PDA

View Full Version : Snow Day!!

Crankin
02-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Hey everyone,

Just checking to see how you all are enjoying the weather today. Not as much snow as I had hoped for, but it looks like I will get to use the snow shoes and x country skis a little closer to home. I've been sick for like 2 weeks, but the bronchitis is slowly going away and I guess my sinuses will eventually clear. I haven't seen my trainer in 13 days...

Tasha, maybe we can finally get together on the trails.

songlady
02-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Snow day here as well! :D This is our second this year, not bad at all. Only 6-8 inches so far, but they are calling for a total of 12-18 by the end of the day.

BleeckerSt_Girl
02-14-2007, 04:49 AM
Only 4 inches so far, but forecast calls for 15-30"! It's snowing like MAD right now. Going to hike down to town for breakfast, and later will try out my new snowshoes....finally! We're 45 minutes SE of Albany...no snow to speak of all winter until today.

DebW
02-14-2007, 04:52 AM
I've only got about 4" so far. Wayland schools are closed today, and that is pretty unusual. I'm working from home today. Not sure if I'll get out to ski or snowshoe - came down with a bad cold last night.

Pax
02-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Our entire town is still shut down...all schools, medical clinics, the local university (not closed since 1979 until yesterday), businesses... My boss just called to say she's opening our office. :rolleyes: Since my car is buried under a drift and snow-plow leavings I don't think I'll be going in today.

SheFly
02-14-2007, 05:58 AM
There's about 4 inches so far here in Bedford. My fear is the ice they are calling for this afternoon/evening. We're supposed to be heading up to Bethel for the long weekend tonight :eek: . The good news is that the current weather warning there is for a blizzard instead of ice :D . Gonna finally get about two feet of snow up there....

SheFly

Pax
02-14-2007, 06:09 AM
My boss just called again, she couldn't even get to the bus stop so she's changed her mind...our office is closed for today. :rolleyes:

Crankin
02-14-2007, 07:11 AM
We have about 4 inches, here in Concord, too. I took a walk down my driveway and the sleety wind was really hitting me in the face. Now it's snowing again. The ice prediction for this afternoon doesn't thrill me; I hope it is cleared for tomorrow's commute.

Kimmyt
02-14-2007, 08:27 AM
1-2" of ice and slush.

I'm not high enough on the totem pole to be allowed to work from home, so I had to drive in in the mess (no plowed roads at 9am! And these are not teeny back roads!:mad: )

The working world sucks.

mudmucker
02-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Working at home here today also. Got 6 inches here in Phillipston so far and still snowing like crazy. Birds are going nuts at the feeders. It is fine snow and not accumulating as fast. No sleet yet, it's still 20 degrees but I guess there's a warm strata hanging out up there that could change things. I'm typically in a snow belt. I'm up around 1100 feet and even the extra 500+ feet or so makes a big difference. I can pretty much depend on unadulterated snow here when others like Fitchburg or even Townsend get a mix. Alot of times in the summer the roads on the way home will be dry until I hit my area where there are huge puddles and wet roads indicating a quick afternoon storm blew through.

Gonna be great for the xc this weekend here. I'll go out in the storm today for a bit on the skiis. I can go out right from the house. Then I'll have to snowblow my 100 foot driveway. I reserved a few buckets of water (have septic and well) anyway in case there's icing on the powergrids that lead to Phillipston and the power goes out.

I actually got 5 inches of beautiful fluffy snow two weekends ago and got some great xc in out here - stayed fluffy for 2 weeks because temps never got near freezing. Gotta capitalize on the moment. Two years ago I got 6 good skiis in before Christmas which is unusual. Not this year.

emily_in_nc
02-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm envious! HEAVY rain here in central NC last night -- I kept thinking about how much snow it would be if it had been just a bit colder. We got down to 33! :mad:

If it can't be springtime and warm, I want snow!!!

Stay safe and warm all you gals up north and in the midwest!

Emily (in NC)

PAP103
02-14-2007, 12:46 PM
It was snowing here earlier now its pouring buckets. I really want snow. I just got some new snow shoes and was hoping to use them on Saturday. I should have known - if I get snow shoes, it will never snow again..... I'll have to head north.

anakiwa
02-14-2007, 12:53 PM
It was snowing here earlier now its pouring buckets. I really want snow. I just got some new snow shoes and was hoping to use them on Saturday. I should have known - if I get snow shoes, it will never snow again..... I'll have to head north.

Come up to Vermont. I'd say we have about 2 feet of new snow so far where I am (and it's still falling fast).

Crankin
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Went out and snow shoed for about 2.5 miles on a local trail. Going out the wind was blowing sleet in my face, but coming back was nice.The snow was perfect for snow shoeing. I feel like I'm working at about 50% of my capacity, feel pretty weak once i start moving, but today is the first day i feel somewhat human just doing regular things. My poor husband just went out to snow blow the driveway and got the front mat caught in the blower, because he had thrown it on the ground and then the snow covered it. Now he is out there swearing, trying to get it out. . .

BleeckerSt_Girl
02-14-2007, 02:06 PM
There's a snowshoeing thread here, if anyone is interested:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=12727
I just posted a photo there of my very first time out on my snowshoes- what fun!

crazycanuck
02-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Hey ladies,

I heard about your snow woes on the news :eek:

Keep warm!

C

Crankin
02-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Saw your picture Lisa. Looks great. Today is beautifully sunny, but freezing. I am deciding if I will go snow shoeing after work or go take a nice "centergy" class with a little warm up on the elliptical. Normally, I would prefer to be outside, but I feel like I should take it easy with my recovery from bronchitis. I have a full weekend of x country skiing and snow shoeing planned, and I have next week off. Anyone interested in going x country or snow shoeing on Tues., Wed. or Thursday????

Robyn

BleeckerSt_Girl
02-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Anyone interested in going x country or snow shoeing on Tues., Wed. or Thursday????

Robyn

Too bad Concord MA is on the "wrong" end of MA from me! :D ;) ;) ;)

DebW
02-15-2007, 06:10 AM
I have a full weekend of x country skiing and snow shoeing planned, and I have next week off. Anyone interested in going x country or snow shoeing on Tues., Wed. or Thursday????

Robyn

Maybe. Depends on how things are going at work. You going locally or driving somewhere? The current crust isn't good for skiing except at a machine-groomed place.

Crankin
02-15-2007, 10:37 AM
We could go up to Windblown. It's not a very far drive. I may go there over the weekend, so I can let you know how the conditions are.

DebW
02-15-2007, 10:58 AM
We could go up to Windblown. It's not a very far drive. I may go there over the weekend, so I can let you know how the conditions are.

Sounds good. If my work is caught up next week, I'd like to go.

Crankin
02-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Got an email from Windblown yesterday. Conditions seem to be perfect. Me, on the other hand seems to be never getting better. I went to the gym yesterday, did 30 minutes on the elliptical, came home and started coughing like crazy again. Now my head is full and hurting and my lungs are messed up again.

Is someone trying to tell me that exercise is bad??????

Anyway, Deb, I will keep you posted as to if I am able to go next week.

Robyn

mudmucker
02-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Hmmm. I am taking Monday off - friends are coming over and we're skiing out this way. Might be tough to take 2 days off. If you guys decide on a day, please post. I would be up for Windblown. I would have to see how the week goes and probably won't be able to tell if I can sneak another day until the last minute.

So Robyn, you're saying that you have a whole week off stretched out before you and you're sick? Geez, you drew the short straw. Chances are that Windblown will be good for a least the next couple of weekends unless it gets real warm and stuff refreezes. If you all out there are up for it, we could also try for an additional day next weekend?

It still might be good out here also. On another note most people don't know this but Wendell State Forest grooms trails for free. I've never known any other state forest to do this in MA. It is a very pretty place, they groom (they don't do it everyday but they do it frequently), it's free, and they even have a warming hut with a woodstove. It's really one of those best kept secrets, as it's never crowded. The trails might not be as wide as Windblown, and the groomer doesn't put down tracks, but it has some nice varied terrain.