PDA

View Full Version : Aches and Pains?

Crankin
02-24-2007, 04:11 AM
It seems as if my body is rebelling anytime I attempt another sport. It is getting frustrating to hear about everyone else training for tris, running, x country skiing long distances.
Tuesday I went x country skiing with Deb, who was very patient with me going so slowly. While I am getting over bronchitis, that was not the issue. After about 20 minutes, I started feeling an ache in my left groin area. I have had this before; the area is weak, but doesn't hurt at all when cycling. I don't know how far we skied (maybe 5-6 miles), but by the time I was driving home, it was hurting like h***. I started doing stretches, a few times a day. It's in a really awkward place to ice (right where the leg attaches to the body), so I skipped that. It's down to a dull ache now, but I had to pass on a group ski thing with my cycling buddies today, because I know it's not better.OK, yesterday I went snow shoeing, about 4.5 miles, slightly rolling. My calves started rebelling and I had to slow way down. I didn't really care, since I was alone and it was beautiful out. Now, my right knee hurts. Sort of like when I tried running. I live in a 4 story house, and every time I go up stairs, ouch!
It is frustrating and is making me feel old. I have been stretching regularly this winter as part of a winter training program. I rode outside through the beginning of January, butI would like to be able to enjoy winter outdoor activities without having to worry about this stuff. The cycling season will be starting for us in a couple of weeks and I have 2 rides to lead at the end of March. Help!

crazycanuck
02-24-2007, 04:23 AM
Hey Robyn,

I'm popping in just to say you're not old :)

Also, no matter how frustrating the aches and pains are, you're still out there doing it. I know i'm not much help in providing a solution but I thought i might provide a bit of support...:)

Do some xc skiing for me too k...

C

Mr. Bloom
02-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Have you considered seeing a chiropractor - one specialized in sports injuries?

SouthernBelle
02-24-2007, 04:55 AM
Robin, Know exactly how you feel. When I last rode more than a short hop, my left knee hurt. Nothing was different in my setup. I think it was attributable to lack of riding this time of year, plus my bad habit of sitting with my left leg underneath me. Plus I think we are to the age where we are not a bendable as we used to be, and need to account for that. Stretching, etc. Course I was never very flexible as a lot of people are.

HillSlugger
02-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Each new sport uses slightly different groups of muscles. New sport=new aches. If you know this going is you should be able to work up slowly to avoid pain and injury. Don't overdo it to start.

Crankin
02-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Mr. Silver,

I went to a chiropractor a couple of years ago when I was having back issues. All he did was take my $, so I stopped. The lbs owner solved the problem this year when he quickly realized I had a leg length discrepancy. Putting a shim under my cleat solved that problem, after years of pain.
I know that every sport uses different muscles and I just don't do the other things enough to get the muscle memory. I have always been this way, but it's getting worse as I age. Some days I see all the aches and pains as my "warrior's badge" but other days it really annoys me.
My solution for the moment is to up the stretching, ice the knee, and wear my knee support for a couple of days. I really want to go skiing tomorrow, since it will be nice out, but if I do, I will go very slowly. One of my colleagues used to be a PT, so I will discuss with her on Monday. I'm more of a believer in PT than chiro. and my son had a very successful outcome with a PT after some problems when he was racing.
I'm just jealous of everyone who seem to have no ill effects from all of this activity!

spokewench
02-24-2007, 06:22 AM
It seems as if my body is rebelling anytime I attempt another sport. It is getting frustrating to hear about everyone else training for tris, running, x country skiing long distances.
Tuesday I went x country skiing with Deb, who was very patient with me going so slowly. While I am getting over bronchitis, that was not the issue. After about 20 minutes, I started feeling an ache in my left groin area. I have had this before; the area is weak, but doesn't hurt at all when cycling. I don't know how far we skied (maybe 5-6 miles), but by the time I was driving home, it was hurting like h***. I started doing stretches, a few times a day. It's in a really awkward place to ice (right where the leg attaches to the body), so I skipped that. It's down to a dull ache now, but I had to pass on a group ski thing with my cycling buddies today, because I know it's not better.OK, yesterday I went snow shoeing, about 4.5 miles, slightly rolling. My calves started rebelling and I had to slow way down. I didn't really care, since I was alone and it was beautiful out. Now, my right knee hurts. Sort of like when I tried running. I live in a 4 story house, and every time I go up stairs, ouch!
It is frustrating and is making me feel old. I have been stretching regularly this winter as part of a winter training program. I rode outside through the beginning of January, butI would like to be able to enjoy winter outdoor activities without having to worry about this stuff. The cycling season will be starting for us in a couple of weeks and I have 2 rides to lead at the end of March. Help!

I know what you mean - I have decided just to accept that whenever I try or do something new, that I'm going to be pretty sore somewhere! This just seems to get worse as I get older. The groin area is really common with cross country skiing. Because you use that area so much. Mine gets sore every time I go cause I don't ski that much. Every sport has a muscle or area that you use more than you do for other things. It is inevitable. Just hang in there, take advil and be thankful that you can still get out there and do it!

LBTC
02-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Robyn, if this is all within a few days, there's a chance these aren't as sports related as you think, but a virus. I've had that where I've had intense pain in one area, like a stiff neck, but that moved after a few days to, say, my knee. It started in areas that often hurt, then moved to areas that usually don't hurt. And I did not feel sick in any other way. It passed after a week, if I remember correctly.

Listen and be gentle with your body. You'll make it through this patch, too!

(and I won't bother with the list of things that are hurting on me this morning, and I didn't even try any new sport!!)

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

Crankin
02-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks, LBTC. It's possible that my muscles are particularly compromised because I am getting over being really sick with bronchitis and a sinus infection. Thank God for the miracle of drugs. I probably shouldn't be outside exercising in the cold, so today i went on my trainer and did a core dvd. My immune system is really twitchy; no particular disease, but I am very sensitive to big jumps in exercise intensity, mostly when it's something other than cycling. So, I am dealing with the aches and trying to baby myself a bit, at least until I am done with my meds. I know the illness is getting better though, since my HR was back to normal when I was on my bike today and it is always higher when I am getting sick or sick; like a radar system!

cosc
02-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I can't snowshoe very long before the dreaded groin ache attacks me too. Today were supposed to get 6 to 12 inches of snow so I'll probably be blessed with this problem again. I've been using the treadmill hoping to strengthen those muscles, but realize a specific exercise and stretching would be more beneficial.

Mr. Bloom
02-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Mr. Silver,

I went to a chiropractor a couple of years ago when I was having back issues. All he did was take my $, so I stopped. The lbs owner solved the problem this year when he quickly realized I had a leg length discrepancy. Putting a shim under my cleat solved that problem, after years of pain.

I respect your experience. Indulge me just a bit:

10 years ago, my sciatica emerged. MD gave drugs with temporary relief (and emotional side effects).

In desperation, went to chiropractor. He took an xray of my spine while standing. Showed the spinal misalignment, the twisted my hips and made one leg shorter than the other (sound familiar???).

He gave me a plan: 3 visits/week for three months. $35/visit UNINSURED at a time that we barely had two nickels to rub together. Fortunately, my insurance covers it these days...'cause I'm a believer...but back then, it was a huge leap of faith financially.

After 2 months, I was in doubt, but continued. After three months, the pain was gone and the xray revealed straight hips and spine. Until recently, I've been sciatica free for 10 years.

The body is a kinetic masterpiece...nothing but cause and effect...finding the source is the cure...Judging by the activities you pursue, you're not old (or at least not old acting;) ), so I suspect the answer is embedded in your body's kinetics.

But, I'm no expert...:D :D although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express two years ago:D :D

Wahine
02-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Robyn - I have a few bits o' info for you. First off, your issue does sound like a kinetic chain problem, but unlike Mr. Silver, I would recommend PT before Chiro. I believe there are many good Chiros out there, don't get me wrong. But I believe there are also many very good PTs that can take care of this problem. Unfortunately, I often see people after they've been through several treatments with poor outcomes. I can honestly say that I see this happen more often with Chiro treatment than PT. I also tend to hear stories of Chiro treatment that does not foster the patient's ability to independently manage their condition. Finally, Chiros tend to use manipulation a lot. As we get older the probability of a serious side effect from a manipulation becomes more of an issue.

Now, specifically regarding this issue. If you have a leg length discrepency, do you have a insert for your short leg that you can use in your cross country boot? This might help. Also, frequent slipping back on the weight bearing ski when you're doing your kick will increase stress on the area you described. You should make sure that you are waxed well to prevent this, assuming you are using waxed skis.

I'd also like to suggest some stretches. They may be same as what you are already doing. In particular, hip stretches are very important for both the pain in your knee and your hip.

http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness/h_hip_flexorstretch.htm

http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness/h_TFL_StrLy.htm

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.2.html

I combine these with the usual quad stretches and calf stretches.

I usually recommend holding a stretch for 20 to 30 seconds, repeat 3 to 4 times each side, twice/day until the symptoms are gone then you can slowly taper down to a maintainance schedule of 3 times/week.

Regular yoga classes or Pilates may be very helpful to you.

I hope this helps.

Pika
02-24-2007, 07:14 PM
I love the websites you posted esp. the easyvigour- very easy instructions! I love this! learning all the time:)...and I don't even have an ITB problem/imbalance. ( But I know people who do)!
Robyn: I can only say I second what Wahine suggested: I often see this sort of problem with people who have a kinetic chain problem- ie muscle imbalance + or - a pelvis rotation. My first choice would be a manual therapy trained physio to help you through this- some of my patients have also had some luck with ART ( active release therapy) never having experienced it I can only report what people tell me about it- "it works but it frigging hurts".
A manual therapist can almost certainly help hopefully with little pain.
Good luck- I hope you feel better soon:)

Wahine
02-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Pika, I'm glad you agree. :)

Crankin
02-25-2007, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the stretches. I am already doing 2 out of the 3, plus ramping up my yoga. Since aerobic stuff is still hard for me because of the recovery from the bronchitis, I am doing a lot more yoga, with lighter cardio. Right now, I am not a happy person. It is going to be 42 at the end of the week, and I want to ride my bike outside!
Yes, I have a definite imbalance. Untreated scoliosis. Nobody noticed it until I was 16, too late to do anything, since I had long been at my adult height. All of the issues i get are on the left side (except the knee).

I am going to call the PT this week.

Robyn

Tuckervill
02-25-2007, 06:29 PM
You might also consider a osteopathic doctor (D.O.) in addition/instead of just PT. Both my DO and my PT did manipulation for the whiplash I suffered in a car accident, but they didn't just rely on that, like a chiro might. It really helped.

Karen

Crankin
02-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks, everyone for the advice. After 4 days of doing the stretches, my groin is almost completely better. I was up doing yoga at 4 AM yesterday!
The knees and calves are better, too. I am going to go x country skiing after work today, since it looks like we are getting a big rainstorm Friday and that might be the last of the snow. I will be taking it very easy on a local trail, with no big climbs.
I thought I might be on my bike this coming weekend, but not sure how that looks now.

Robyn

Wahine
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Yipppppeeeee!!

I'm glad to hear it Robyn. Have fun in the snow!.:D :D

Dianyla
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
In addition to all the good suggestions about PT and stretching and all that, make sure you've got enough electrolytes. Calcium, potassium, and magnesium are the most important ones to make sure you're not getting muscle cramps due to imbalances or deficiencies.

It's a little counterintuitive to think about this problem in winter time, we always think of it as a summertime dehydration/sweat problem.