PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

kasdas
02-10-2007, 03:22 AM
Not sure if this has happen to anyone before.
I have to go for major surgery,on my ovary.
Ill be down 4 weeks anyways and 6 before ill be back to work.
Is it hard coming back to training form from this?
I have a great Im endurance and hoping it will carry me through this.
Ironman Florida training starts April 1st.
Wish this wasnt me .But it is.
Thanks,
Kas

SouthernBelle
02-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Sorry about the surgery. A lot will depend on how invasive it is. With the 4-6 week estimate you've given, it sounds like an incision rather than the type where they insert the camera and scope??

Bikingmomof3
02-10-2007, 08:13 AM
I am sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. I have known a few women who have had similar surgeries and each one has had a different recovery time.

Wishing you all the best.

han-grrl
02-10-2007, 08:19 AM
I had a ruptured ulcer new years eve, and it is supposed to be 2 months until i can START back at training again.

I have been spinning on the bike now for about 3 weeks. i am only up to 20 minutes, but i am starting to feel like i can push some heavier gears.

the best thing is to listen to your body and DO NOT start back up to soon. listen to your doctor!!

if you were pretty fit before, you should see fast improvement as you come back, but you will have lost a little bit in 6 weeks.

Smile!

Han

luv'nAustin
02-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi Kasdas,

Last year, on this very date, I had an hysterectomy and my recovery time was similar to the one you are expecting after your surgery. The hardest part was enduring the boredom that I experienced while waiting to get back in the gym and on my bike!

Start walking as soon as you get permission, but resist the urge to power walk and don't overdo. Also, don't be surprised at how easily you tire.

I remember that I was surprised at how difficult "real" workouts were when I did get permission to resume all activities. I thought that the walking would have prepared me better, but I tired very quickly.

Another word of caution...once I got back some of my energy, I jumped into the old routine way to fast as my body was no longer used to the intensity or volume and I got a terrible case of plantar fascitis that nearly prevented me from participating in a June triathlon. So go slowly and be good to your body, but know that you will get back to your previous level of fitness and all will be fine.

Good luck!

Grog
02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I had a minor ovarian surgery a few years ago and it kept me on the couch for a little while. I started my activities a bit too quickly, was overly enthusiastic, and was violently thrown back on the couch with a lot more pain and fatigue than I had to begin with. Be gentle on yourself...

The only good thing was that I lost about 10 pounds (before, not after the surgery). But if you stay on the couch longer, be careful not to eat anything just because you're bored...

Good luck!

teigyr
02-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Kasdas,

Hi there. I'm new but figured I have a bit of experience with this!

I've had two major ovarian surgeries. The second one, in 1999, included a hysterectomy. I was told I'd be off work for 6 weeks and that I'd have to limit my exercise for a while. I pushed myself beforehand so I'd get into the best shape I could!

While still in the hospital, I started walking laps. When I got home, I started going for walks immediately. After two weeks, I was on my bike and after 4 weeks I did a 20 mile ride I had signed up for. Less than a year after the surgery, I did the Calif Aids Ride which was 580 miles.

You will probably have to be careful lifting. I could ride my bike but not get it on or off the rack on my car! I also got winded really easily. Your body isn't only healing but you also have traces of anesthetic in your system. Walking up a slight hill winded me and I'd have to stop! After the 20 mile bike ride I had to lean over my handlebars to get my breath. My doctor initially got upset with me but when I stopped exercising, I couldn't sleep. He finally told me to do what I want but be careful.

I don't know if this helps at all. I am the type that if I'm told I can't do something, I want to do it all the more. I know the surgery will take a lot out of you (probably, it did to me) but it will come back. Be happy with small steps and make goals for yourself. Realize, also, that it'll be a while before you're back to where you were before.

Sometimes you just have to make the most of things though DANG life can be inconvenient! Sorry about your impending surgery ---

kasdas
03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for responding.
Its been four weeks since surgery. I got release to get back into the swing of things. I miss my bike..
I swam today for 40 minutes. Was going to walk/run but thought against it. Felt a little ouchy. But walking has been a godsend. I am a little afraid of over doing it.
Thanks alot for all the help. I ended up with a huge insision I had a large grapefuit cyst on my ovary. Yuck... Lost 15 pounds.
Now ill be faster on the bike..
Taking it slow.
Thanks Kas

Grog
03-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm glad they took that su**er off your ovary and that you're feeling better.

Take it easy but yes! do get out there if you can. It's the spring after all. :)

maillotpois
03-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Sorry I missed this when you first posted. I'm just coming back from 6 months off the bike due to a medical issue. While I tried to do power walking for a bit, I ended up having some scary symptoms so it ended up truly being about 4 months with no exercise whatsoever. I was also pretty fit before I was taken out of commission and had great endurance like it sounds like you do. I have been back on the bike for about 2 1/2 months now, and I feel great. The first couple of weeks were the hardest.

My doctor instructed me to keep my HR below 160 for the first 6 - 8 weeks, which is pretty low as my max is 190 and my LT is about 180. But that was a really good bit of advice as it allowed my body to build a base and get in sync. I found the first few rides it was very tough to keep my HR down. Now I am back to normal. You'll get there quickly.

Good luck. And congrats on the 15 lb weight loss! :D At least it all turned out well.

kasdas
04-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi Gals,
Everything sems to be coming back. How long before the shortness of breath goes away?
Biking and running my heartrate is getting there. Starting to beable to hold it in aerobic zone. Swimming Ill try again this week. That seem to bother me the most. Oh well!
Its good to be back. Just getting the hormones incheck! I may have to put a fan on my helment.:p
Happy Training,
KAren