PDA

View Full Version : heart monitors - purchase suggestions

bmccasland
02-04-2007, 07:26 AM
:confused:
So I survived two spin classes, but #2 was fustrating. My lungs were having a bad day I suppose. Will have to talk to my Doc.

Anyway - the instructor wanted us to be in a certain cardiac zone, but I found it impossible to take my pulse and ride at the same time. So I figured I might need to buy a heart monitor. Any suggestions on what to get? I'm not into tons of bells and whistles, and large print on the view screen would be helpful. I don't want my reading glasses to see the silly thing.:cool:

aicabsolut
02-04-2007, 07:34 AM
I've got a Polar F11. There are some that are slightly less fancy. I like that the chest unit has its own battery that's replaceable. And it's not supposed to get "crosstalk" with other monitors in the gym. Good for crowded spinning rooms.

uforgot
02-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I have the Polar F11 also. I love it. I like that I can connect to the Polar website and upload my info. (using sound and a microphone). It tells you the time in each zone, calories and you can input info also. I can use it when I bike, and now that I started running, I use it then, too! Only thing I hate is that huge plastic wristband...

You can go on websites such as Amazon and epinions and find user feedback. I never make a major purchase without checking out reviews on these sites. Hope this helps.

LBTC
02-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi, Beth

The first HRMs that DH and I had were basic like that. They didn't record anything, so we couldn't see how we did later, so we opted for ones with all the bells and whistles. We found that while out mountain biking the basic ones were difficult to read as we were out there riding and, well, I need all of my attention on keepinkg the bike on the trail! I can see these working fabulously in a spin class.

We still have them somewhere around that house and will try to find them if you'd like one of them. How quickly do you want to have one?

Cheers!
~T~

SouthernBelle
02-05-2007, 05:27 AM
I seldom wear my monitor/watch part on my wrist. When on the bike I strap it to the bars. At the gym it gets hung on what ever piece of equipment I'm using.

bmccasland
02-05-2007, 05:59 AM
LBTC - Kewl! :D Used works for me. I can procrastinate with the best of them, so if you find it in a week or so, let me know.

Bad JuJu
02-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Consumer Reports recommends the Polar A3, but I think that's a discontinued model. You could go to the Polar website and check out what they've got to replace the A3.

equus123
02-05-2007, 07:00 AM
So I figured I might need to buy a heart monitor. Any suggestions on what to get? I'm not into tons of bells and whistles, and large print on the view screen would be helpful. I don't want my reading glasses to see the silly thing.:cool:

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I use the Nike Imara HRM for $99. It works and does the job. Yes, now that I'm much deeper into training and racing and all that fancy stuff since I initially bought this HRM I would like to know more data on what I'm doing but this still tells me what I want to know:

What's my HR right now?
How long have I been riding/doing this interva/etc?
And if I want to be fancy - How many calories did I burn?

That's all I use it for at this point in time and it does the job for me.

LBTC
02-08-2007, 05:05 PM
LBTC - Kewl! :D Used works for me. I can procrastinate with the best of them, so if you find it in a week or so, let me know.

I found them! Please don't ask me to find the manuals, though, you should see our house!! :eek: You should be able to find the manul online.

The model is Acumen Basix ES, and we have two of them.

PM and we'll figure out the rest of this, okay?

Cheers!
~T~

bmccasland
02-14-2007, 05:59 AM
sent PM to LBTC
(gaccckkk, accronyms too early in the morning even for this government worker bee)

Stand by for results, I'm sure there'll be more questions.:D I woke up this morning dreaming of being in spinning class and looking down at the monitor (in my dream it was like an EKG) as it flat lined. But I'm not dead yet! A monitor that indicates bonking??

This is what happens when your alarm clock wakes you mid-dream. The world is confusing.:o

Bad JuJu
02-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey, Beth-Mc, I read about the storms/tornados in the NOLA area in this morning's paper, and thought about you. I guess you're OK, since you posted here. Any damage near you? Your family and friends all right?

bmccasland
02-15-2007, 05:01 AM
:eek:
I was awakened by the furry beasts (3 cats in bed, dog in the floor) at 3am to what we all thought was just a bad thunderstorm. No damage in my neighborhood.

However, my office is adjacent to the severe damage in the "Uptown" or "Carrollton Bend" (depends on the reports you might have read) area of New Orleans. Since I'm in a 3rd floor office on a building that sits on top of the river levee, I have a view of the neighborhood. Lots of roof damage, some homes have lost entire sides of the buildlings. Yesterday there was an army of folks helping clean debris, helping people clear their belongings into rental trucks. Utility crews fixing posts, clearing downed lines. And since the Army is actually in town, the neighborhood is being patrolled by the National Guard to prevent looting.

So, yes, I'm OK, but we all think "ENOUGH ALREADY!"

Meanwhile it's Carnival season, and I'm going to my favorite parade tonight - Muses - an all women Krewe (crew). Their signature "throw" are decorated shoes - glitter, feathers, fru-fru. :D

Bad JuJu
02-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Meanwhile it's Carnival season, and I'm going to my favorite parade tonight - Muses - an all women Krewe (crew). Their signature "throw" are decorated shoes - glitter, feathers, fru-fru. :D
Oooh, sounds like fun! And you ALL have some fun coming to you.