PDA

View Full Version : My clipless update.

Tri'ing Hard
06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Well, it seems that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have been practicing and feel pretty confident with the clipless pedals.

Now I just have to get over my fear of the road. One of the gals in our training group is putting together some rides at 5:30 on friday mornings.

Thanks for the advice.

Hillhugger
06-05-2004, 03:51 PM
I had a hard time at the beginning as well, but now I'm getting better at it. It took me a while too to get out into the traffic. I was always concerned that I wouldn't get me feet out off the clips fast enough...

But now I love it!!!

See you!

paintgirl
06-06-2004, 05:41 AM
I too have seemingly mastered these clipless pedals. I have been cycling actively for a few years, and kept toying with trying them. I had only one embarrasing painful crash, unwitnessed thankfully.I hadn't been on my bike for 8 days, I had a nasty flu? respiratory thing, and still have one ear blocked, that, combined with what seemed like never ending rain here in N Ontario, kept me indoors. The last 3 days here have been beautiful, 22 degrees C, sun !! so I got back on the bike Friday, and huffed and puffed up hills that normally only cause a bit of effort, you sure lose your aerobic fitness, endurance whatever with inactivity and illness. anyway, I seemed to have forgotten all about worrying re clipping in/out, and realised 3/4 of the way home that I was doing just fine. So today I'll hope to get a longer ride in, and because I've mentioned "mastering" the pedals, will probably do a dumb crash, but it is so great to feel almost well and be back in the saddle, might even be able to play ball hockey tonight. Hello spring, blackflies, I love the sun Lori

bounceswoosh
06-06-2004, 07:53 AM
Tri'ing hard:

Which cleat are you using? If you're using a Shimano system, there are 55s and 51s -- the 55s are much easier to yank out when you're in a hurry.

Tri'ing Hard
06-06-2004, 04:38 PM
monique,

I actually have Time pedals and cleats. My LBS could not order the Shimano's for me. I was told Shimano under estimated demand this year. I don't know how accurate that is though.

Cheryl

bounceswoosh
06-06-2004, 10:05 PM
I've heard good things about the Times. Maybe they have similar designations for some of their cleats?

Sounds like you have it under control, anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Tri'ing Hard
06-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Just when I thought it was under control...I fell again. To get to the area I wanted to ride, I had to go by a school and there was a ton of traffic. I unclipped one shoe and almost fell, I thought I had it under control, but then down I went. I have one nasty "owie" on my left kneee. It is mostly on the surface, so not too bad. I think I forgot to hop off my seat. Oh well, I guess it just takes time.:)

As far as the Time cleats and pedals, the LBS guy tried to loosen up the cleats, but there wasn't a spot to loosen like on the Shimanos.:confused:

Can you tell I am a newbie?

Cheryl:D

Biking Chick
06-10-2004, 05:00 AM
Going to clipless pedals was certainly a major accomplishment in my cycling journey! I've taken my share of spills including one slow speed spill on my mountain bike as I was coasting to a stop. Who knew that the bike would end up leaning the opposite of what I had anticipated???

I unclip well in advance of stop signs, traffic lights etc ... then have to concentrate on NOT clipping back into the pedals! After using clipless for over four years it is second nature to clip in.

I also practice what I call 'panic stops' ... unclipping from both pedals at the same time.

Upgrading to clipless is not only something new to learn just like learning to take my bottle from my bottle cage, drink and get it back in the cage all while pedaling and watching where I'm going! It is a mental thing ... not letting myself get all hung up mentally about the fact that my shoes are clipped into the pedals and static. If you keep thinking about that you'll get yourself physc'd out. It is harder to unclip when you are slowing down than it is when you have a bit more speed ... I think some of that is again due to thinking about stop, not being able to unclip immediately and feeling that panic.

We have Shimano on all of our bikes so I can't address Look pedals. If the LBS can't help you adjust the Look's I would get on their web site and either call (has to be a toll free number) or email them and ask for some assistance.

We should all give ourselves a pat on the back for learning a new skill! Way to go ladies

Cindy
Ride Like A Girl!

JanT
06-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Cheryl, here's a summary of my experience with clipless pedals. During a mountain biking class I took as a newbie, the instructor constantly encouraged us to try clipless. After awhile, I got tired of my bear traps dragging and snagging on rocks before I got the pedal flipped over. This was really messing me up on the rocky Phoenix downhills. However, I had learned early on that without something to hold your feet on the pedals, you could have a nasty, painful experience when bounced off the pedals. So I bought the TIMES, which the teacher had extolled and others at MTB.com said were so great. However, even after a year, I didn't feel they loosened up much, and I still was having occasions when I ended up on the ground because I couldn't get unclipped in time to save myself. A friend with a similar shoe size offered to let me test drive his Shimano clips, and I was amazed at how easy it was to get in and out. I went straight to the LBS and bought shimano pedals, and have rarely had a problem since. Now I can ride through rock gardens clipped in on both sides, which gives me better control. (I had been unclipping one foot, in anticipation of not being able to unclip in time.) The difference between the Shimano and the TIMES is that the Shimano pedals have adjustable tension, whereas the TIMES do not. If you ride in the mud alot, maybe the TIMES are worth getting used to, as they are good at shedding much and don't get so clogged up. However, if you live in a dry climate, you might consider making the switch if the TIMES don't work for you. Don't give up on the clipless! The power and control that they provide is worth the effort of learning to use them. Good luck, and have fun!

hibiscus09
06-24-2004, 02:20 PM
I have Speedplays and love them. I seem to be able to get in and out of them in cases of emergency -- so I guess I think fast in those situations. I've yet to have a bad fall on my bike, but I'm constantly fearing one! LOL

I am pretty athletic but am STILL (aggghhhh!) apprehensive about joining in on group rides in our local cycling club. What's the deal with that? LOL I guess I need to get out and assert myself, because I'm sure this is a much more fun activity when you have people to ride with!

pedalfaster
06-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by hibiscus09
I am pretty athletic but am STILL (aggghhhh!) apprehensive about joining in on group rides in our local cycling club. What's the deal with that? LOL I guess I need to get out and assert myself, because I'm sure this is a much more fun activity when you have people to ride with!

You're right; cycling is a social sport. Go on out and make some cycling-friends. Most clubs welcome beginners, and most are very very happy to see women picking up the sport. You might contact the club or LBS and ask about the rides. Most clubs have "a", "b" and "c" rides. The "c" rides can be pretty darn social, often ridden at "talking" pace and might even include a breakfast or lunch stop (be sure to put a few $$$ in your seatbag!).

:)

caligurl
06-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Tri'ing Hard
Well, it seems that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have been practicing and feel pretty confident with the clipless pedals.

Now I just have to get over my fear of the road. One of the gals in our training group is putting together some rides at 5:30 on friday mornings.

Thanks for the advice.

hi! i'm a newbie too! just got my road bike sunday. i got it with clipless pedals (and promptly fell before i even rode it out of the driveway!)

i do fine (knock on wood) driving the neighborhood.. but i'm scared to death of the highway.. which is where hubby and his friends ride to get miles in!

how do i get over my fear of the highway? or is it just a time thing and i need to continue with neighborhood side streets in the mean time?

cathleen
06-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by caligurl

how do i get over my fear of the highway? or is it just a time thing and i need to continue with neighborhood side streets in the mean time?

Hi Caligurl, I'm a newbie too, and I don't know... riding on highways sounds scary to me!

Maybe if you want milage, but you're scared of the highway (don't blame ya!) county or country roads, (paved) can be good. See some nice cows instead of SUVs. :D

caligurl
07-01-2004, 07:05 AM
the only problem is.. we live in the middle of nowhere.. in the desert actually... so there is the highway that goes through town.. and that is where hubby and his friends go to get their mileage.. either further out into the nowhere.. or toward the next town...

i guess i'll just have to ride the neighborhoods and cross the highway to get to other parts of town!

once i get good enough that i can climb some.. i can go into the national park... at least the speed limit is lower.. but the roads are still narrow..

i'm just a big scaredy cat right now!

emily_in_nc
07-01-2004, 09:13 AM
You'll get braver...I've been there and know exactly how you feel. Now I'll ride most anywhere - cities, low-traffic highways, etc. Just do what you're comfortable with now, and as you become more experienced, you'll progress.

If you don't have one already, you should consider investing in a rear-view mirror. I wouldn't ride without one. It helps so much to see what's coming up behind you without having to look over your shoulder (and risk swerving farther into the lane). I love the Take-a-Look mirror that hooks to my biking sunglasses. Once in place, it stays there, and adjusted properly, gives a great rear view. I believe you can order one right here through Team E!

Emily

Biking Chick
07-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by emily_in_nc
If you don't have one already, you should consider investing in a rear-view mirror. I wouldn't ride without one. It helps so much to see what's coming up behind you without having to look over your shoulder (and risk swerving farther into the lane).

I agree with Emily ... give yourself some time to get use to being out on your bike. Before you know it you'll be a confident and competent rider.

I never leave for a ride without my mirror. I've tried a number of different mirrors from the kind that mount on the bike to the ones on the glasses but finally settled on one of the mirrors from Third Eye. I like the ones that are adjustable, attach to your helmet with industrial strength velcro. My husband has the mirror that attaches to the bar end of the handlebars ... I don't like having to look down to check my mirror.

Cindy

Tri'ing Hard
07-03-2004, 08:16 AM
So far, so good. The more I ride, the more comfortable I feel. I did check with Time, the manufacturer of my pedals and you can't adjust the tension on my pedals (Impact).

We went to watch a local Tri this past weekend and it was amazing to watch the riders unclip. They are so fast and have so much balance. I could only dream of having half their skill.

Thanks for all of the support.