PDA

View Full Version : What distance?

Veronica
02-23-2007, 06:40 PM
So if I were to do a triathalon. What's a good distance to do for your first one?

Cycling a long way is not a problem.
Swimming a long way is not an issue.

Running... well...

That can be dealt with.

V.

KnottedYet
02-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I did a sprint for my first. (Danskin Triathlon) Around 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run. (I walked the run every step of the way.) I had a great time, and finished in about 2 hrs and 15 minutes.

Starfish
02-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Veronica, I have the same question! I just checked out the BeginnerTriathlete (or, beginning triathlete?) website.

There are a variety of training plans to look at (for free). There is also a good article about choosing a running training plan, and it discusses what to do if adding running is the issue (including if there are old injuries, etc).

There was a discussion of how to choose distances that took into account the level of endurance training you already have done in another sport.

I have never done a tri, but I am intrigued, and I found good info on the site.

Veronica
02-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the website.

Well here's the thing. I look at the distances - swim 2.6 miles. Sure I can do that. I was a distance swimmer in college.

Bike 112 miles. No problem. Last year I was doing double centuries.

Run 26.? Are you insane? What's this run thing...

Then there is the whole question of putting it all together on the same day. A hilly double century takes me 15+ hours. I'm not really worried about my endurance.

So I could see an IM happening someday. But not as a place to start. Is starting with a half crazy? The other distances seem really short in the swim and bike - my strengths. But even 13 miles seems like a crazy amount to run, when you're a non runner. Okay, so actually I did do cross country in high school - a bizillion years ago.

And then there's the whole, is this really what I want to focus on? I like challenges and having a goal.

The champagne is wearing off. I can actually think again. :p

V.

Wahine
02-23-2007, 11:54 PM
V. My first Tri was Oly distance: 1.5 km swim, 40 km bike and 10 km run. Total time for you would be between 2:30 and 3 hours based on your fitness. It might be the right place for you to start. Oly distance is interesting, it's not a sprint effort but it's pretty bloody close. Kinda like running the 800 in track.

You can really handle the bike and swim, I think that a sprint distance would not challenge you quite enough (based on your double century past). I think that 13 miles running is likely a little excessive for a starting point, although you might be able to go up to that distance fairly quickly. Yup, I'd say that Oly is the way to go. IMHO.

HillSlugger
02-24-2007, 05:11 AM
I've seen some very short sprint triathlons:
200-300m swim
10k (6mi) bike
1.5mi run

My first will be:
300m pool swim
12mi ride
3.1mi run

An event with a pool swim should feel less intimidating than an open water swim. My second tri, the Iron Girl, has a lake swim. I'm not intimidated by the open water, but I'm intimidated by the 1000m length. I couldn't do that now if I had to, but I could do 300m in a pool. I'd be slow, but I could finish.

alpinerabbit
02-24-2007, 12:53 PM
What's the importance of transitions vs. overall time though - with suboptimal practice and gear I expect to lose serious time on transitions during my first sprint ! :eek:

KnottedYet
02-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I spent a lovely 10 minutes (or was it 12?) on my swim-to-bike transition last year. I had a snack, dried off, chatted with some other women, had a drink, then hopped on the bike.

I think my transition might have been a wee bit excessive... :o

But in all honesty, that swim wore me right out. I needed the break. I kicked heinie on the bike leg, then lost it all again when I walked the run.

Hoping things will be more efficient this year.

btchance
02-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Veronica - I would consider an Olympic distance - not too short on the bike or swim and enough distance on the run to push you a little (esp since your 3mile run time makes me jealous right now :) )

Oh, and for the transitions - the harder the swim, the longer T1 becomes for me. What can I say - if i'm already tired at that point, I just don't want to stress out at that moment :rolleyes: But in general, the shorter the tri, the more important the transition. I can do T1 in under 2min, and T2 in 1min (assuming the transition area isn't too big) It can be the difference in placings. I would say, if you're just doing the tri for fun, don't stress out too much on them. If you're trying to place, definately practice them.

Wahine
02-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree with BTC about the importance of transitions. In a sprint distance race they will mean a difference in placing. Think about it, if you even take only 1 min longer in a transition and you only have a 3 mile run, you would have to run at a significantly fater pace to make that up. If you normally run a 9 min mile, you would have to average an 8:40 to make up 1 min over 3 miles.

Having said that, I always tell people not to worry about it on your first race. You want it to be a fun experience so don't be in a rush. If your goal is to finish, then how you place doesn't matter.

A little story about transitions:

Sprint race: 1 km swim, 25 km bike and 8 km run. Me vs Mary-loo (names have been changed to protect identities :p )

I came out of the water 30 sec in front but the water was very cold. My feet were like stumps. My plan was to do a rodeo start on the bike (run in bare feet, jump on bike, get pedaling then put shoes on while on the road). it was a good idea except that my feet were so numb I was having trouble getting them into my shoes. On this particular morning it was a bad transition plan. While I'm riding slower than normal, trying to rectify the problem, Mary-loo passes me. She gets out in front by about 30 sec before I hit my rhythm and we're so closely matched that I can't make any ground on her. Prior to the race I had gone to the trouble of buying and learning how to use elastic laces. I caught up to her and passed her heading out of T2, thanks to a faster transition. She sped up and we ran together for the whole race until her shoe become untied. She wouldn't stop to tie it, she was already struggling to hold pace with me and she knew I'd be long gone. I'm a PT. I couldn't stand the idea of her hurting herself so I agreed to walk until she tied he shoe and caught up to me again. We continued the race together and crossed the finish line at the same time.

Mary-loo and I are really good friends and I liked that we finished together. After the race she told her husband who is a very accomplished coach what had happened. He was all up in arms that I didn't really try my hardest to beat her. He actually suggested that I should have pushed her over when she was tying her shoe. :eek: :eek: He was joking of course.

anakiwa
02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Go with whatever interests you the most!

That said- doing a sprint first is not a bad idea- they're easy enough to work in and it'll help work out any kinks- clothing, equipment etc. (I had no idea how hard it could be to put socks on wet feet when you're rushing until my first tri.)

I started with a sprint, did an Olympic the next month, and a half IM the month after that. I suppose that made me more comfortable adding distance gradually, but I'm not sure it was necessary. If you're comfortable with long-distances & endurance activities you'd probably do fine in a half IM (just make sure you can run that far).

Have fun!

Running Mommy
02-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey V
There is a really great race out the Danville way. I think it's called "tri for fun". I'm thinking Pleasanton maybe?? I think it's actually a series. It's just a fun race to get your toes wet.
Then I would move on to Oly distance. There is a series in the Sac area that has a sprint on Sat and an oly on Sunday. Tri for real I think it was called? I did it a few years ago and quite enjoyed it.
I also think there is a race at lake berryessa as well. I'm thinking it may be oly distance??
Now if you ever want to do a FUN race that is a bit of a challenge I HIGHLY reccomend the Vineman in Santa Rosa. - Well Windsor/Guerneville. You can't beat the swim and bike courses. Tho the run course is a bugger. It gives a new meaning to "rolling terrain".... But it sure is a fun race. I lived along the run course and voly'd every year. They also do "barbs race" when they do the full vineman in August. It's a half IM but is a womens only race dedicated to raising money for cancer.
Or you could just jump both feet in and do escape from alcatraz!! :eek:
You SAID you were a strong swimmer! lol :D

Veronica
02-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I've looked at Barb's race. I'm going to see how the running goes and then decide.

V.

Lise
03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
V! You're going to do a tri! How exciting! :D Just popping my head in here for the first time in a long time, and delighted to see you've been assimilated...ahem. I mean.... :p If swimming's not a problem, and we KNOW biking's not a problem for you, then run train, and I'll bet you build your distance without too much trouble. RM has some great suggestions, of course. Looking forward to reading your training and race reports!

I'm getting back in the saddle myself--swam yesterday, and ran and did weights today. I'm having an extraordinarily quiet week with work; for me the challenge is when on earth to train. It feels really good to be getting back to it; I'm looking forward to my first sprint of the season in May.

Yay for triathlons! :D L.

Veronica
03-01-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure yet. The first run went well, although I was sore after. I have to found one at a good time and that's hard.

V.