PDA

View Full Version : Bike Carrier - Rear Mount v's Roof Mount

mel1976
02-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Okay, I ride enough now and often drive to my squad rides (about 40 mins from home) that I've decided instead of putting my bike in the back of the car, it would be easier if I got a rear mount or roof mount bike rack.

What are the pros and cons for each?

If I get a rear mount, I'd also need to get a tow ball fitted to my car (its a Nissan Pulsar Hatch - 5dr). I don't know what equivalent car that equates to in the US.

If I buy roof mount, then I need to buy roof rack and the applicable attachment.

I've heard that roof mount is better than rear mount because the bike moves around less and is less likely to get scratched by passers by if its sitting on the rear of your car. Given that I live in Brisbane, Qld, Australia I don't need to worry about my bike getting wet too much either as we are in a drought at the moment.

I'm not too concerned about cost because I think getting a tow ball and bike carrier v's getting roof racks and bike carrier would probably be very similar cost, what I'm really after is what is the best option.

Oh, I'm also fairly short at 5 foot 4 and don't have a great deal of upper body strength (though I am working on this), so if anyone has any comments on how easy or difficult it is to mount and dismount your bike on a rack that sits atop your car, I'd be interested to hear your comments.

Mel

Thorn
02-06-2007, 04:04 AM
I'll be curious to see the responses to this one. I know there has been lots of discussions on best car for bikes, but racks....

I use a rear mount because of gas mileage. Carrying bikes on your car will bring your gas mileage down, but less if you carry the bikes behind you. For my car, I drop about 10-15 mpg with the bikes on the rear of the car. I drive a Prius and it doesn't like its slipstream disturbed--most cars don't get that upset with bikes behind them. Owners of my car type talk of 20+ mpg drops with a roof rack.

A previous car had a roof rack. We never removed the roof rack (too putzy for us), but I take the rear rack on/off all the time . Interestingly, I've never lost a bike off the rear rack, but I did lose a bike off top rack. Too many miles on a bumpy dirt road loosened the tie downs.

I prefer the rear rack--I can get the bikes on and off without a problem (no upper body strength). But, I dream someday of a high mileage vehicle where I can keep the cars inside.

mimitabby
02-06-2007, 07:22 AM
we have roof mounts for our bikes on DH's car. I am the same size as you
and am able to life my bike up there and take it down. I can't do the tandem it's too heavy. I would prefer a rear rack, although I watched as two women backed into each other and crunched their bikes/racks in a park near her.
On the other hand, too many of my friends have driven into parking garages and other low places and injured seriously expensive bikes on top of the car.
It is a hassle to put my bike into my car, but once it's in (if i don't snag cables and lose bar ends) it's safe and dry.

DrBadger
02-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Hey-
I went through this same decision process about a year ago. I ended up getting a roof rack for a couple of reasons. First, with either a trunk or hitch rack you remove access to the trunk or hatchback. I was going to be driving across country, so didn't really like this option. Also, I was too going to need to get a hitch put on before I got a hitch rack, and then I realized that when I eventually get a new car the hitch would go with it (without really adding any value) and I would be out the $$, on the other hand with a roof rack, that would come with me and generally all I would need to buy was a new "fit kit" (the customized pads for what ever car you have), and these were a lot less expensive. I also liked the option of using the roof rack for other things as well... getting ski carriers, a rooftop box etc.

I drive a Mazda Protoge, and am shorter than you (5'3") and have no problem getting by bike up and down from the rack. I keep a foot stool in my car to help with getting it up, really just so I can see and reach high enough to get it seated correctly. I can get it down without any problem.

As stated earlier, it does decrease your gas milage a bit. Just the rack isn't too bad, but when I have by bike on top it drops a bit. I usually get ~ 30 mpg or a bit more, but with the bike on top it drops into the mid 20s. So, still not that bad.

Finally, as for the stability, I drove mine from California to Texas and back this summer along major highways and smaller roads, high speeds (80 mph), and curvy roads, with no problems. For reference I have a Thule rack and their higher end fork mount bike rack.

One last thing to consider is how you wash your car. Once I finally got the rack on the top I swore it was never coming off... it took 4 hours with a lot of cursing to get it on there right :rolleyes: With the rack on the roof I can't take my car to a regular car wash with brushes and such. I do still take it to tuchless or all hand wash places and it is fine. Just something to think about as well.

As for not hurting your bikes by driving into garages and parking structures. When I first got the rack and was driving across country I put a little label on my steering wheel that read bike with an arrow pointing up so i wouldn't forget. Now when I go riding I put my garage door opener in an old bike glove so that I can't open the garage door without realizing there is a bike on the roof, so I should stop first :-)

Good luck, and sorry about the novel :-)

DebW
02-06-2007, 11:02 AM
One caution on roof racks. If you are using something like a Thule rack on a car with an aero roof and no built-in roof hardware, you can get water leaks where the rack foot pads extend into the door gaskets. Why, oh why, did rain gutters on cars go out of fashion?

wannaduacentury
02-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I debated last fall over this same issue. I chose the rear rack so I can call haul 4 bikes for the whole family(thule) . I don't have strong arms so the idea of hoisting my bike on the roof, well I was worried I'd lose my grip and the bike crash and damage it(and I'm tall enough too) so a rear rack for me. I have another car that did have a roof system(we saw where it used to be) and I could've gotten one for it, but decided not to. The seats fold down nicely in that car, It'll fit the whole bike in there anyhow.

I had to buy a hitch too btw

DrBadger
02-06-2007, 12:23 PM
One caution on roof racks. If you are using something like a Thule rack on a car with an aero roof and no built-in roof hardware, you can get water leaks where the rack foot pads extend into the door gaskets. Why, oh why, did rain gutters on cars go out of fashion?

Hmmm.... I have never had a problem with water leaking in my car once the roof rack was on (the clamps do extend into the door gaskets). it has been in a lot of rain storms, been through the car wash many times, no leaking. I think that the biggest thing is going to be making sure that everything is lined up correctly (follow the instructions to a T for placement on the roof) and making sure that the feet are down nice and tight (but not too tight, or you can dent your roof :eek: ).

Cari
02-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Don't bikes get all scratched up if you put two or more of them on a rear rack?

I'd also be afraid of getting my bikes banged up if someone rear-ended me, or if I backed into a parking space and there was an obstacle nearby that I couldn't see, like a ledge or something. :eek:

However, the gas mileage issue *is* a good point. I figured that gas mileage could be affected, but I didn't realize that I would make *that* much of a difference.

~Cari

equus123
02-20-2007, 10:50 AM
to the gas mileage point - do you guys really drive that much with a bike or two on your roof for that to matter??

there are many car washes that allow roof racks. just need to read all the signs while you're waiting in line. i just actually went through one yesterday for the first time with my Thule roof rack. no signs that said "NO ROOF RACKS", nobody told me no, and my car is sparkling clean again.

i just bought a roof rack a few weeks ago for my new Mazda 3 hatchback. i used to have a wrangler and got a spare tire carrier. i hated wrapping that stupid blue strap around the bike a million times for it to stay without moving. on...off. ride. on...off. annoying to me.

so since my girlfriend just got a bike and enjoys coming to my teammate's house to ride - i was too uneasy to keep piling 2 road bikes, 2 front wheels, and 2 trainers into my car all piled ontop of one another (of course with a blanket and towel between). i was fed up with 10:00 to pack & unpack going as well as coming.

so next best thing? roof rack! now the bikes go on the roof and the entire inside of the car is freed up. much better. :)

Thorn
02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
to the gas mileage point - do you guys really drive that much with a bike or two on your roof for that to matter??

Well, let's see, for my case, given the bikes on the back of the car
+ Without the bikes on the back of the car, I can get 60mpg (yes, I really do)
+ With the bikes on the back of the car, I get around 45mpg
+ If the bikes are on the back of the car, we're probably driving at least 50 miles to the ride, so, use 100 miles/trip as a fair estimate
+ Over the course of the summer we'll probably do that at least once a weekend, sometimes twice, and sometimes for much longer, so use 20 times a season. That is low, but better low than high.
+ My bad math says that is a little over 10 gallons a season with the bikes on the back. People who drive my car with roof racks report 30mpg or 30 gallons a season.

Is that alot? 25-75 bucks in the US, much more elsewhere. I guess it all depends on your priorities. For me, that bothers me; for others it is no big deal. Tradeoffs.

Thistle
02-20-2007, 12:27 PM
cos i didnt think i'd be able to get them up on the roof. we got a thule... it's great cos with the ones where they hang down i always had to take my front wheel off cos it was too low to the ground.

This one locks onto your tow-ball so you can lock your bike to the rack - which we've done.

Thule EuroWay 945/947
http://www.thule.com.au/products.php (click on towbar mounted)

You can get them for either 2 or 3 bikes, and they fold away as well.

mimitabby
02-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, let's see, for my case, given the bikes on the back of the car
+ Without the bikes on the back of the car, I can get 60mpg (yes, I really do)
+ With the bikes on the back of the car, I get around 45mpg
+ If the bikes are on the back of the car, we're probably driving at least 50 miles to the ride, so, use 100 miles/trip as a fair estimate
+ Over the course of the summer we'll probably do that at least once a weekend, sometimes twice, and sometimes for much longer, so use 20 times a season. That is low, but better low than high.
+ My bad math says that is a little over 10 gallons a season with the bikes on the back. People who drive my car with roof racks report 30mpg or 30 gallons a season.

Is that alot? 25-75 bucks in the US, much more elsewhere. I guess it all depends on your priorities. For me, that bothers me; for others it is no big deal. Tradeoffs.

Thorn;
so what are you driving? Just curious.

and a sidepiece to all this: so my DH just got a new, very expensive bike.
We put it on the rear rack on my car because the new bike's fenders extend so low you can't put the thing on the roof rack.
After we put the bikes (mine too) into the rack, I had to get out of the parking space. I was terrified ; I had to back up! So DH got out of the car
and directed me; driving by feel just doesn't work with an expensive bike dangling on the back!!!

Thorn
02-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Thorn;
so what are you driving? Just curious.

I drive a Prius. A large share of its gas mileage comes from its aerodynamics. So, throwing a bike rack on it, even on its rear end, disturbs its slipstream. I used to blame the bad mileage with the rack on my DH not knowing how to drive the Prius, but, alas, I also got the low mileage with the rack so he's off the hook.

Of course, the severe coldsnap we had a few weeks back also whacked the mileage. When it was hovering around 0F, the electric motor rarely kicked in (it felt so odd sitting a a stop light and having the engine run!). During that week, I was barely eek-ing out 40mpg (winter normal mileage is mid-50's; I routinely hit 60 for the tank in summer). Still, 40mpg with minimal electric boost for a car that size is pretty good. I suspect that is attributed to its aerodynamics more than anything else.

But, I'm a software engineer and only dabble in things mechanical--enough to stick my foot in my mouth.

Mags...
02-20-2007, 10:37 PM
I live in Aust. and I'm 5'2". I didn't like the idea of struggling with my bike to get it on top of the car, plus like many Australian homes, mine has a carport and I felt sure I'd get home from a ride and forget I've got the bike on top and crash into the ceiling. So I bought a Thule EuroWay, same as Thisle

Thule EuroWay 945/947
http://www.thule.com.au/products.php (click on towbar mounted)

It's one of the best accessories I've bought. I can load it up and put my bike on myself with no problems. It's got the electrical fittings right so when it's loaded on the back of the car, your braking/indicators are 100% visible. Big plus is that when it's loaded up and you need to access your hatch, you can tilt the whole contraption with one lever and you can open your hatch. I bought some locking nobs as well which replace the clamp nobs for the top tube. This way, when my bike is on the rack and locked, no-one can remove it, or any bike behind it. My husband is very careful about his treasured carbon frame bike and he reckons the clamping of the top tube is gentle and that the bike stays firmly secure because the weight of the bike is supported by the base and held safely by the wheel straps. Unlike some racks where the bike is clamped by the top tube and that clamp takes the weight and that can damage a carbon frame.

mimitabby
02-21-2007, 06:27 AM
I drive a Prius. A large share of its gas mileage comes from its aerodynamics. So, throwing a bike rack on it, even on its rear end, disturbs its slipstream. I used to blame the bad mileage with the rack on my DH not knowing how to drive the Prius, but, alas, I also got the low mileage with the rack so he's off the hook.

But, I'm a software engineer and only dabble in things mechanical--enough to stick my foot in my mouth.

Ah, the same thing happened with my old Geo Metro! We put a bike rack ON THE BACK and it went from 40mpg to about 25mpg!

farrellcollie
02-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I use a roof rack and I carry a small ladder to get bike on and off of my station wagon (I am about 5'2) - I used to have a rear mount - but it took longer to attach bikes and I was more worried about backing into something.

uforgot
03-09-2007, 02:25 AM
I drive a dodge neon. I had a hitch put on it (yeah, the guys at the shop were laughing at that one!) and put a Thule hitch rack on it. I have full access to the trunk with it. My bikes don't scratch as you lash them to the post and the bottom in separate places, and I put one of those swimming tubes in between. I can also lock the hitch to my car and the rack locks around the top tube of my bikes. I love it and felt I made the right decision. I can only carry two, though, I would have to get a 2" receiver hitch for four, and they don't make them for Neons. Can you believe it! I live in the middle of big truck country and my students just love the fact that I have a hitch. Then again, last week we had "drive your tractor to school" day...

One other thing that I had to consider...I read that you have to be careful with roof racks because sometimes people drive into their garages and forget their bikes are up there. The minute I saw this, I knew I would never own one as it would be just a matter of time.