PDA

View Full Version : I'm too "Prissy", so I'm told

Bluetree
02-02-2007, 08:01 AM
I was hanging out with some friends last night at my Tri Club social and they had an intervention of sorts. I was duly informed that I was 'too prissy" and that something would be done about it.

"Too prissy?" I said, unbelieving. Don't they know how many snot rockets I launched on my last ride?!

Yes, too prissy. Apparently, my roadie cycling clothes match too well, my legs are too shaven, my bar tape is too clean and I lack the requisite number of scars on my knees, elbows, knuckles and ankles. I am also in want of stories where I have ridden into trees, fallen off logs and rolled down enbankments.

So now my "friends" have found me a small Specialized mountain bike frame and are in the process of building it up with all of their spare components. They say they are grooming me for a future Xterra.

I have no say in the matter. My voice is "too prissy" to be heard.

I will have to get dirty.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

bouncybouncy
02-02-2007, 08:41 AM
What wonderful friends you have!!! I am sure it is in your better interest and you may fight it...kicking and screaming...denying all your prissyness until you have completely overcome the withdraw & anger stages!!!

You may not see it yet, but trust me, follow your friends thru that dirty tunnel and the reward will be invigorating!!!!

...and as always rubber-side-down!

:D

Running Mommy
02-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Now THAT made me lol!!

I have been imortalized on video stating my disdain for all things mtn biking.

We were on a trip to moab (husband and all his friends) when I screamed at the camera as I was bombing down a hill "MOUNTAIN BIKING SUCKS"....

I shall never live that one down. :D

Every once in awhile I get the urge to "get dirty" but for the most part I prefer asphalt under my tires.
My husband and son on the other hand.... sigh... Dirty boys to the CORE!

caligurl
02-02-2007, 08:59 AM
GEEZ.... nothing wrong with being prissy.... and you can be a durty gurl and prissy, too! i hate tan lines... bruises... dirt... i have to match.... (and love pink mountain bike stuff!) oh... but sorry... i do NOT do snot rocket... EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

so you just continue your prissy ways..... it's OK!!!!!! http://www.smileycons.com/img/spring/127.gif

Kitsune06
02-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Rubber Side Down, FTW!

I'm a sissy when it comes to my mtb-ing. I've seen enough nasty injuries to know enough to be careful... Y'know, N-shaped collarbones and the like? I keep enough gauze etc in my bag on 'serious' trips (where I can foresee needing it...) just b/c I don't trust anything...

Still... "Prissy" to me, is "oh, I don't want to get my clothes dirty" or "*GASP!* I tore my windbreaker!" nothing you should be wearing to MTB should be that good. ;) Baggy cargos and bleeding forearms and calves ftw. Treehugging... (half crashing and grabbing a tree to stay up) ground-eating (mmmmm taste that dirt!) and RSU maneuvers (Rubber-Side-Up) are my forte... not that I want to... and nothin' like raspberry marks on your hips from sliding. yow. Snot rockets, bloody marks, sweat and tanlines... the 'fake tan' from dirt and dust clinging to sweat... These are a few of my favorite things... ;)

q, though,
I patched out on gravel a couple months ago on one knee, and though I debrided it as much as I could etc, and it healed fine, it looks like it's still got some black tattooing from the gravel debris... anyone know if that ever completely works its way out?

caligurl
02-02-2007, 09:12 AM
nothing you should be wearing to MTB should be that good. ;)

*gasp* but i only buy CUTE mountain biking clothes!!!!!!!

spokewench
02-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Ah, Bluetree - the mountain bike world is a wonderful place!

Here are some tips so that you can keep up your "prissiness" even while mountain biking!

Always wear short black socks - not white - oh they will get way too dirty!

Yes, you can wear lipstick at the beginning of the ride, just to make sure you don't lose your "prissiness".

And, of course, you can still match - just watch the light colors and white they don't do well off road.

Those friends of yours are going to have a hard time keeping you from being "prissy"

Kitsune06
02-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Black and Grey and earthy colors ftw. Oh, they can be cute, but bear in mind that you're going to eventually destroy them if you're riding right. Plow into a holly tree or raspberry bush or whatnot once and it's gone. Bleed on light pants or socks? Gone. Prissy little spd shoes do *not* do well when you've got to lift the ol' bike and carry it over a log bridge (that passes over water that you don't want to fall into...)

Cute clothes... heh. they're only as cute as the tough-as-nails chica wearing 'em.

caligurl
02-02-2007, 09:34 AM
OK.... i have to know.... what is FTW??????????????????

caligurl
02-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Cute clothes... heh. they're only as cute as the tough-as-nails chica wearing 'em.

http://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/149.gif

caligurl
02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Ah, Bluetree - the mountain bike world is a wonderful place!

Here are some tips so that you can keep up your "prissiness" even while mountain biking!

Always wear short black socks - not white - oh they will get way too dirty!

Yes, you can wear lipstick at the beginning of the ride, just to make sure you don't lose your "prissiness".

And, of course, you can still match - just watch the light colors and white they don't do well off road.

Those friends of yours are going to have a hard time keeping you from being "prissy"

OH!! i wear lipstick at the beginning of mtb or road rides! AND.... if i'm not wearing ear covers to keep them warm.... i wear little fake diamond stud earrings on the bike, too!!!!

and sometimes i actually paint my nails to match my outfit!

hmmmmmm i don't own white mtb shorts but i do have light light tan ones! and i have the cutest light pink socks!!!!!

(told you all i was a PRISS months and months ago!!!!!)

Kitsune06
02-02-2007, 09:42 AM
:D :D :D "For The Win"...
as in in the comparison of two different things, it would be "Heavy denim, for the win"...
a vocabulary-based throwback to my l337 gamer days... also "For teh win"... R0XX0r. ;)

hey now, I think the person makes the clothes. that's all. they have to. otherwise, judging by the way I'm generally dressed, I'm kind of a boyish d*ke, sporty and outdoorsy, and a pita to the core. Oh, but I do wear earrings... ...well, my 1/2" plugs... but I wear the hollow silicone ones cuz they won't hurt in a crash...

...oh, yes, Cali...
I see your point. ;) :eek: :o :p :D

uh... did you ever take into account that if you're wearing studs, and you hit hard on the side of your head, you might end up puncturing that soft tissue by the side of your neck? Just saying... I worry for everyone. Too much. ;)

I'm not sure if "months and months ago" is valid... ;) Betcha look cute tho. :D

caligurl
02-02-2007, 09:48 AM
:D :D :D "For The Win"...
as in in the comparison of two different things, it would be "Heavy denim, for the win"...
a vocabulary-based throwback to my l337 gamer days... also "For teh win"... R0XX0r. ;)

hey now, I think the person makes the clothes. that's all. they have to. otherwise, judging by the way I'm generally dressed, I'm kind of a boyish d*ke, sporty and outdoorsy, and a pita to the core.

...oh, yes, Cali...
I see your point. ;) :eek: :o :p

I'm not sure if "months and months ago" is valid... ;)

it's valid!!!! it IS!!!!!!! (and awwwwwwwwwww..... thanx *blush*)

ok.... thanx the the explaination on ftw!!! got it! (i would have NEVER figured that out on my own!!!)

(for the record.... i even wear cute workout clothes when i workout... at home.... in my garage... where 90% of the time the only ones to see me are the cats and dog!!!!! so i think i qualify as a priss!)

emily_in_nc
02-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I'm a prissy new mountain biker too! I don't particularly like getting dirty (me or my bike), and I hate mud! Perhaps this comes from years of riding on the road? I've fallen enough while mountain biking (and yes, gotten dirty and a bit bloody too) to realize it would not be wise to wear my pretty blue Shebeest shorts or my prettiest pale girly jerseys on single track. Black socks are a good idea I hadn't thought of. Lipstick - yes - just a little.

Fortunately, my mtb is older so a bit beat up, clear-coated aluminum and not nearly as prissy as its rider. If I'd bought a brand-new bike, I probably would have ended up with a prissy pale blue (or eek, even pink!) and been even prissier-than-thou. :D

Loved your post, Bluetree. Can't wait to hear how the mountain biking goes! You have great friends. :)

Emily

mimitabby
02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
so why DO you shave your legs? You couldn't possibly have much hair on them?!?!
(No, I don't either)

caligurl
02-02-2007, 10:22 AM
i don't understand????????????????

http://www.caligurl.com/wordpress/wp-images/smilies/endo.gif

Kitsune06
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
leg shaving? um... I do... just because. It's not that they're that furry otherwise, but silky legs etc etc feels good... and they're easier to bandage when you f*ck them up on the trails... :)

I don't get the lipstick thing. If you're getting your blood pressure/hr up, your lips should naturally pink up a good bit... why bother w/ lipstick?

chapstick works better... doesn't mark your camelbak or the back of your glove (snotragging...)
just at thought...

caligurl
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
i meant i didn't get why she said 'why DO you shave".... i thought all women shaved???????????????

i wear chapstick ON the ride.... i just start out with the lipstick at the beginning cuz it's gurlie!!!!!

mimitabby
02-02-2007, 10:36 AM
no, dear, some of us DO NOT shave, it is not necessary. The legs are smooth without the hair, if you don't have the hair to start with.

caligurl
02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
no, dear, some of us DO NOT shave, it is not necessary. The legs are smooth without the hair, if you don't have the hair to start with.

oh wow!!! that's cool.... and i'm JEALOUS! i HATE HATE HATE shaving!!!

Kitsune06
02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
I think maybe what she was getting at is that everything is a matter of everyone's opinion... it's all very subjective. one person's "prissy" is another's ... ... hmm. What *is* the opposite of prissy? None of the words I can think of would probably be favorable. :rolleyes:

Some people shave off all their body hair and call it good, some leave it all there and call it furry, and the rest of us find a happy medium (legs or knee-down depending, then pits and *coughmumble*) or waxing or whatever... I can generally get away with just knees-down shaving for the most part. My thighs are unfurry, and what grows is soft and blonde and inoffensive

Some of us are content with cargos w/ chamois, black socks, boots/hiking shoes, baggy dri-fit shirts, and some want to look as adorably feminine as we can.

I don't mind "prissy" unless I have to hear a fellow rider complain about getting dirty or muddy or chipping their nail polish/breaking a nail. :rolleyes: Style should never have to significantly interfere with your lifestyle or hobbies, imo. Just... don't expect to see me in an adorable pink jersey or whatnot. Yes, it might happen, but don't *expect* it.

mimitabby
02-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't mind "prissy" unless I have to hear a fellow rider complain about getting dirty or muddy or chipping their nail polish/breaking a nail. :rolleyes: Style should never have to significantly interfere with your lifestyle or hobbies, imo. Just... don't expect to see me in an adorable pink jersey or whatnot. Yes, it might happen, but don't *expect* it.

Yes, Kit that would make my eyes roll too. I find a bunch of makeup to be rather silly as well, if you're really planning on sweating that makeup is just going to run down your face..

and of course not, i'd NEVER expect to see YOU in Pink unless you HAD to do it because of a bet or a dare.

caligurl
02-02-2007, 10:51 AM
who said makeup?????????? the only thing mentioned in this thread was lipstick! and it's gone the first part of the ride only to be replaced by chapstick!

Kitsune06
02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
...and of course not, i'd NEVER expect to see YOU in Pink unless you HAD to do it because of a bet or a dare.

Thanks. Some of my sisters are convinced I have this deep-seated fetish for pink and pink accessories.

oh, if only I could link right *here* to Aerosmith's "Pink". :rolleyes: ;) :D :p :o :eek:

mimitabby
02-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks. Some of my sisters are convinced I have this deep-seated fetish for pink and pink accessories.

oh, if only I could link right *here* to Aerosmith's "Pink". :rolleyes: ;) :D :p :o :eek:

I think they're pulling your leg. you are definitely not in the "pink" category at least in my mind.

but on the other hand, Bluetree, I can see doing pink for fun.

Kitsune06
02-02-2007, 11:10 AM
;) You know it. :D
And for shock value. You know how I value shock. ;)

mimitabby
02-02-2007, 11:18 AM
;) You know it. :D
And for shock value. You know how I value shock. ;)

yes, ma'am I do.

SouthernBelle
02-02-2007, 11:25 AM
The only real contribution I have here is that Cali can't talk about snotrockets while living in socal. If it were prohibited, I couldn't ride in winter because I would have to stop every 5 feet to blow my nose. I am a prodigious mucous factory.

I shave. But Lise doesn't. Discussed that recently.

emily_in_nc
02-02-2007, 11:30 AM
i wear chapstick ON the ride.... i just start out with the lipstick at the beginning cuz it's gurlie!!!!!

I normally mountain bike after work with a friend, so I have lipstick on from work -- though usually not much left at the end of the day. I use lipbalm only during a ride, of course! I'm one of the unlucky souls who has very pale lips (and I've read that only gets worse as we age), so if I didn't wear a hint of color, my lips would just disappear!

Hey, maybe we should start a poll here -- "Are you girly or non-girly" -- we obviously have a decent-sized contingent in each camp!

Emily

mtbdarby
02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
I always shave my legs before I go mtb. I can pretty much guarantee bruising will occur, but just in case I, uh, earn some rash, it's easier to clean and heal with no hair around it (for bandage purposes).

To me it's not a good ride unless I get a little dirty, but I always start with some lip gloss or lip stick on.

mimitabby
02-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I always shave my legs before I go mtb. I can pretty much guarantee bruising will occur, but just in case I, uh, earn some rash, it's easier to clean and heal with no hair around it (for bandage purposes).

To me it's not a good ride unless I get a little dirty, but I always start with some lip gloss or lip stick on.

boy, Dar, YOU sound HAIRY!

:D :D :D

Bluetree
02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Boy, I leave for a few hours to work and this area has turned into a hairy, pink chapstick! :p

For the record, I never considered myself "prissy." Yeah, I tend to be a fashionista at times but in my work I have to deal with toxic art materials, boiling rabbit skin glue, power drills and sometimes, wading through horse manure.

In contrast, my friends include an ultramarathoner, an elite-level age grouper in both road/track tri and a former multi-day adventure racer. To them, anyone who refuses to pee on the run/bike or stops for minor things like, say, broken bones is considered on the wimpy side.

Why in the world they decided to adopt me as their pet project is beyond me, but there seems to be no going back. I feel like I'm in that scene from the movie "Freaks" when the carnival side show freaks stomp around and chant to the initiate: "We accept her, we accept her! One of us, one of us!" :rolleyes:
{{{{{{{Looking around for the Kool-Aid}}}}}}}

I will get my revenge, though. By next season, they will all have freshly-pressed kits matching their bikes (with coordinating shoe covers), and maybe a little pink lipstick, too! :D

mimitabby
02-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Blue
I do not doubt your ability to extract revenge on your buddies, but you'll have fun mtbing too!

Wahine
02-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Blue, I loved your post. It made me ROTFLMAO. Tho, I have to say that I think I agree with your friends. You might be a little "prissy". I'm glad they're getting you a MTB.

This reminds me of a story...

Oh maybe I should start another thread, as to avoid hijacking.

Aggie_Ama
02-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I am a priss by mountain biking standards. I just got my bike and already asked DH if I can put grips on it in a cuter color. I also want a Primal Wear Dirt Princess jersey. It is pink of course. :p

crazycanuck
02-02-2007, 08:40 PM
OMG..Pink all around..:eek: I can't stand pink bike/non bike stuff Pink?:eek:

I shave my legs just because..

Bluetree-happy to hear you've been introduced to people who do dirt :) Dirt is wonderful..

A little short story for you...When I purchased my Scott I refused to even look at the Scott Contessa FX 25 because it was pink :mad:

PINK :eek: :mad:

c

LBTC
02-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Non-girly here. No doubt. But, with the right encouragement and the right incentive I clean up pretty nice and am occasionally a knock-out, if DH is to believed.

I'm glad you're going to try MTB, blue, I think you'll love it!

Now, pink...well, it is definitely not my thing, except in the most ironic moments. I do have the dirt princess sport bra - found it on sale at TE and love it! heehee. Not that anyone ever sees it - I don't have the abs to wear it on the outside! hahaha

My mountain bikes are black.

And the socks I ride in are all dark, black, grey, brown, dark blue, etc. I hate dirty white socks!!

And thanks for the definition of FTW....I could not put that one together!

Hugs and butteflies,
~T~

DirtDiva
02-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm with krayzee - pink is evil. :eek:

BoPeep
02-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I can naswer that one....nop. I still have gravel in my elbow from a road crash that saw me over the handlebars and airborne into the gravel at the side of the road......25 years ago.

q, though,
I patched out on gravel a couple months ago on one knee, and though I debrided it as much as I could etc, and it healed fine, it looks like it's still got some black tattooing from the gravel debris... anyone know if that ever completely works its way out?[/QUOTE]

Bluetree
02-03-2007, 04:28 PM
...I AM A MAN!!!

I went to pick up my race packet/bib number for tomorrow's 10k race and they couldn't find my packet at first. Turns out someone input my information into the Male category. burp They may not be able to change it before race time scratching myself and if not, to look for my time under Male 35-39. mmm beer Move over, Mr. Silver, there's a new Y Chromosome in town!

-- Boytree, formerly Bluetree

mimitabby
02-03-2007, 04:55 PM
...I AM A MAN!!!

I went to pick up my race packet/bib number for tomorrow's 10k race and they couldn't find my packet at first. Turns out someone input my information into the Male category. burp They may not be able to change it before race time scratching myself and if not, to look for my time under Male 35-39. mmm beer Move over, Mr. Silver, there's a new Y Chromosome in town!

Oh, but Blue, I mean Boy, there ARE prissy men!
(not that if you were you would be!)

KnottedYet
02-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Well, you know what they say, "Femme in the streets, butch in the sheets."

Be sure to let us know how your 10k goes, Boytree! :D

Grog
02-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I will get my revenge, though. By next season, they will all have freshly-pressed kits matching their bikes (with coordinating shoe covers), and maybe a little pink lipstick, too! :D

Take them in for a pedicure!!!!! :eek: The ultramathoner might make the esthetician faint...

Aggie_Ama
02-04-2007, 04:20 AM
OMG..Pink all around..:eek: I can't stand pink bike/non bike stuff Pink?:eek:

I shave my legs just because..

Bluetree-happy to hear you've been introduced to people who do dirt :) Dirt is wonderful..

A little short story for you...When I purchased my Scott I refused to even look at the Scott Contessa FX 25 because it was pink :mad:

PINK :eek: :mad:

c

C- You will be happy to hear my new mountain bike will have yellow candy pedals and the grips below from Salsa. No pink after all. :)

East Hill
02-04-2007, 12:38 PM
...I AM A MAN!!!

This is funnier than the numbskull over at BF who mistakenly assumed that I must be describing my physical attributes in my avatar signature (same as here, Lanky Lass).

:D

East Hill

fatbottomedgurl
02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I am a TOMBOY through and through and generally dress ghetto. Except for my awesome sugoi shorts. If I buy a shirt it's at Target or the Goodwill.

I don't do dresses. I never played with dolls. I have six older brothers which explains a lot.

But... for all the naysayers, I now have a pink bike. Nyah Nyah Nyah.

emily_in_nc
02-05-2007, 09:53 AM

Welcome to the prissy side! :D :D :D

Emily

Bluetree
02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
... I AM a priss.

One of my buddies (who's also my acting coach) just came back from a 10-hour trail run... 50 miles, 80° heat and 11,000+ feet of climbing. He described running and not seeing another competitor for 5 hours... and being disappointed for finishing "only" in 14th place. Only 38 runners finished.

I am a priss. damn.

RoadRaven
02-05-2007, 11:25 AM
LOL

I never used to shave in winter... til I started cycling! Now vanity means I shave in winter too because I don't want my racing number written on my leg whe its covered in hair!

As for make-up --- even lipstick?
I am still amazed at the number of women in our club who wear makeup to races - not just lippy, but eyeshadow, mascara and one even pops glitter on her cheeks.

Of course, they don't arrive at the finish line looking quite so decorated, so the point of wearing makeup really defeats me.

tprevost
02-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I am a TOMBOY through and through and generally dress ghetto. Except for my awesome sugoi shorts. If I buy a shirt it's at Target or the Goodwill.

I don't do dresses. I never played with dolls. I have six older brothers which explains a lot.

pink is good.... :p I've got a white bike but it has pink hubs and a pink headset... its purdy!

caligurl
02-07-2007, 06:52 AM

hmmmmmmm i'd be more than willing to take that gorgeous pink bike off your hands if you want to go back to the tomby persona!!! http://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/149.gif

CyclChyk
02-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Ok I guess I fit the priss catagory - I shave my legs and pits - even bikini line. (Not becuase of rash clean up, but because leg hair is GROSS) I wear makeup (light) in everyday life - but I do not put it on special for bike rides. I wear pink, even when I'm riding. I would NEVER snot rocket; I color coordinate, on and off the bike. I use deodorant and perfume. I love pedicures and manicures and facials - but I don't do any of this in prep for a bike ride. I keep my hair long so I won't look like a boy - I like skirts and skimpy dresses.....

God I am such a girl........................:eek:

Kitsune06
02-09-2007, 04:01 PM
My jacket, helmet and gloves all match my bike...
Glitter, though...
My friends used to call glitter "raver herpes" because... it never goes away. You'll think, after a thorough cleanup that it'l lbe gone, then months later, there it is again. :rolleyes:

mimitabby
02-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Ok I guess I fit the priss catagory - I shave my legs and pits - even bikini line. (Not becuase of rash clean up, but because leg hair is GROSS) I wear makeup (light) in everyday life - but I do not put it on special for bike rides. I wear pink, even when I'm riding. I would NEVER snot rocket; I color coordinate, on and off the bike. I use deodorant and perfume. I love pedicures and manicures and facials - but I don't do any of this in prep for a bike ride. I keep my hair long so I won't look like a boy - I like skirts and skimpy dresses.....

God I am such a girl........................:eek:

okay, CyclChyk said it so well, so I will just change what she said to fit me.
I guess i fit the tomboy category, I shaved my legs two or three times before I became an adult. I shaved my armpit hairs longer, but then noticed, sheesh, there's hardly any hair there, why bother? Besides, the only time i am ever sleeveless is when i'm in the pool, maybe 2x a year. I do not worry about bikini lines. heck i only have a stupid little bit of hair THERE too. bush would be much too strong a word. I do not wear makeup. Sometimes I put on lipstick and realize i don't even remember how to do it, so I bag it. My mother and grandmothers were not big makeup people either.
I do like to color coordinate (you know, orange and orange, or maybe matching my DH on a tandem)
I do use deodorant when necessary, and do not own perfume.
I've never had a pedicure or a manicure unless you count the time a gal in the mall grabbed my hand and buffed ONE finger. (that was cool while it lasted)
I DO NOT do snot rockets, I always carry colorful handerchiefs for that purpose. THAT grosses me out.
I used to keep my hair long so i didn't look like a boy, now it's gotten thinner (hm, there's a trend here, I have THIN HAIR!) it's shorter...

I yam what I yam.

Tuckervill
02-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I didn't have my first mani-pedi until I was well over 40. I now have them when I get desperate, like after I've put in the garden, or it's winter time and my hands are really dry. So it's not like I'm a total priss.

But I recommend you just once get a mani-pedi, just for the luxury of soaking your feet and sitting in a warm massage chair, and coming out ready for a close-up. :) Yum.

Karen

CyclChyk
02-09-2007, 05:07 PM
My first pedicure was when I was 35 or so; my first facial I was about 32; and my first manicure I was about 37. I hate massages - but facials and pedicures are SOOOOOOOO relaxing. I can't relax for poop so these things make it possible to relax. Not to mention they make me feel feminine. And pampered.

I shave cuz I don't have the luxury of non-existant hair or light hair. IF I don't shave I look like a guy and it grows so fast that I have to shave at least every other day. I wear perfume cuz I like the smell............plus I fear body odor even tho I do not appear to have it.

Oh, and I cry at the drop of a hat.........

But boy do I have biking scars..... oh yeh, I can get rough.........

Crankin
02-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Why is it "prissy" to like manicures or pedicures, shave, etc? I know some will say woman are trying to adhere to someone else's idea of beauty, but why isn't it OK to like these things and also OK to not like them? I doubt anyone who knows me would call me prissy, but by some of the standards here, I would be a major priss! I wear make up. Not especially for cycling, like get up in the morning for a ride and put make up on, but like, I wear it every day in real life. I shave. I usually have nail polish on, do it myself, but have been known to get a manicure and or pedicure a few times a year. I love massages and so does my husband. I go when my muscles are really sore, like after a very tough or long ride. I wear skirts, pants, and dresses. I love fashion. I used to never wear pants to work because I had trouble finding them in my size (petites) but now I do wear them about half the time. OK, so shoot me. On the other hand, I don't mind getting dirty, snot rockets, or peeing (or more) in the woods. I didn't cry when I crashed recently (OK, I swore a bit) and I wear my road rash proudly. Mountain biking is scary to me only because at age 53, I don't really relish the thought of getting hurt, but yet I will keep trying to get over my fear. My cycling friends probably think these qualities are "normal" and my "other" friends think what I do is freakish. Sometimes people are a little surprised when they find out I like the "dirty" and tough aspects of sports, because this probably isn't the image I'm giving off in a professional or social situation. But all of these things are part of who I am and I don't think that I have to explain or justify any of it.

mimitabby
02-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Why is it "prissy" to like manicures or pedicures, shave, etc? I know some will say woman are trying to adhere to someone else's idea of beauty, but why isn't it OK to like these things and also OK to not like them? I doubt anyone who knows me would call me prissy, but by some of the standards here, I would be a major priss! I wear make up. Not especially for cycling, like get up in the morning for a ride and put make up on, but like, I wear it every day in real life. I shave. I usually have nail polish on, do it myself, but have been known to get a manicure and or pedicure a few times a year. I love massages and so does my husband. I go when my muscles are really sore, like after a very tough or long ride. I wear skirts, pants, and dresses. I love fashion. I used to never wear pants to work because I had trouble finding them in my size (petites) but now I do wear them about half the time. OK, so shoot me. On the other hand, I don't mind getting dirty, snot rockets, or peeing (or more) in the woods. I didn't cry when I crashed recently (OK, I swore a bit) and I wear my road rash proudly. Mountain biking is scary to me only because at age 53, I don't really relish the thought of getting hurt, but yet I will keep trying to get over my fear. My cycling friends probably think these qualities are "normal" and my "other" friends think what I do is freakish. Sometimes people are a little surprised when they find out I like the "dirty" and tough aspects of sports, because this probably isn't the image I'm giving off in a professional or social situation. But all of these things are part of who I am and I don't think that I have to explain or justify any of it.

Robyn, it's not a value judgement, we just are noticing that some of us tend to be more one than the other. Prissy might not be the term I would have used, but I didn't start the thread. What I see here is a wonderful spectrum of all kinds of women who all like to ride bikes, some leaving snot rockets, some carefully blowing their noses.
So enjoy what you are, and if you don't want to talk about it (which obviously is not the case or you wouldn't have posted :D ) don't talk about it.

Crankin
02-10-2007, 07:00 AM
I didn't think that people _here_ were making value judgements. I do think that in general, though, most of the world does. And you're right, prissy doesn't seem to be the right word for this. Everyone has a different tolerance for some of the "grosser" things in life. Mine is pretty high, despite my outwardly prissy appearance. I think that's what I was trying to say. Most of the woman I've ridden with fall across a very wide spectrum on the prissy scale.
Just don't take my make up away... (kidding ,everyone)

CyclChyk
02-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Trust me when I say you don't want to take my make up away and I am NOT kidding :D ! I am definately not one of those "looks real good" in the morning chicks.......

Does farting :eek: negate the "priss" factor? Just wondering.............

CyclingKat
02-10-2007, 05:20 PM
I think "too prissy" would mean that your hobby is shopping or lounging around the pool talking on a jewel-bedecked cell phone (pink)! And here here for matching socks and jerseys -- isn't that part of the fun of the whole thing? I'm a roadie at heart -- just got into mountain biking two months and had my first concussion and ambulance ride to show for it last week. (don't need to repeat that experience!) But I'm proud to say that my socks and my jersey matched. I looked good even though my riding sucked!

horsemom
02-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I worked for many years in a 'man's' field--I was a horseshoer. At 5'8" and of muscular build, I worried about seeming manish, but my DH has assured me that I am not! In addition to always being shaven (I am dark haired, and while not 'hairy' it seems more feminine to be shaven) I have worn makeup almost every day of my life since the age of 14. I wear mascara and some maybe some blush. I have been known to put lipstick on during a race, just before I reach the check or finish....All that said, I think I am tough as nails - can mtbike, ride a horse in a 100 mile race, do a tri, shoe a horse, climb a tree. AND, I love pink!!!

Glad we are all different--give me a group hug!!!!

Laura