PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

Wahine
02-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Warning - serious whining and tri geek training talk involved

I was doing really well with my program this month. I didn't miss any workouts. Not true, I missed one weight session but that's a low priority and OK to miss when life gets in the way. But I was really pumped about getting everything done last weekend when mentally I was getting a little tired. Thanks again to everyone for their motivating comments and amusing posts.

This week was my peak week. Big volume, bigger than I've ever done. But the intensities were mostly low with exception of my hill run on Tues. Thursday I woke up very tired and it was the second day that my resting HR was a little high, so I took the day off. Bounced back yesterday with a great hill ride (keeping HR in Z1 to Z3), about 20 miles in 1:20. My Resting HR was back down yesterday AM, but not quite as much as I expected.

This morning my resting HR was thru the roof!! Frick. I don't feel sick but my sinuses feel a little full and I do have a slight cough. I did stay out late last night and have a few with the neighbors. It doesn't really matter if it 's self induced or related to a virus, I'm out for the day. No run. One consolation is that the weather is terrible today, so at least I don't have to torture myself on the treadmill.

Thanks for listening to me whine. Here I thought I was going to have this stellar break through week and it kinda crumbled. I know that in the long run it won't make much difference but I'm just a little disappointed.

Velobambina
02-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself. Part of a good training regimen is knowing when you need to rest. Focus on the long-term goal. If you kept going when you didn't feel well, you might end up very sick or injured, which would sideline you for much longer than a day.

Sounds like you had a good week, regardless.

LBTC
02-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Ms. Wahine, you are doing great! Seems to me that you've mentioned in more than one post how important it is to listen to what the body is telling us. Yours has a little something to say today, that's all.

What is your view of exercise when you're fighting a virus, assuming that's what it is? Do you feel that cardio is a bad idea, but weights, as long as they are not too intense and don't raise your HR much, they are okay? Just curious if today you might be able to do a bit of weights to balance out your week a bit. Definitely don't do it if you're not up to it, of course!

Your trainig is going very well and you're an inspiration! Be proud of yourself and give yourself loads of praise for your great day in there!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

rocknrollgirl
02-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Oh Yoda....I am sorry...I had a terrible week due to that nasty buggie....

Please rest and take care of yourself. I tried to jump back in too soon, shocking I know, and was down for the count for three more days....

Rest you must...hmmmm......

Veronica
02-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Yep, you need to listen to your body. It's okay to take it easy when you need to. :)

V.

Running Mommy
02-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Yep- What V and the others said... I know, I'm the same way! When I look at my schedule for the week I put certain expectations on how I'm going to perform. When I don't do as well as planned I spend the next few days mentally spanking myself. When in reality it probably wasn't as bad as you made it out to be!! Heck, I guarantee you trained harder in the last week than most folks do in a month!!
Now as for the resting HR, that sounds like an overtraining issue. And if your feeling like something is coming on then you really need to dial it back. You DO NOT want chronic fatigue to set in!!
Let me ask you, how are you sleeping? When my IM load gets really heavy (like it is now) I suffer from insomnia big time!! That is my clue that my body is at it's breaking point.
Well, rest up and come back strong! Don't try to push through it. BELIEVE ME!!! It's SOOO not worth it!!

Wahine
02-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks gals. I hear you all. I agree. I'm just a little disappointed that I couldn't pull the week off like a planned. I'm listening to my body, I'm just not happy with what it has to say.

The overtraining thing is exactly why I keep track of my resting HR. It gives me the early warning signs and I can pull back before I over do it. I learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago. It's also the reason why I do my own programs now. I found that most of my coaches tended to give me too much and my personality is such that if it's on paper I better get it done. The coaches thought that when I said I was tired it was just the typical whining. What I've since learned is that I won't register "tired" until I'm really, really tired. By then it's too late.

So I'm hanging out. Doing paperwork and hoping that I can go cross country ski in all the new snow tomorrow!

LBTC - my take on illness is that if it's enough to raise your resting HR than you shouldn't do anything that would raise it much further. So if you can do weights in a low key fashion that'll work. I actually have plenty of paper work to catch up on so I'm just bailing on everything today.

Pika
02-24-2007, 06:49 PM
I haven't thanked you yet for introducing me to TE- jeepers I have so many other ways to waste time before paper work and now this:)
Good for you for listening to your body today- that can be soo hard- but worth it in the end- just today I was in visiting a running coach and friend and she decided to ride in somewhat yucky weather on sunday even though she failed the test she tells her own students ( if the cold is in your chest or you have a fever don't do it). Today she is still paying the price so she will likely be out longer than if she had missed that first outdoor ride. Likely if it hadn't been the first outdoor ride she would not have chanced it- I can understand the dilemna- we have been stuck inside for soooo long now it was too tempting- but as I said earlier, she's going to be out so much longer now:(
Way to go for listening to your own body and advice- sometimes we think the advice is only for "others" even though we are one of them. ( does that even make sense?) well you know what I mean I hope.
Take Care and I hope you are back at it quick as a wink
or as quick as you learned how to say "Pijou" in mandarin:D
T

Wahine
02-24-2007, 08:58 PM
I was wondering...

Nice to "see" you. I just checked your profile after reading the post in Aches and Pains to see what your profession was. No info there. Then I found this...

It's all making sooooo much more sense.

I hear ya on the procrastination factor. I could be doing all sorts of things. But I'm here on TE.:D

For example, I could be editing photos and burning CDs.

What the hill is this about a running coach?

Do you recognize the avatar? You should. And there's another photo you're familiar with on my profile.

I can't believe I ran into you, so to speak. Now we have even more reasons to cruise around TE.