PDA

View Full Version : Any diff in tubes?

SouthernBelle
01-28-2007, 04:25 AM
Is there any real difference in different brands of tubes?

Will be picking up some new tubes to go with my new contis, plus a couple of backups.

Inquiring minds, and all that.

MomOnBike
01-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Well, to hear (read?) the techno-geeks over on the recumbent forum tell it, there are differences in tubes worthy of extended threads.

For mere mortals, however it's a simple Yes - and No.

Thorn-proof/resistant tubes are heavier and less likely to leak in the presence of thorns. I've not cared to look hard enough to see a difference in non-thorn-proof tubes. Mostly, I'm just grab a tube or three off the shelf at the LBS and don't worry much about it. Works for me, and my little world hasn't blown up yet.

Batbike
01-29-2007, 05:09 AM
Is there any real difference in different brands of tubes?

Here's what little I know about tubes:

There are thorn resistant, light weight tubes and "normal weight tubes", with the thorn resistent being VERY heavy and the light weight being thinner rubber for less weight. Thorn resistant is great if you worry about flats and don't care about weight; light weight tubes are great for reducing rotational weight, thus climbing better, but are not as durable as thorn or "normal weight" (pvc?) tubes.

Now, as for brands -- some brands are ACTUALLY better because of how the stem is put into tube. This is especially true with light weight tubes and longer stems -- a combo of thinner rubber and more stem flex, causing more tears at stem and flattening tubes. Specialized tubes swear they have "fixed" this problem, but I have not tried the tubes, yet, sounds like it would be worth trying. Personally, I have found Michelin, Kendra, and Continental tubes good at stem strength. Also, I have changed from light weight to normal weight because of the stem flex issue (I have yet to figure-out how NOT to flatten a tube at stem, no matter what I use, after many times of inflating).

After writing this, makes me wonder, do others have stem tear issues on their tubes? Is there really a tube that prevents this? Is the Specialized as good as they say? :confused:

Sorry, doesn't sound like I have helped. May have just created more problems for myself! :rolleyes: :o

SouthernBelle
01-29-2007, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure what brand tubes came on the bike, but I always felt a little uncomfortable with how flimsy the stems felt. When I aired them up I always felt like I was going to break them off. But never had them separate. The one I just installed is a Kenda, and I'm much happier with it. For my purposes the middle road is probably best. No thorns, but often some rough country roads.

Trekhawk
01-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Here's what little I know about tubes:

There are thorn resistant, light weight tubes and "normal weight tubes", with the thorn resistent being VERY heavy and the light weight being thinner rubber for less weight. Thorn resistant is great if you worry about flats and don't care about weight; light weight tubes are great for reducing rotational weight, thus climbing better, but are not as durable as thorn or "normal weight" (pvc?) tubes.

Now, as for brands -- some brands are ACTUALLY better because of how the stem is put into tube. This is especially true with light weight tubes and longer stems -- a combo of thinner rubber and more stem flex, causing more tears at stem and flattening tubes. Specialized tubes swear they have "fixed" this problem, but I have not tried the tubes, yet, sounds like it would be worth trying. Personally, I have found Michelin, Kendra, and Continental tubes good at stem strength. Also, I have changed from light weight to normal weight because of the stem flex issue (I have yet to figure-out how NOT to flatten a tube at stem, no matter what I use, after many times of inflating).

After writing this, makes me wonder, do others have stem tear issues on their tubes? Is there really a tube that prevents this? Is the Specialized as good as they say? :confused:

Sorry, doesn't sound like I have helped. May have just created more problems for myself! :rolleyes: :o

The tubes I get from my LBS are Specialized. I use Specialized on both road bikes and my mountain bike and have had no problems with stem tears. They seem to work just fine for me.:)

SouthernBelle
01-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I need to get the tube I tossed out of the trash & check for a name. I know I don't want to buy it again.

Batbike
01-29-2007, 09:01 AM
The tubes I get from my LBS are Specialized. I use Specialized on both road bikes and my mountain bike and have had no problems with stem tears. They seem to work just fine for me.:)

GOOD to hear! Next tube I buy will be a Specialized. :)

aicabsolut
01-30-2007, 07:54 AM
I've had 2 Specialized tubes go due to stem tears. One exploded when I was blowing it up. The other caused a slow leak that led to a pinch flat on the road. On one replacement, the stem tip broke off when I was pumping it up.

I've been using Bontrager since then, and no problems so far.

Batbike
01-30-2007, 08:30 AM
I've had 2 Specialized tubes go due to stem tears. One exploded when I was blowing it up. The other caused a slow leak that led to a pinch flat on the road. On one replacement, the stem tip broke off when I was pumping it up.

I've been using Bontrager since then, and no problems so far.

YES! that is EXACTLY what I experience! Supposedly Specialized has "just fixed" this problem with their new tubes -- makes you wonder if that is true! I just hate to spend extra money on a "better product" only to have the same problem surface. Good to know about Bontrager.

aicabsolut
01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Any idea when this fix occured? Don't know how long the one dud replacement tube had been on the shelf, but my bike (came with S tubes) is only a few months old. Is it an '07 fix?

Batbike
01-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Any idea when this fix occured? Don't know how long the one dud replacement tube had been on the shelf, but my bike (came with S tubes) is only a few months old. Is it an '07 fix?

Yes, I believe it is an '07 fix ... got the info from my LBS.