PDA

View Full Version : Help me eliminate excuses!

are_you_stinky?
02-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I started cycling last summer, and commuted to work occasionally. I have an OK place to lock up my bike and access to showers at the gym in my office building, so I'm good there. The thing that held me back a lot last summer was my daily work schedule. I work for a hospital, but I work in an office building that is a little over a mile away from the hospital. I didn't commute on days I had meetings at the hospital, because I couldn't figure out how to ride the 1.25 miles each way and not arrive looking totally sweaty and unprofessional. My job role changed in the fall, and now I have a meeting at the hospital at least 3 out of the 5 weekdays, and even less leeway with my appearance (I am often meeting with physicians).

I have actually given thought to just walking; I imagine I could cover the distance in the same time it takes me to drive, which is a ridiculous 30 minutes from my office to the meeting location because of some walking + parking hassles. Somehow I'm afraid people would think that I was not using my work time productively if they found out I was walking, so that's held me back on that. I don't think anyone would care about the biking, but the sweatiness is a problem. I'm a runner, and my body figures out quickly when it's being exercised and starts to pour out the sweat. :D I also worry about greasing up my clothes.

Thoughts? I actually would love to commute to work every day of Lent, but I need to get these hurdles worked out first.

Thanks!

mimitabby
02-21-2007, 01:09 PM
gee, 1 mile of walking would make me sweatier than 1 mile of bicycling!
You can ride leisurely for that one mile and do the workout before/after work.
You don't have to always hammer it, and your body WILL know the difference.

Veronica
02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
My commute is 2 miles each way and I wear my work clothes on the bike. When it's warm I wear skirts with shorts underneath. Through the winter I wear jeans or chinos.

I ride pretty easy coming to work, to avoid sweating as much as possible. The trip home is a little harder since I climb a hill at the end. But even that can be done w/o sweating too much.

Ride like you're out for a casual stroll.

V.

LadyinWhite
02-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Gee I hope not. My commute is about 10 miles and it hasn't even occurred to me that I shouldn't do it because I'm going to be sweaty.

Hmmmmm... remind me to put a bar of deodorant in my desk just in case.

are_you_stinky?
02-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, maybe it's all in my mind... I just need to try it. My work hasn't been terribly supportive of my exercise... when I used to run on my lunch break, my co-workers whispered behind my back that I was running on work time. I later got busted for bringing my bike into my office, so now I have to lock it up in a city parking garage. I figure if I show up at a meeting looking like I did anything other than drive there, that'll be the next round of criticism.

I'll quit worrying and give it a shot.

MomOnBike
02-21-2007, 02:21 PM
You might be surprised at how supportive the docs are about biking. "My" docs have given me no trouble with my bike commuting. If they do, you could always look 'em in the eye and firmly announce something about preventive medicine.

Also, when you state that you are doing something - however wierd - for Lent, people tend to back off. After that, they'll be used to it. At least it's worked that way for me.

Finally, I agree with everybody else. Don't try to set any land speed records on the one-mile ride. A walking pace is fine. You are talking about walking the distance, after all. You can take your time and smell the roses, and you won't end up smelling like the fertilizer. (Did I just type that? :confused: )

Eden
02-21-2007, 02:27 PM
When they all have diabetes and high blood pressure from inactivity you can whisper behind their backs!!! Sheesh has being fit become a crime? I would guess it is mostly just jealousy.
Please don't neglect yourself and your well being because tongues may wag
You know that you are doing what is good for you and your health and well being is much more important than other peoples pettyness.

A nice bike with a chain guard and an easy pace seems like it would get you to your meetings without anyone having to know you didn't drive. It probably wouldn't even take any longer than driving.

mimitabby
02-21-2007, 04:06 PM
I can't believe you got busted for having a bike at work. We park them next to our desks, in stair wells, leaning on walls,and there is a room off a lab that has 3 bikes in it all year round !!!!

are_you_stinky?
02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
The best part was that the reason for not bringing my bike in was because any oil I picked up on the tires from the road would get on the carpet. The ugly, nasty carpet.

Ironically, later that same week I got a building-wide email about a fitness walk from the woman who busted me. I hope they didn't track anything in on the precious carpet.

(No I'm not still bitter about it, not at all! ;) )

Thanks for the encouragement... I appreciate it!

mimitabby
02-21-2007, 04:51 PM
seems to me, as you implied; that feet could track in that grease too. It's not like a motorcycle or car that DRIPS grease!!!

sounds like a power struggle in your office. don't let those people intimidate you. surely you can't get fired for riding a bike. Imagine how much fun the local papers would have with a story like that!

are_you_stinky?
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I was very tempted to contact one of the local news stations that has an "On Your Side" kind of thing. But, the lady who busted me is the executive assistant to basically the highest-up person in the entire building, so I didn't really think it would be a good career move. But you gotta wonder why a health system is not more encouraging of its employees' health and fitness. My boss at least saw the injustice in the whole thing.

Eden
02-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a silly excuse to me - they don't make everyone take of their shoes do they....... being the sass that I am I probably would've said I'd be happy to carry a rag and wipe down the tires before entering the building so problem solved.

Wahine
02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Are-you-stinky - I can't believe this is a problem. Well I believe it but it really shouldn't be a problem. In this day and age when we know so much abobut the benefits of exercise all employers should be encouraging their employees to be active. Especially in a health care field. Companies all over the world are recognizing that having healthy employees means fewer sick days and better productivity on the job. That is a statistical fact that you can discuss with the next person that gives you a hard time. Many progressive companies are making gyms available for employee use while on the job. Yes, they are getting paid to exercise. This is becoming very popular in parts of Europe, China and Japan.

I agree with Mimi, I think someone has a bug up their butt. They are either on a power trip and/or they have a self esteem issue. They see you as active and conscientious about your health and they want to bring you down to their level because your activity makes them feel worse. If that's the case, realize that it's their problem not yours and blow it off. I once worked in a department with some ladies like this. I was getting busted every week for something and it was always by this overweight, depressed woman with seniority. It was always the stupidest stuff too.

If it was me, I would get up every morning and during my morning meditation I would send blessings to this individual for health, happiness and harmony. Then I would carry on with my day and let things slid off me like water off a duck's back. This does two things, it allows you recognize this persons plight and do something compassionate for them. It's a karma thing. That then frees you to go on with your life knowing that you have been kind in spirit and can now distance yourself from the nasty web that is perhaps entangling her.

Or I could be completely off base.

logdiva32
02-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I can't believe you got busted for having a bike at work. We park them next to our desks, in stair wells, leaning on walls,and there is a room off a lab that has 3 bikes in it all year round !!!!

My bike is parked right in front of my cubicle divide as you see in the pic. Once, my boss did asked me about riding to my appointments /meetings, I explained it takes the same amount of time with parking and walking. I also come in bout 15-20 minutes lte because I swim in the morning. But I usully worke later tht everyone else. I can't believe your people are not supportive, sorry. Maybe you can ask what the real issue is with your bike? Does it detract from the professional appearance? Is it dirt, is there back closet?

Crankin
02-22-2007, 03:13 AM
You should find a book or article about progressive companies that encourage exercise, bike commuting "on company time." Photocopy some of the stats and leave it on that woman's desk!
Seriously, can you talk to your boss about it? Maybe s/he can put a stop to the nasty talk. Yea, those women are really just jealous. Don't let them stop you. My husband commutes a couple of times a week. Sometimes, when it's not convenient to do this, he brings his bike and rides at lunch time. When he first started at this company, he had just finished a lunch ride and was showering in the fitness center. He saw his boss in the locker room and got really nervous. His boss said, "Don't worry, I just got back from a run!" If you get your work done, who cares if you ride your bike?
I don't commute much since I moved to a new house, but people at school have been very supportive when I have ridden in. If someone is there early enough to see me transform from a cyclist into my professional self (without a shower) they are usually amazed.

Grog
02-22-2007, 06:38 AM
I also think your co-worker are jealous.

This being said, although their motives are silly (the grease thing), I have to say that lots of buildings don't want bikes in the offices. The main issue I've heard is liability in case of emergency. If you have a safe spot to put it in the garage, then good.

I think it's totally possible to bike to your meetings without sweating. Depending on the bike you ride, though, you might want to be careful about getting grease on your right pant leg. Rolling up said leg is probably the safest way to proceed if you don't have a chain protector (and even if you do...) You might want to do something about the left leg too if you're wearing really nice pants.

On a one-mile ride, you want to go as slow as possible, look at the birds and the flowers (or nice buildings), etc. to make sure you don't go too fast and sweat. Or if you are riding a speedy road bike and really can't help it, then you could consider getting a cheap city bike to keep in that same garage just to go to your meetings. When you switch bike, your body knows you're not in for the speed...

Good luck! I'm sure you can get rid of those excuses.

uk elephant
02-22-2007, 07:01 AM
And if they are concerned that you are wasting company time by walking or cycling to your meeting....time yourself once walking, once riding and once driving and make sure you time it from when you leave your desk until you arrive at the meeting (ie including the time it takest to find your car, start it up, get out of the parking lot, drive the mile, find a parking space, lock up your car). I am certain that on a distance of only 1 mile both walking and cycling would be far faster than taking the car, even without sweating as you go! Then next time someone comments on how you are wasting company time by walking, show them the times and tell them you are actually being far more efficient with company time wasting less time in transit!

spokewench
02-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I guess I have it pretty great. I live in a smallish rural town and riding my bike to work is very acceptable to all here. I usually don't bring my bike in just lock it outside; except when I ride my road bike or my dual suspension mountain bike (they are too expensive to leave outside). If I bring those bikes, I just carry it upstairs and park it by my desk or must outside my office against the wall. I've had some people comment about my bike being there (not many) but when I explain how much it costs and that i don't want to lose that kind of money, they seem to understand why I won't lock it outside.

I do have a shower here at work also, but rarely use it when I get in since my ride is not too long 5-8 miles or so?

People are pretty understanding about working out here, (it is an outdoorsy, hiking, biking, skiing kind of town) so that is part of it. I don't usually work on Wednesdays, but in the last couple of weeks I've had to come in for meetings with clients on Wednesday, but I worked it around my tennis workouts. Both meetings I came in my sweats from the tennis workout. I figured they needed me at the meeting, but I also needed my workout. Everyone was fine with it.

Oh, if your wondering what I do. I'm a paralegal

I'm lucky

Geonz
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Ten years from now they'll be the fools and you'll have been the trendsetter. Be the brave, courageous trailblazer doin' the Right Thing. People are threatened when they see other people doing what, in the back of their minds, htey *know* they should be doing and don't want to admit it. Be militantly healthy!

missymaya
02-23-2007, 08:18 AM
If people are bothered b/c you ride to work, ask them why. Really, what is the trouble with something as simple and harmless as riding a bike to work. You dont take up a parking spot, there's a good chance you'll be on time or early, you'll probably be feelin' good from the ride and all those endorphins so that would help with your work ethic, etc. So, why would they be bothered? Easy, its something they know they should do too, but just dont for whatever reason.
I work in a similar office, where they all act as if riding a bike to work is just crazy and "dont live", but I dont care, cause I love to do it. The only issue I have: cold showers:mad: ! They haven't fixed the cold/hot water showers in the womens bathroom since the hurricaines.

carpaltunnel
02-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Gee you got a lot of great advice here, and I'm going to take it too!
What better time to start this than Lent? And as for taking responsibility for your health: are you on the company's health insurance policy? If so, you're taking steps to lower their costs, leaving more money in the budget (we hope!!!) for salaries. The company I work for is suddenly very focused on this after the costs to insure the health of the employees DOUBLED in one year.

Someone will soon appreciate your contribution, but maybe not that "office wife" type who gave you static. I can just picture her - does she still have big hair that's mostly spray like I had in the 80's, and you just know she wraps it all up in toilet paper at night, and doesn't engage in anything vigorous because it might mess up her hair? Poor thing:( She needs a bike. :D