 minutes.

I get off work and rush down to the gym to change clothes so I can hit a near by track.

UH-OH, NO SOCKS!

So, either I drive all the way home and have to run around 7:30 PM, or I run without socks.

No biggie. I will run without socks. What's a couple of small blisters... right?

So, I'm running and having a solid run. No cramps and I'm not feeling *sick*.

Then my arches start to HURT. There are those blisters. It gets worse and worse. I tried to finish out .25 of a mile so I could reach 2 miles, but it wasn't happening.

I rushed back to my car to try to put SOMETHING on my feet. All I could find was deodarent. I put that on one of my blisters. Not working. It kills me to put my shoes back on.

So, I'm 1.25 miles DOWN for the week. I'm so pissed off. And I can barely walk, because I have huge blisters on both of my arches.

Veronica
02-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Owwww!!!!

Well, I'm hoping my legs will let me go out tomorrow morning.

Yesterday was about what I expected. Quads were a bit sore. Today the fronts of my shins were killing me! How can there be a muscle there? It's so bony!

V.

Wahine
02-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Say hello to your Tibialis anterior V.

It's the muscle that controls the speed at which your forefoot drops after your heel has contacted the ground. And yup, it hurts like an SOB if you've been away from running for awhile. It also hurts more if you're landing with your foot too far out in front of your body, or hitting too heavily at the heel. So you might want to think about those things the next time you go out for a run.

KSH
02-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Owwww!!!!

Well, I'm hoping my legs will let me go out tomorrow morning.

Yesterday was about what I expected. Quads were a bit sore. Today the fronts of my shins were killing me! How can there be a muscle there? It's so bony!

V.

Oh, I found muscles I didn't even know about... to hurt in my lower legs. It's a constant struggle to keep the pain manageable so I can keep running.

Rest is good. Don't push it too much. It's all about injury prevention.

Veronica
02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Say hello to your Tibialis anterior V.

I knew you would know what it was. :D Thanks for the advice. It will give me something to think about next time.

V.

Grog
02-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Monday is always off.

Tuesday (tomorrow, as of now) is a short run at an easy pace at 7am. Well, I was told by my running partner that tomorrow we're running at 6:45 because we're joined by... a Canadian Supreme Court Justice who's currently visiting at the college where we live!! It's supposed to be at the "leisurely pace of 10min/mile". I'm so sore from the surprise 16k of Sunday, I hope I can keep up!! He's more than twice my age, so I better hold in there!!

Will report.

alpinerabbit
02-27-2007, 03:14 AM
How can there be a muscle there? It's so bony!

ermm... my t.a. has grown to gigantic proportions since I started cycling.
It's bigger than boyfriend's! That being said, so are my calves. I think it is

a) genetic (dad has monster calves) and
b) from a lot of pulling on the pedal stroke.

rocknrollgirl
02-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Howdy...

Hill workout today. 8 repeats on the hill, total run 3 miles. Then we came in, changed and went out and did a fast paced bike workout, hill repeats and chasing my rabbit...he is a big rabbit, but he is fun to chase! Thanks Honey!

feelin' better after my sickness....

btchance
02-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Did a tempo run this afternoon (well, my HR needed to average about 5bpm higher, but we'll still call it a tempo run ;) ), the tempo run lasting 30min, then add in my warm-up and cool-down; total was 4.3miles. Overall a good workout.

yellow
02-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I've been doing a really good job pretending that I don't have a cold. Unfortunately, I think it's causing the cold to stick around. It's making me a little more fatigued than normal but at least I don't feel like a total lump of caca this week like I did last week. I still managed 17.5 miles last week so I guess it's not that bad. I just wish my nose would quit running and running and running...

We had a big snow dump today (it snowed about 2 inches an hour for about 3 hours) and I didn't get out of work early enough to hit the trail and I wasn't about to run on slushy icky pavement, so I went to the gym with DH and ran 4.5 on the dreadmill. I had 2 fans pointed at me most of the time. Gawd it's hot in there. And I didn't even really have any good scenery today! :rolleyes:

trickytiger
02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Ohhhhh, yeah. Today I got in a whopper 2 mile! This is a .25 mile increase on my first run in a month that I accomplished last Saturday (I have been gone on work for the past month, no time or safe place to run :mad: ).

And I feel it! Good grief! Mostly in the connection points in my hip flexors, though. I have the most burly T.A.s, though, from being a lifetime runner, that shins are never an issue for me. (Yes, my shins have definition!). However frustrating for me to struggle through 2 when 12 used to be the norm, at least my head feels the same- I love just being out there, and I know it'll get better. Now the weather just needs to do the same. :)

Wahine
02-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Bllllaaaaaahhh!!

I'm still fighting some stupid virus. I thought I'd get a run in today. I felt pretty good in the AM. But by noon I was wiped out again.

I'm suffering from adreneline withdrawl and it's not pretty girls!!

Veronica
02-27-2007, 07:02 PM
I had hoped for a run today. But before work, I had to get some work done.

On my commute home I got absolutely drenched - in only two miles. It was a cold rain too! At one point I thought maybe it was hail. Anyway, I decided cinnamon toast and hot chocolate were necessary.

V.

Grog
02-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Good to read that so many of us are shakin' it out there :)

The run with the Supreme Court Justice turned out great. It was chilly this morning but we (about 6 of us, including him) ran down a nice forest trail in the very early morning and then along the beach with this beautiful pink hue on the mountains. Then up the hill we went! Geez, at 66, I hope I'm running up hills like him. We didn't run fast and we all made sure we were running behind him, but it was a great moment.

rocknrollgirl
02-28-2007, 01:30 AM
I feel your pain....My poor DH felt like he was trapped in the house with a pissy tiger last week. Grrrrr.....

All I can say it wait it out....my note to self was...next time I am recovering, when I think I am better, wait one more day.

I tried to jump back to soon.

tattiefritter
02-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Got 3.5 miles done yesterday. Ankle didn't really bother me at all during the run and I forgot about it completely. Knowing my propensity for doing too much too soon I ran the loop in the reverse direction so it would be much more difficult to extend the distance if I got tempted, however the strong wind and the rain stinging my face did remove motivation somewhat :D Still fantastic to be out.

I have to keep telling myself that 3.5 miles is plenty for someone coming back from an ankle sprain. Will do another 3.5 miles tomorrow then I'll be off to London for a long weekend and may think about doing 4 miles sometime next week.

rocknrollgirl
03-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Howdy girls...three for us tonight, recovery run,nice and easy.

Grog
03-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Somehow I've found that I like to go for a run and then a swim. I think it has to do with avoiding the guilt of taking more than one shower a day. Not a very useful brick, but if that's what it takes to get me in the pool.... well, let's do it.

So I caught up with a coworker who's just starting to run again after many years on the sidelines. She's in pretty good shape but she runs much slowlier than I do. It ended up being slowlier than with that 66yo judge this week, but was fun nonetheless, and I tricked her into doing a few 10-second sprints, which she hated, but that spiced things up a wee bit. Ran back home, picked up the swim gear and rode my bike to the pool (about 750 meters away!! how lazy is that). Practiced my breathing-on-both-sides-every-third-stroke thing... swallowed lots of water. Came back home to eat and work... feeling dizzy from all the pool water.

I really love running, after all. Especially compared to swimming.

yellow
03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
blahblahblahblahblah! :mad: Scooted out of work early enough to take the yellow dog running on the trail, but to my surprise there hasn't been too much traffic on it the last few days, which means that I was all over the place, postholing in the snow drifts and generally feeling like I was running uphill on sand (we've gotten probably about 10" this week up there). Top that off with nasty bad lungs and I can honestly say that was one of the worst runs I've had since I started running again. I should have worn my YakTrax but didn't (mostly because they make my right foot fall asleep). At least I stayed upright the whole time. :p

It was purty, though, and the dog had a great time. A few little flurries and some pretty dramatic clouds and I had it all to myself. So I really shouldn't complain.

Wahine
03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
+1 on the blahs.

I tried to run at lunch. Kept it to the dreadmill so I could bail if things weren't going well and they didn't. I planned 1:15 and I did 0:33. Legs were heavy and I can still feel congestion in my chest. Worst of all was that I got dizzy. Not normal treadmill dizzy, more like I'm going to fall over dizzy. So I quit at 3.3 miles and called it a day.

I'll be heading off to bed soon.

KSH
03-01-2007, 07:07 PM
3 miles at a 10:20 minute mile. I have a runny nose and a slight cough, but I forged ahead.

Started running treadmill one- feeling great! Then it turns off: User Not Detected.

I go to treadmill two- feeling great and working on some speed work, it turns off: User Not Detected.

I go to treadmill three to run .15 more to finish my mileage... I end up going a little further to get a solid 3 miles in.

Frustrating treadmills!

On a positive note: I was really feeling great running today! No cramps! My blisters hurt some but I could deal with it.

tattiefritter
03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Got another 3.5 miles done yesterday. Felt my left ankle was a little stiffer than the right when setting off but 10 minutes into the run I forgot about it completely so maybe I was just focussing on it a bit. Did the loop in reverse again but the wind was much stronger than Tuesday (luckly no rain though) so the first half of the run felt like someone was pushing against me as I ran directly into the wind. My "inner" calf muscles were a little tight afterwards but nowhere near as bad as Tuesday so hopefully they are just getting used to running in the new show type. Kept it a nice even pace but was averaging 8:45 mm apparently which seems a little fast for me.

I'm off work all next week so will try to get a run in at least once

btchance
03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I did an unplanned, very easy, 3.5mi today (part walking). Today was supossed to be my swim day but I woke up with a nice little outer ear infection, so no pool for a few days and plenty of antibiotic ear drops.

alpinerabbit
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I went for an easy run on Wednesday, 45 minutes, but it was sooo slow. I can't believe I did 10 km/h the day of that "brick" 3-4 weeks ago. How could that have been possible?

emily_in_nc
03-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Ran on the treadmill one day during the week - 3.25 miles + .5 miles walking (before/after run).

Ran on the trails today - don't know exact mileage, but I'd estimate 3 miles based on time. The hills outdoors are MUCH harder than riding flat on the treadmill, but by my fourth lap, I felt much better. Had to stop and walk for 15 seconds or so a few times early on, but on the last lap I didn't stop at all. Had to take advantage of this nice day (62 degrees when I ran); it was great to be outdoors in the Carolina blue skies and sunshine!

Emily

yellow
03-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Had to take advantage of this nice day (62 degrees when I ran); it was great to be outdoors in the Carolina blue skies and sunshine!
Sounds like a great day. I always feel so fortunate and happy when I can be outside enjoying the great big world on a beautiful day.

It was gorgeous here too, though quite a bit colder (34F when I ran this afternoon). We had a couple of storms this week and quite a bit of snow, so my run on the trail turned into a run-walk for 6.4 miles (mostly goofy running at a very slow pace :p ). Where the snow was more than about 10" deep I had to just walk, even though I was trying to stay in someone else's postholes! In a couple of places is was well over my knees. But it was gorgeous and I'm still really not recovered from my cold, so doing a run-walk was probably a good thing. I only saw smiling people and dogs and the sky was so very blue and the mountains so very white.

Shiraz
03-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Everyone,
I finally got a decent run in yesterday. After having the flu and respiratory crud for 1-1/2weeks I ran slow and covered 8 miles. It was 20 degrees when we started and warmed up to a wonderful 30!! It was so nice to run with my friends. I can't believe how much difference it makes to have company. We tell jokes, try to sing songs, encourage each other, anything to pass the miles. I am still signed up to run the SLC 1/2 but concerned that I am not getting the miles each week that I should:eek: The run is April 20th...7 weeks!

Yellow, lets meet while I am in SLC in April. I am bringing a friend and she just bought a new road bike. Maybe we should try to ride or do a trail run on Sunday??

btchance
03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
So I got in an easy (relatively) brick today. I did 20miles on the bike then 2.75miles running. My average HR through it was all zone 1 - I had wanted to push it harder on the bike but my legs wouldn't let me; not too surprising since this was my last workout before my rest week - aahh, that sounds great right now.

KSH
03-04-2007, 02:07 PM
After being a sick for 5 days, I went out and rocked it today!

1 mile run - 9:20
10 mile bike
1 mile run- 10:00
10 mile bike
1 mile run- 10:20

And my overall average on the bike was 18.5! That is seriously hauling for me!

emily_in_nc
03-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Wow KSH, great job! You really did rock it today!

DH and I hiked 9.6 miles in a state park today. Lovely day, though much colder than yesterday (40s instead of 60s), windy, but the same Carolina blue skies!

Emily

Wahine
03-05-2007, 08:11 AM
So I finally got around to posting about my run yesterday. It wasn't very good. I had 6 miles planned with a test mile on the track that I did after about 15 min of warming up. It was the first real run in about 10 days. (I'm not counting Thursday when I had to stop at 30 min because things weren't going well).

Running is a lot harder when you haven't been at it consistently.

My test set came out to a 7:26 min/mi at a HR about 10 beats below my lactate threshold. That's 12 sec per mile slower than last month. Not surprising seeing as I had that virus and haven't run much in a few days.

Well, hopefully this'll change next month.:D