PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Ride

JanT
06-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Yesterday was my 52nd birthday, and after reading on this forum about someone "riding their age," I decided to go for it. I just bought a road bike about a month ago, and have been gradually increasing the length of my long ride each week, so I knew I could do it. I headed out about 5:30 am, riding east into the sunrise. Every hour or so, I got off the bike for a bit and stretched, drank some gatorade, a couple times nibbled on a Clif bar. I stopped twice at parks to rest a few minutes, called my family to let them know my progress. Four hours and forty three minutes later, I was home again with 52.9 miles on the odometer. I feel great, not tired at all. The only thing that really bothered me was my upper back/shoulder area. I'm going to have the LBS switch the stem to the shorter one that they didn't have at the time I bought the bike, and if that doesn't fix the back problem, I'll have to fine tune my positioning.
Thanks for reading about my adventure, and thanks for all the inspiration you all give me with you posts.

Irulan
06-14-2004, 11:30 AM
happy birthday to you! Awesome...

Irulan

snapdragen
06-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear JanT

Happy birthday to you:D

Congrats on your ride!

JanT
06-14-2004, 07:55 PM
It was a great birthday, especially because it was also my 29th wedding anniversary.

Barb
06-15-2004, 04:24 AM
Wow! That is great! I got my road bike last week and just did 25 miles. Makes me feel like a wimp! See ya, I gotta go ride.

JDom226
08-09-2004, 05:35 AM
:) I just wanted to post my successful birthday ride. On Friday, August 6th, I turned 44 years old. After reading about the birthday rides in the forum, I decided this would be my goal for this year's riding. I purchased my road bike in May and have been putting miles on it every week to prepare. However, prior to Friday, my longest ride was 33 miles. I started out early, stopped at my half-way point for coffee and a bagel, and then finished the return ride. I felt stronger coming back than going out. The one thing I still don't understand is how it always feels uphill both ways.

I gave myself a big pat on the back when I got home, and am now looking for a metric century to tackle. Oh well, if I can't find an organized ride in my area I'll just have to go out and do my own. It's nice to know I'm capable of completing it.

Thanks for all the inspiration.