PDA

View Full Version : First Road Ride

Tri'ing Hard
06-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Well, I did it. My very first road ride. I only did 12 miles, but it really wasn't too bad. There is actually more room on the shoulder of the road than I thought. There was only one area coming back that was somewhat difficult to maneuver, but I made it through. I was actually able to go a decent speed and heart rate. Maybe next week I'll go a little further.:D

JanT
06-18-2004, 09:05 AM
Twelve miles is a good first adventure. If you'd done much more, you might have been sore--legs, bottom, hands, shoulders, they all can get sore if you do too much too soon. Have fun, but beware: bicycles are addicting!

Biking Chick
06-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Congrat's on your first road ride Cheryl!

Consider yourself a roadie!

:D

Cindy
Ride Like A Girl!

Shimpie
06-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Kudos for you Cheryl!

I haven't had the courage to take my road bike into traffic yet. I don't have the same confidence as on my mountain bike, so I just keep to safe and boring trails. I guess it doesn't help that I'm also learning to the whole clipless thing too.

Weena

llv24
06-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Does comfort with downhill speed come with time? I'm a complete beginner and will be doing my first tri (sprint) in October and I can't imagine cycling downhill as fast as I've seen experienced riders do. Any words of encouragement?:confused:

trekchic
06-23-2004, 07:54 PM
HANG ON!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I rode downhill @ 33 mph last Fall on my 1st long distance ride. I was with a group of riders who've been riding for a long time and they forgot that I was new........I thought I'd die! But, one girl told me to feather the brakes, hold it steady and try not to yank on the brakes. It'll make you pop a tube if you heat up the rim by holding the brakes the entire time.

I loved it, btw........after I made it to the bottom and didn't die! haha!

:D :p :D :p

cyclingnewbie
06-24-2004, 04:27 AM
Tri'ing hard:

Congratulations on your first road ride! Now you're hooked like the rest of us. ;-) Twelve miles is a great first ride. You will be surprised at how quickly your distance increases as you become hooked on riding. Keep pedalin'!!

Veronica
06-24-2004, 04:30 AM
Downhills use to make me nervous - until I did my first century. A corner snuck up on me and I went into it much faster than I would have liked. I had to lean over hard to make the turn. But I did it and gained a lot more confidence from it. I love going downhill now. Fast can be fun. But you have to trust yourself and your gear. My personal highs are 59 on the tandem, 45 on a road bike. :D

My advice - practice, practice, practice. Find a route with some decent downhills with some curves in it. Hopefully something without too much traffic. Don't be afraid to take the lane - especially if it's a curvy road. Having that full lane to manueveur in lets you pick a better line. Wear bright colors so the cars can see you.

Good luck!

Veronica

hibiscus09
06-24-2004, 02:17 PM
I've still only gone 26mph downhill! :) I started riding last year -- around August. My sister, who was even more of a newbie cruised right by me, she says because she weighs more. LOL I have heard so many stories about people riding in the area near me with hills -- Ft. Jackson, S.C. -- falling and breaking hips, etc. I just don't wanna!! I need my hips! LOL

I am such a go getter with weightlifting but I still feel like I have a slight fear of my bike -- even after doing the MS150 last year -- and am training for it again. I wonder if it will ever go away.

cyclingnewbie
06-24-2004, 02:47 PM
hibiscus09:

My opinion is that you should only do what you are comfortable with and enjoy. Otherwise, what's the point? I have been told that I need to get off the bike path and out on the roads, but every time I venture out, I am more stressed about the traffic and I don't enjoy the ride nearly as much. I prefer the scenic bikeways, so that's pretty much what I stick with. Go the speed you can handle. As long as you are riding and enjoying it, who cares how fast you go? :)

hibiscus09
06-24-2004, 03:07 PM
I agree! :) I do a lot of bike path riding on Kiawah Island, S.C. and also on the neighborhood roads here.

I think I just need to get more assertive and join some of the rides of the local cycling club in the city where I live. I'm not too scared of the roadways, per say, although I would be choosy about where I ride. I'm amazed when I see cyclists riding on the two lane highways down here in the islands -- there's not much room to maneuvre and no shoulder area at all.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with having healthy fears and I think I'll pass on the 40+mph downhills! Not knocking anyone brave enough to do those things -- it just isn't me!! :D

pedalfaster
06-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by llv24
Does comfort with downhill speed come with time? I'm a complete beginner and will be doing my first tri (sprint) in October and I can't imagine cycling downhill as fast as I've seen experienced riders do. Any words of encouragement?:confused:

Downhill road tips:

Relax. Take a deep breath. Put your hands in the drops. Bend your elbows. Look ahead. Focus. Breath. Pedals at 12 and 6, weight on downward pedal, not on the saddle (if your downhill has curves you'll need to adjust your pedals; if you are not "pedalling through" just do one quick pedal stroke and make sure the outside pedal is in the 6 o'clock position). Breath. Elbows still bent? If you need to scrub speed tap your brakes (both front and rear) gently. Tap again if necessary. If you feel out of control, try schooching baaaack on your saddle. Tap the brakes. Breath. Be like water. Descending is a zen thing. Once you "get it" you will grow to love it.
:)

Veronica
06-24-2004, 04:17 PM
I love that description Pedalfaster! It's so true.

And hibiscus it took me a LOOOONG time to get comfortable going downhill. I don't want to crash (who does) so I'm pretty cautious on new roads. My fast times were on straight downhills with good sightlines and clean pavement.

Veronica

hibiscus09
06-24-2004, 04:36 PM
LOL, Veronica -- you're my biking hero!! :) I wish I could see you in action! I'm so bold about some things as I've leg pressed 815lbs and squatted 215lbs -- I guess those seem slower to me --I've never had that need for speed. :D LOL!

Thanks for the tips, Pedalfaster! I felt like I was going so fast at 26mph! LOL That was an accomplishment for me. I'll keep your tips in mind!

Veronica
06-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Wow! I wish I could get into the gym regularly to lift. I'd rather go ride. :)

That's some impressive weight! My goal use to be to squat what I weigh. I feel like a wimp now. ;)

Veronica

hibiscus09
06-25-2004, 05:12 AM
I'm liking the riding more than the lifting anymore -- I love being outside. I weigh 118lbs and stopped lifting so heavy because I was starting to feel thick. My sister said I was starting to walk like a Dude. :eek:

Veronica
06-25-2004, 05:33 AM
So you're one wicked strong stick! I hate you! :D I'll weigh 118 when I'm dead.

V.

hibiscus09
06-25-2004, 05:43 AM
LOL! I'm only 5'3.5" tall -- I think the .5" is my hair. :D I've never felt skinny -- I'm have a pretty round bootie. LOL

Besides, you shouldn't feel like a wimp -- you'd leave me in your dust on a bike!!

Veronica
06-25-2004, 06:35 AM
Round booties look better in swimsuits. Thom and I spent an afternoon in HI critiquing swim suit choices. :p

The worst was a gray and white one piece that looked like scales. It had no straps and the lady spent the afternoon hiking it up over her boobs.

The best was a very pregnant lady in a tiny two piece. The bottom sat right under her belly. She had some of the best legs I have seen on a chick. I wanted to ask her what she had done to stay in such great shape throughout her pregnancy.

Veronica

PS I apologize for hijacking the thread. We'll get back to talking about riding now. :)

Tri'ing Hard
07-03-2004, 08:38 AM
After several rides, the more I ride on the road, the better I feel.

As far as downhill, I rode our race course today and there is a big hill, I just geared up and held on, I didn't start breaking until I was at the bottom of the hill and only because there was a stop sign.

My biggest problem is with cornering. I cannot go around a corner faster than 14mph. Any tips on that? I hate to slow down in a race, only to have to kick it back up.

pedalfaster
07-03-2004, 06:03 PM
or "A picture is worth a thousand words"

Tri'ing hard: I was about to post all kinds of tips n tricks for cornering (countersteering, weighting the outside pedal, looking where you want to go etc etc) and then I realized the best answer: find the best cornerer in your bike club/community and follow her. It's the fastest way to learn to really rail those curves.

ausgirl
07-04-2004, 07:58 PM
To Hibiscus09,

Wow, 215 pounds for a squat is really good! Are you a powerlifter or something? The most I've squatted would be about 65kg (143pounds). And a word of warning, I know of an elite male sprinter who really stuffed his knee up (is back on international circuit now) while leg pressing 600kg (1320pounds), which is a lot more than you, but he's probably way bigger than you too. So please be careful, don't stuff up your knees for cycling!

hibiscus09
07-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Thanks ausgirl -- no I've never been a power lifter and there were a few ladies at my gym who could out squat me. It was just a lifting gym where a lot of bodybuilders lifted. Women actually have just as strong legs as men, it's the upper body where we have problems lifting as heavy. I don't lift nearly that much anymore -- I do half of what I used to do on leg lifts as I felt my legs were starting to get a little stockier.

Anyway, thanks. So far, no knee problems thank goodness. I have had an impinged shoulder before, however, and injuries are a hassle.

caligurl
07-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Veronica
My personal highs are 59 on the tandem, 45 on a road bike. :D

uhm.... are you saying MPH???? egads!!! if so.. scared me just to read it!

Veronica
07-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Yep - that is mph. Both of those were on long, straight downhills. On curvy stuff I'm slower. :p

I've worked at building up my skills and confidence on downhills. My afternoon training ride has a couple of nice downhills on it.

Veronica