PDA

View Full Version : opinions: klein palomino?

bounceswoosh
06-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Well, this person ran over my Trek Fuel 90, so I need to get a new mountain bike.

I've tried the Fisher Cake (top tube on the small touched my crotch, so no go), Kona Kikapu Deluxe (they were out of Kings and seem to be so for the rest of the year), Canondale Jekyll 800 w/Lefty, Giant NRS, and Klein Palomino 5.

I really liked the Klein. It fit well, it felt nimble, I just liked it. If I were to get it, it's possible I'd go for the 15, which has full XT and shimano discs instead of hayes, and also a better fork.

Anyway, thoughts? Anyone had good or bad experiences to report?

Veronica
06-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Someone ran over your bike?!!!?:mad:

Have you looked at Specialized? We're thinking about the Epics.

Specialized Epic (http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?sid=04Epic&JServSessionIdroot=yo9541npxw.j27008)

Veronica

bounceswoosh
06-04-2004, 08:00 PM
I rode a specialized last year to compare to the Trek, and I didn't care for it. I might feel different now that I actually know what I'm looking for ... but I'm strongly leaning towards renting the Klein tomorrow and trying it out on the trail, then applying the price of the rental to the bike, assuming it works out, of course.

It sounds like the woman who did this is disputing the matter ... I'm not going to wait several months to get insurance payment.

Veronica
06-05-2004, 04:41 AM
What a bummer! Hopefully it will all work out in the end. Have fun on your ride.

Veronica

bounceswoosh
06-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Thank you!

Yeah, I wasn't exactly planning on spending the cost of a new bike any time soon ... on the other hand, now that I'm riding every day, and thinking about possibly racing, there's no way I'm buying a bike cheaper than what I had.

The frame on my old bike would have lasted me a good long while. Sigh.

I just don't understand why people can't take responsibility for their own actions. As I heard it, this person told the police that she only ran over a "tire." So I brought the bike in to show otherwise -- happy to do so.

The police seem sympathetic. I really hope I don't have to go to court for this, and that the person who was nice enough to agree to be a witness doesn't, either, but I sure as hell will. If the driver had just fessed up, been apologetic, and made arrangements to pay on the spot, I might never have gotten her insurance involved, let alone the police. The more she fights this, the more of everyone's time and money she wastes.

Irulan
06-05-2004, 05:58 AM
monique... you KNOW what I am going to say: ride lots until THE ONE speaks to you and says... "you mus thave me, and no other'

I've ridden some other Kleins, and man they are smooth. I didn't buy it becuase the geomeotry seems a little more aggro (laid out, race style ) than I was used to at the time, but I sure would reconsider now.

Factor the shop and how they treat you into the equation.

penny

bounceswoosh
06-05-2004, 06:53 AM
Yup. I think this bike is "the one" -- and the shop will let me rent it out for the day to test it on some real trails. That'll be a much better guage than riding it around the shop, where I was warned not to ride in the grass because the goatheads will give me an instant flat.

It didn't feel "aggro" to me necessarily -- actually, I was starting to feel that my Trek had me a bit too upright, and my wrists were bent upward quite a bit. So the angle on the seatpost gives me just a smidge more room to make it comfy again.

Irulan
06-05-2004, 06:58 AM
awesome.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:

bounceswoosh
06-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Well, I test rode the Palomino two days in a row on local trails. Conclusion: the shifting just didn't work. The front derailleur bobs with the rear suspension, which meant that I couldn't shift at all with the rear shock set for my weight -- doubling its settings, I could shift maybe half the time.

The bike shop said this was purely a problem with the demo bike, but they didn't have other demo bikes to try and I'm not going to buy a bike after that kind of experience.

It's really too bad -- it was a great ride otherwise, and it would have been nice to have a bike again.

That's okay, though -- I may have found another bike that's on clearance because it's last year's model. We'll see.

jobob
06-07-2004, 06:08 AM
The bike shop said this was purely a problem with the demo bike Oh puhleeze :rolleyes:. I'm so glad you didn't accept that.

That's right up there with that other all-too-common LBS line, "Oh, it may feel wierd (uncomfortable/awkward/painful) now, but you'll get used to it" :p :p :p

Best of luck in your search!