PDA

View Full Version : Runny Nose (I know it's gross)

Pam Ray
02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Does anyone else feel like they go through a pack of Kleenex every time they ride? It's riuning my form b/c I can't even tilt my head down. I take Claritin and Flounase, but to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion to something I could take or do that won't escalate my heart rate?
Pam

emily_in_nc
02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Pam,

I get a terrible runny nose whenever I ride in under 75-degree temps. It's not glamorous, but I carry a soft bandanna with me on every ride (in my jersey pocket) to blow my nose on. I just don't do snot rockets! ;) The bandanna works great.

Emily

Aint Doody
02-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I do snot rockets. I just warn people first.

Grog
02-15-2007, 06:56 PM
My nose runs so much everytime I exercise in sub-15Celcius weather that if I actually used kleenex my nose would have been rubbed off a while ago. It's just not an option.

I have to spit and snot rocket a lot. Sometimes it's not possible (very watery) and I will gently sponge off my nose with the terry part of my gloves.

I usually also swipe a lot of vaseline under my nose if it's a really cold day (around 5 Celcius or less).

Sorry, it's not elegant, but it's standard in the sport. Running is the same. Coss country skiing is the same.

Wahine
02-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Snot rockets here too!! It's sick, but I kinda like shootin' em. Makes me feel like the real deal. :D :D

maillotpois
02-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I probably lose a good half pint through snot rockets during a long ride! :p

Something about riding a bike just has that effect. The real problem is on the trainer. I can never seem to remember to stock some kleenex nearby. Snot rockets not an option indoors.

annie
02-16-2007, 11:12 AM
I probably lose a good half pint through snot rockets during a long ride! :p

Something about riding a bike just has that effect. The real problem is on the trainer. I can never seem to remember to stock some kleenex nearby. Snot rockets not an option indoors.

LOL on the trainer! That'd be really tacky!

Even tho' my mother informed me long ago that snot rockets were not lady-like, I guess I'm not a lady! I can't imagine riding and trying to blow my nose in tissues or anything else, for that matter. I'd probably fall over.

Annie

Bluetree
02-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Definitely snot rockets.

SouthernBelle
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Snot rocketry is a skill I am proud to have acquired. In fact I bragged about it on here the first time I managed it. If you are riding alone, who cares. If you are riding with guys, they don't care. If you are riding with girls, they shouldn't care.

Cyclo Kitty
02-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah. Nasty.
I've gotten used to it, and my DH has learned to ride on my left side. :D
I tried Claritin but the side effects were unpleasant--I'd rather have snot than feel weird.

Offthegrid
02-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah, my gloves are getting kinda scummy. I am not talented in the snot rocketry department.

emily_in_nc
02-16-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't get a runny nose on the trainer even when it's cool in the house (like now!) Only outdoors. Kleenex -- no way, it would tear to bits. But a nice soft bandanna....ahhhhhh! I take them on hikes too. Never heard of hikers blowing snot rockets! :D

Emily

SouthernBelle
02-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, my gloves are getting kinda scummy. I am not talented in the snot rocketry department.

I gave up and threw my in the washer & dryer. They came out fine!

anakiwa
02-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Atrovent nasal spray (you need a prescription for it). I use it when I'm going to be out cross-country skiing for hours in really cold weather. It dries everything up completely. (But I do make do with the snot rocket for shorter excursions or when it's not frigid.)

cosc
02-16-2007, 07:36 PM
In cold weather I use a bandana wrapped around my neck to wipe my runny nose. Easier to reach than my pocket.

Raindrop
02-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Since I get nosebleeds at the drop of a hat...nose rockets are not an option.
A glove works most of the time (yes, you can wash them as long as you don't put them in the dryer), or a bandana, or sometimes just my sleeve. Hell...I do have one of them auto-matic-clothes-washing-machines. (They work wonders on snot!).

li10up
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Atrovent nasal spray (you need a prescription for it). I use it when I'm going to be out cross-country skiing for hours in really cold weather. It dries everything up completely. (But I do make do with the snot rocket for shorter excursions or when it's not frigid.)
Does it give you "cotton mouth"? Does it really dry you up? How long does it last? Is there a "rebound" effect? Tell me more...I'd love to find something that works!

crazycanuck
02-22-2007, 01:03 PM
hey li10up.

You might want to check out some of Lise's old posts about the same issue. I thin that was her first post, asking about noses! Perhaps there might be an answer there for ya :)

*sniff* where's lise :(

c

Grog
02-22-2007, 01:12 PM
*sniff* where's lise :(

I've been wondering the same. Madly in love in some corner of the planet?? I hope so.

spokewench
02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I gave up and threw my in the washer & dryer. They came out fine!

Of course, wash your gloves! I usually hang them up to dry in the bathroom so they don't get crinkly and small, but it works perfectly!

anakiwa
02-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Does it give you "cotton mouth"? Does it really dry you up? How long does it last? Is there a "rebound" effect? Tell me more...I'd love to find something that works!

It really works. It doesn't affect my mouth at all. I find it lasts all day, and that it can dry things up too much (snot gets really hard and is more difficult to remove). I therefore try to limit it to when it's really cold, or when I really won't want to constantly wipe/blow my nose (long ski races, snowshoeing on first dates etc).

Meaux
02-23-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm so glad it's not just me!!! My nose starts to run at like mile four, and doesn't quit. The top tube on my bike was pretty nasty looking after my last ride. (I was tired and just didn't want to wipe my nose anymore. So hot, I know.)

Mr. Bloom
02-24-2007, 04:34 AM
yesterday while riding, Silver conceptualized the design for a snot catcher:eek: :eek:

It would catch it, and drain to the road.:p :p

Of course, then we both realized in our cases it would get clogged and back-up:( :(

HillSlugger
02-26-2007, 09:13 AM
I hate to admit it, but when I try to do a snot rocket I usually end up messing up either my hand or my leg. :eek: How do you avoid this?

hellosunshine
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
i think its generally agreed that when on the bike some bodily functions are permissable-farting,snotting etc etc:D

li10up
02-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I hate to admit it, but when I try to do a snot rocket I usually end up messing up either my hand or my leg. :eek: How do you avoid this?
You have to make sure you turn your head to the side slightly (too much and it will land on your shoulder) and you have to blow HARD for it to clear you. Also it helps if you have some speed so your momentum moves you away from it. I hate to admit that I've done this enough to be pretty good at it.:(

spudfun
02-26-2007, 10:40 AM
ya...snot rockets are the wat to go...

Celeste
02-27-2007, 06:30 PM
In cold weather I use a bandana wrapped around my neck to wipe my runny nose. Easier to reach than my pocket.

Yes, I use this method too. Cold weather it's around my neck and when it gets hot, it is used for sweat instead of snot. :o

ehirsch83
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
it is all about the snot rockets! just watch out for those cross winds! I am in south fl and I do all of my riding along a1a, it runs up the beach) so for big parts of my rides i am not blocked from the normal east winds. When they become crosswinds, some of the snot rockets end up on my leg or arm. not always pretty but oh well :)

Bluetree
02-28-2007, 12:15 PM
On the bike, on the run... I've become so dependent on the snot rocket that I have to catch myself from doing it in spin class. :eek: :eek: :eek:

SouthernBelle
02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
On the bike, on the run... I've become so dependent on the snot rocket that I have to catch myself from doing it in spin class. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can see you being banned from spinning. :p