PDA

View Full Version : I am dreading heat

alpinerabbit
02-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Oh dear. We're approaching the warmer season!

Today is the first time I came back from my run sweaty and with my head lit like a red light. I was dressed too warmly but at one point it will get hot whatever I wear. I am dreading running when it gets warmer.

How do you cope?

mimitabby
02-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Oh dear. We're approaching the warmer season!

Today is the first time I came back from my run sweaty and with my head lit like a red light. I was dressed too warmly but at one point it will get hot whatever I wear. I am dreading running when it gets warmer.

How do you cope?

heat? In Switzerland In february? Say it isn't so!!
I am dreading it too of course, but right now I am dreading going outside for my walk because it's nasty, windy, rainy and cold.

rocknrollgirl
02-20-2007, 07:05 AM
RUN NAKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry had to do it.....

Kimmyt
02-20-2007, 08:14 AM
I dunno, I'm dreading this too! I started running in <50degree weather and I like running in the cold! It is very refreshing!

SO not looking forward to humid mid-atlantic summers... but I will probably end up rocking the sports bra/shorts thing since my newfound abs are no longer an embaressment to me...

k.

alpinerabbit
02-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Yeah, yeah nice try.

http://www.ics.forth.gr/~pnevmati/familyphotos/Nikolas1year/12_ICanRun.jpg

It's not HOT yet but today was about 15&#176;C at lunchtime, in the sun.

I did not run at all the previous 2 summers because it was too bloody hot. I can do with about 20 degrees, then I blow up.

Last year we escaped the heat the day of the local tri, but this year I am in it....:eek:

*ping*Idea*

of course my regular route goes along the river, so I'll just hop in it in the end. Can I call my invention "reverse tri brick"?

HillSlugger
02-20-2007, 09:35 AM
During a cold weather run I'll be progressively unzipping. When it's warmer out I'll be shedding hat and gloves as necessary and even pulling off a jersey or jacket. Even when it's 18 degrees out I come back from my run sweaty and need to peel off everything as soon as possible. About the best temp for running I've seen so far is around 55 or 60 degrees, warm enough for shorts and just a short sleeve top but cool enough to not overheat.

It's going to be a whole new thing for me to run during the spring and summer. Luckily I do most of my running at 6am when it's still cool.

mcoleman
02-20-2007, 09:37 AM
I live on the SC coast where humidity just makes the heat even more fun! When it really starts to get bad, we just move the runs to pre-dawn. The more I can get done before the sun comes up, the better. It's better than the treadmill and the afternoon nap is even more appreciated!

missymaya
02-20-2007, 09:50 AM
mcoleman I hear ya. Down in FL, the heat alone gets pretty ferocious but once you add the himidity, its down right vicious! pre-dawn or dusk outdoors activities it will be then!

Bluetree
02-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Ugh, heat.

I am so used to temperate coastal weather that I bomb out whenever I have to go inland for something. (Each mile away from the coast = 1°F hotter)

Plus, I'll be sad to see summer arrive for a different reason. My lonely stretches of beach will be crowded with tourists, kids-running-amuck, cars and trash. :(

Wahine
02-22-2007, 07:17 PM
My Tri training partner in Edmonton AB hated the heat. When we signed up for IM Canada, he had to figure out a way to improve his heat tolerance. So, he signed up for Bikram Yoga. These classes are done in rooms at 40 deg C.

It helped him get through IM Canada which is usaully held in temps above 30 C.

crazycanuck
02-23-2007, 01:04 AM
I don't like the heat either....and i'm in Western Australia..:rolleyes:

When i was doing the run session on Tues AM late last yr/early this year it was very humid at 530am. I don't deal well with the heat and ran slower than most. The hills were so much fun..:mad:

c

East Hill
02-23-2007, 02:55 AM
I have an excellent excuse in that my migraines get triggered above a certain heat.

So I just don't do it. I know my limitations. I ride my bike instead, no running.

East Hill