PDA

View Full Version : Cycling the Oregon coast?

Grog
02-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi wonderful women of TE from the PNW!

My sweet fiancé and me are thinking of spending our honeymoon (end of August) on the Oregon coast, and cycling would be a big part of it.

We don't have touring bikes yet and won't get them before the wedding, so self-supported touring is out. However we're going to get a bike rack for the car so hopping from town to town and spending a day or two on the roads around it.

From the pictures I've seen, it's a gorgeous area.

How does this sound? Any suggestions of towns? Books? Web sites?

Oh, and, by the way, we LOVE hills so if you have any suggestions regarding that, we'll also appreciate!

Thank you!!

DeniseGoldberg
02-09-2007, 09:50 AM
That's a beautiful place to ride, and it was part of my journey on one of my early self-supported tours. While it's not as detailed as my more current journals, you might find some information in the journal from my 1999 tour in the Pacific Northwest (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/denise1999nw).

I'd recommend ordering a copy of the Oregon Coast Bike Map. Info at http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEPED/maps.shtml.

--- Denise

mimitabby
02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Well,
Grog, I can tell you right now, you won't miss out on hills. The western coastline of north america, particularly in Oregon is nothing like the worn thin eastern coastline. It's ALL hills. Good towns, Tillamuck, Cannon Beach, Seaside.
lots of other good towns that you will pass on the way. Lots of incredible vistas, and great biking.
Just don't get your hopes up about swimming in the ocean too much; it's usually too cold to really enjoy immersing yourself in (although in August you might)

jobob
02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Pick up a copy of Bicycling The Pacific Coast by Spring & Kirkendall

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Pacific-Coast-Complete-Canada/dp/0898869544/sr=1-1/qid=1171047046/ref=sr_1_1/102-7897773-7496969?ie=UTF8&s=books

Kitsune06
02-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Ummm Tillamook?

I'm not sure where you'll be, but Garibaldi and Rockaway Beach are sweet little towns.

LOTS of hills. And wind. But beauty like few other places in the world. You won't regret it. I suspect a lot of the campsites will have bike-only sites. The one we stayed at (near Garibaldi) had about six.

cnichole
05-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Manzanita is a cute little town. Hug point is a cool beach just north of it. There is a great campground on the beach at Oswald West State Park that I have stayed at many times. Astoria is a fun town as well. It is on a hill and has some great views of the ocean. These areas are on the northern section of the coast, north of Tillamook. Avoid the areas around Lincoln City and Newport if you can. They are pretty clogged with people in motor homes. Have fun! :)

bcipam
05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Ummm Tillamook?

Tillamook is a must. It's a beautiful area plus there is the Tillamook factory - best cheese and ice cream around. Also plan on spending some time around Cannon Beach.

Ever think about doing some supported tours? Look into http://www.oregonbicycleride.org.

Grog
05-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks you all for the info and links!

Unfortunately the Oregon coast plan has been cancelled because we also want to go watch Ironman Canada in the Okanagan in the same week, and it would have been too much transportation.

We'll be heading out to Tofino for a four-day "minimoon" :D and then to cheer for Wahine and for a close friend of my sweet partner and soon-to-be-husband (who also happens to be the best man at the wedding).

LBTC
05-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Well, Grog, what about some riding here in the Okanagan before and after watching the race? Do you have only road bikes? Or do you have mtbikes too? Kelownagirl is very close to the Penticton race, and Pika and I are not far up the road from there....(Vernon)...if the timing is right, our spare room will probably be available.....

So many options!

Hugs & butterflies,
~T~

Grog
05-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, Grog, what about some riding here in the Okanagan before and after watching the race? Do you have only road bikes? Or do you have mtbikes too? Kelownagirl is very close to the Penticton race, and Pika and I are not far up the road from there....(Vernon)...if the timing is right, our spare room will probably be available.....

Thanks Teresa!

We'll just have two days in the Okanagan (we're staying at some B&B in Summerside) since we need to go back home, finish our move from appartment 1 to appartment 2, and get ready for a freakish September. We'll be road cycling on the day of the Ironman and the day before or after too. (No mountain bikes.) I hope we can all meet in Penticton to cheer for Wahine tho'!