PDA

View Full Version : does anyone here horseback ride?

horserider
02-25-2007, 07:06 PM
I horseback ride and have for about a year and a half. i ride english style. does anyone here horseback ride?

horserider

spokewench
02-26-2007, 03:04 PM
A lot of women on TE either rode or still ride horses. You will see several of their avatars have horses in them.

I used to ride, no longer cause of a broken back years ago.

chickwhorips
02-26-2007, 03:37 PM
i do when i can find a horse.

i grew up riding western, but took lessons when i was a pre-teen riding english. i miss the good ol' days.

horserider
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
very intresting. i love riding horses it is so much fun.

horserider

maillotpois
02-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I grew up on a ranch and rode all the time from the time I was 4 through high school. I rode on and off for a few years about 10 years ago, but since moving to N. CA, haven't really had the time or money to do it. This fall, I made a new friend who has 2 horses and needs them worked, so now my daughter and I are riding one of the horses on my non-bike day of the weekend.

I generally ride English.

Cycling has sure gotten my legs in good shape for riding!

Haudlady
02-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Hello Horserider,

Yup - I'm a 'horse girl.' I think you have the right idea - it seems like many of the skills used for horseback riding (balance, in particular) translate nicely into cycling... and vice versa. I also use some of the equipment/clothing for both sports - although I won't wear my favorite jerseys on my horses because of the, um, dirt. :rolleyes: (One of my horses is particularly fond of snorting.)

I think the nutrition essentials are similar, too... stay hydrated!

My 'boys' are shown in my Avatar - Frank, the bay, is an American Saddlebred (7 years old)... Barak, the gray, is an Arabian (4 years old). I used to show saddleseat, but now I mostly do trail riding (english). Showing is expensive, and I seem to have lost my competitive streak... I just want to have fun!

I know you are primarily a horse rider, but we would welcome you to the 'dark side' of cycling! Give it a try. :D

aicabsolut
02-27-2007, 02:41 PM
I've been riding (hunter/jumpers) for over 20 years. I don't do it a lot anymore, because of other commitments and lack of funds, but I'll occasionally help out some trainer friends of mine and their customers. I will get back into it again someday soon i hope.

horsemom
02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
As you can see from my screen name, I have horses. I do endurance riding - 50 and 100 mile cross country races. You can read about it here : AERC.org
It is a cool sport, and I have logged 7000 miles of competition. You can see my record at the website under the tab, Rider History. Enter my name, Laura Hayes, and it will pop up.

I have four horses, all Arabians; 17 year old Equal Terms, who has almost 2000 miles of competition, 11 year old Bey Allure, who has a few hundred, 7 year old Tifaan who is just starting this year, and four year old Andre, the only boy, who is not broke yet. We also have a 32 year old hackney pony.

I love my mountain bike, but my horses are my life.:)

Laura

horserider
03-04-2007, 07:59 AM
i ride dressage at into level. I also half-lease a horse which is pretty much like owning for me. i also have a confession- when i was younger i never learned to ride a bike, i never got past traning wheels, the concept of going fast on a two-wheel bike scared me.

ihl

Starfish
03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Used to. Reining, trail, english/western performance, combined training, dressage, and plain old fun in the mountains. Been a long time since I have ridden lots. Been about 4 years since a short stint on a 1/2 lease in a hunter/jumper barn.

Bought my first bike when I had to give up my last horse.

equus123
03-06-2007, 10:27 AM
i rode for 10 yrs from when i was 7. i did equitation and hunter classes in shows but i mostly just had lessons every weekend and went to a show every now and then.

you all know what its like when you ask for a horse your entire life for birthdays, christmas, easter, any holiday - you name it. so my 16th birthday rolls around and guess what, mom says "we'll get you a horse". i almost died and/or pissed in my pants because the one thing i had ever wanted was finally going to come true - which i never though would happen. so we end up leasing the best, sweetest horse in the world. 4 months into the lease, i'm involved in a car accident (both cars totalled, concussion, sprained neck and back) and the doctor basically says you're not allowed to ride anymore. i could have killed him.

so i've been "horseless" since the summer of 98. i did however fulfill my equine craving by working at barns for the first 4 yrs of my employment life (mainly summers during college).

horses just go right to my heart. i'm such a sucker for them :D

many memories.......

horserider
03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
i did not relazie how many of you used to or still ride horses

horserider

equus123
03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
i know, right?! kinda funny :)

horserider
03-09-2007, 03:13 PM
there a lot of the same terms used in cycling that are also used in horseback riding.

rider- horseback or bike rider

saddle- seat on a bike or a piece of horse equipment

"I'm going to ride"- could be a horseback or bike ride

horserider

ehirsch83
03-19-2007, 04:43 AM
I also ride:-) Can't afford to do it how I used to though, so I am a working student. I help with the beginner lessons on the weekend and then ride during the week. I am moving to Albuquerque in May- if anyone knows of any h/j barns there that are good please let me know!!(who might also be in the need of someone to help with beginner lessons)

I grew up doing the hunters and eq, did some jumpers for fun.

horserider
03-19-2007, 06:51 PM
i now ride both english and western

horserider

Pascale
03-25-2007, 03:50 PM
I own two Paso Finos here in MN and used to show and do competitive endurance...although lately I haven't had much time to ride. Now it's really just trail riding when I have some time (hard to decide whether to ride the horse or the bike sometimes!)

athansor
03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I used to do a lot of riding (started Western, even had a stint as a pro-bullrider, then went to hunter-jumpers, worked as a polo player, and most recently was getting very involved in dressage). We just moved this last year, though, and couldn't find a horse property, and are now horseless. Between that and having a little one now, I haven't been riding in a while. On the plus side, more time for cycling, running and other activities...but I do look forward to riding again.