PDA

View Full Version : Trying to choose a pedal

mj15
02-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I currently have Dura Ace SL's, on one bike, they are easy to get into but they're sometimes difficult when dismounting. I have Records on the other bike; they are the opposite of the Dura Ace, easy to dismount but a pain to enter. My problems occur when I am at the end of a very long ride and I am extremely tired and on a big hill. My legs are so exhausted and shaky the bike is barely moving and sometimes I can't get out of the Dura Ace pedals without a nerve racking upset. Other times, when I am in the Record pedals and I need to dismount and hike up the last 10-20ft. I get out of the pedals without a problem but then my tired legs have a difficult time remounting and I have nearly crashed. I am going to the bike shop tomorrow to choose a new pair of pedals and have them properly fitted. I ride road Sidi shoes. Is there a pedal that is easy in and out, even when your legs are like noodles?

DebW
02-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Take a look at Speedplays. Easy in, easy out, lots of float, easy on the knees. The downside is that the cleats are rather hard to walk in, need to be lubricated frequently, and get clogged with dirt easily.

Veronica
02-18-2007, 09:50 AM
I like my eggbeaters.

V.

Surlygirl
02-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Ditto what Veronica said.

bike4ever
02-18-2007, 11:02 AM
My suggestion is to try Speedplay's new pedal called Light Action: http://speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.lightaction
We were able to try these at Interbike, and they were very easy to get in and out of without pulling out of them when climbing. I've used both the X-pedals and the Frogs and am a huge fan of Speedplay.

Trekhawk
02-18-2007, 05:02 PM
You could give Crank Brothers Quattros a try. They are eggbeaters with a platform. Eggbeaters are great too I have them on my mountain bike and they couldnt be easier to get in or out of.:)

emily_in_nc
02-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Since you have road shoes, I'd definitely recommend Speedplays. I ride the X-2s on my road bikes, but the new Light Actions sound really good too (and gotta love the colors!) I tried Zeros but had a terrible time getting clipped in so finally sold them on ebay. For mountain shoes, I am a recent convert to Speedplay Frogs from Eggbeaters.

Emily

LBTC
02-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I second Trekhawk - I've got Quatros and LOVE them - I've got Candys on my MTN Bike, too. ONe of the great things about the Quatros is that the entry is on both sides, no need to try to find the right surface to click into. Pretty easy entry, really easy exit. And I have MTN bike racing shoes and they still work.

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

mj15
02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I found a pair of Speedplay Zeros in my box of spare parts. They came off a used bike I purchased years back. I took them to my bike shop today. The mechanic/salesman was great. He recommended the Light Actions but they were sold out. We went with $40.00 for new cleats, I am using the spare Zeros and I'll ride them for awhile before I invest in the Light Actions or go another route. He also threw my bike on the trainer and while I was trying them out he took about an hour to adjust the seat and maximize my pedal stroke. So, Speedplay for now and we'll see how it goes, thanks for all the help.

anakiwa
02-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Have you tried loosening the tension on your pedals?

I have Ultegras and don't have a problem with them.

7rider
02-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Speedplays are great.
I'd highly recommend you spring $10 for the cleat covers. They are very handy for walking around and protect those expensive cleats!

Batbike
02-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Speedplays! they are super!! Easy to use and great on the legs and knees! You can get cleat covers that stash in your pocket or seat bag to pull out if you want to walk around. Lubing is easy, but you have to remember to do it occassionally -- actually you will feel it in the pedals if you forget.