PDA

View Full Version : New road bike, can't decide!

Kyna
06-11-2004, 09:24 PM
I have to admit, I've been a long time lurker on the boards, but here's my first post.

I got my first "real" bike about a year and a half ago. A Gary Fisher Tassajara GS. I wanted a mountain bike because my boyfriend at the time was big into trails and I wanted to option to go with, and it was most similar to my little Giant hybrid i grew up with. First time trying SPD clips, loved em and feared them all at the same time! lol. Had fun with it on and off, but really fell in love with both the bike and cycling this year when I decided to put slicks on it and lose 35 lbs! That and clips finally didn't scare me anymore!

Well 25 less pounds and a fractured elbow later (I spooked a lady who didn't speak english when i called out i was passing her on her left.... banked left right into me), I'm still lovin my bike and I have a new goal...

MS-150 when it comes around next year! Course as much as I love my mountain bike, the poor lady, I feel just isn't going to cut it for rides longer than 15-20 miles as my tush and other parts just aren't happy (even after a prof fitting and new Terry seat). I'm guessing I'm trying to hard to put myself into a road position on a bike thats not designed for it.

So totally new territory for me. I'm trying to pick out my first road bike. I've tried out a few and I think i've narrowed it down to 2, but i'm having a hard time deciding and I was wondering if you ladies had any advice. One thing I've noticed is that the bikes that aren't more "women specific" tend to make me stretch out too far also making me feel I'm not in as much control as I should be. I also have very tiny hands though I'm 5'5".

The two I'm looking at are the Specialized Dolce Elite (48cm, aluminumn)
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5934&JServSessionIdroot=4p4q8m9ctj.j27002

and the Bianchi Eros Donna (49cm, steel frame)

http://www.bianchiusa.com/eros_donna.html

Price is a concern unfortunately, but I want someting better than an entry level bike. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

melissam
06-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi Kyna, and welcome to non-lurker status!

Both bikes seem very nice. I think a WSD would suit you well -- it sounds like you have longer legs and a shorter torso. Plus you'll benefit from the shorter reach brake levers on the WSD models.

Since you're looking at doing longer rides, frame material will be a consideration. While I've never owned an aluminum road bike, it is my understanding that aluminum tends to ride rougher, and this may make a difference on longer rides. The Dolce is aluminum, but it does have a carbon fork, which should help. (BTW, the Bianchi also has a carbon fork, but on the steel frame.)

Have you test ridden the bikes you mentioned? After reading the specs, it looks like Bianchi is using some Campagnolo components, while Specialized is using Shimano. The main concern I have here is that some people really, really like Campy's Ergoshift setup, while some prefer Shimano's STI setup. Which of these setups work best given your small hands? Does one setup feel more intuitive to you?

Does one bike just feel "right" to you when you take it for a test spin? If you're wondering what kinds of things to do when test riding, check out Chain Reaction's website -- they have a page called "how to test a road bike." (http://www.chainreaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm)

You might also see if these bikes have been reviewed on roadbikereview.com. I always find it enlightening to see what "real" riders have to say about the bikes, particularly what they don't like about them.

Hope this helps! Happy shopping!!

-- Melissa

PS I'm assuming that you have a very good local bike shop who will fit you to your new road bike. If you don't have a local bike shop in mind, now is the time to shop for one of those as well.

PPS Sorry to hear about your elbow. Is it back to 100%?

yogabear
07-02-2004, 06:58 AM
Kyna,

I am 5'2 and have small hands and short torso with longer legs. I used to ride a Bianchi back in the day as my first road bike, but I discovered through a lot of research that it had too long of a top tube for me. I then tried an Orbea, which was very trick and light, but still, the top tube was too long.

So, I then, tried a Guru (they are a tri company but do make road bikes) road bike and it's helped immensely. I have only ridden it a month, but the shorter top tube has really helped. Of course, you might not need such a small bike (I got a 47cm), but I am just mentioning the company as an option. It is aluminum with a carbon-fiber front and rear, but I don't feel beat up at all. It's a really nicely built frame (I am not used to so much "bling bling").

I finally noticed that I really needed a bike with 650cc wheels to have the geometry be small enough for me, but this may not be a factor for you being 5'5. I am bummed though because I have 2003 Shimano Dura Ace before they changed the shifters in 2004 to be more ergonomic for smaller hands. (I am going to get some Ultegra shifters which are supposedly more ergonomic). Make sure to test out the shifters to make sure you can reach them in the drops.

If I hadn't purchased a Guru, I think I would have went with a custom Serotta or a custom Luna. That's just my 2 cents and opinion. It's nice to have options though to look at when you are trying to make this type of decision I think.

Happy Ridin',

Lisa :)

Barb
07-06-2004, 07:41 AM
I got the eros donna this year. I like the fact that I could still stay in 700 wheels. I have a very short torso and longer legs (but I'm only 5'4). My lbs switched out the stem for a longer one and I needed wider handle bars. Make sure your lbs is willing to do some swapping in order to get the fit your eally need. Compy shifters take a little getting used to, but I love them now. I have very small hands but manage shifting well anyway.

Good luck.

When I rode both that you mentioned, I liked them equally well. I finally went with color!!!! I love my kandy mango.

Kyna
07-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks ladies! You suggestions were all helpful.

I wound up going with neither bike! :D

I went home and visited the family, and while there decided to go visit some bike shops just for fun. Wound up falling in love with the bike (rode it around the area for over 30 min), and the bike owners were just too sweet, knocked it down to a price I could afford and even shipped it to TX for me.

I wound up getting an older 2003 Specialized Allez Dolce. This is actually the higher end of the Elite I was considering, for the same cost and in a frame size better suited to me. (Went with the 51" over the 48")

The only bad news, is that I haven't been able to ride it yet. When i went back to the doctor to check my elbow, new xrays showed a fracture in my wrist that wasn't healed. In a cast now for 1-2+ months! :eek: :eek:

I can't wait though!

Here is a pic of it :D (Was still working on reassembling it at the time)

http://uo.netc.com/~kyna/RLpics/Specialized-dolce.jpg

Trek420
07-11-2004, 06:49 PM
ooooh she's a pretty bike, is that an Ultegra group I see?

wawaski
09-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Hey how do you like those wheels? Make an appreciable difference? Wind affect them much?
Thanks!

spazzdog
09-29-2004, 05:10 AM
Woooooo-hooo! Looks my Epesi has a cousin!

http://www.spazzdog.com/images/allez_comp_as.jpg

2003 Allez Comp 18 (Ultegra)

We have the beginnings of a herd!

Kyna
02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Ooooh sorry for being gone so long. Been busy riding!!! Here's to hoping 2006 is a great year!!

Yes thats an ultegra group. I LOVE this bike to death. Wheels are fine. Never had issues, but I did replace the tires after 500 miles for some kevlar coated ones. Kept getting flats and bad little tears in the tire from unclean roads. Just broke 900 miles on the odometer last night. Took almost a whole year off from riding for no real good reason, (work, stress etc getting in the way of the real stuff).

I always have this fear of rushing around in Houston traffic that someone is going to rear end me. I don't think I could ever find a replacement. :)

Love your Epesi, mine is far more grey, but yours is very pretty too!

Going to take this baby on my first MS-150 from Houston to Austin in April. I'm like scared out of my mind yet excited to no end at the same time :) Only other big group ride I did was the Ride for the Roses in 2004. Had a blast but knocked over a pesty photographer that was in the cute area at the start. LOL soooo embarrassing!