PDA

View Full Version : Hernia?

kelownagirl
01-27-2007, 11:40 AM
About 8 years ago, I was sitting in the car, seatbelt on, and I twisted back to give my son his soother. I had to twist really far, and felt someting kind of pop just under my rib cage. Something was pushing out, just slightly to the left of the place where the two sides of my ribcage meet, and I felt pressure and very mild pain. I managed to push the bump back down and for a few days, the area was tender. I mentioned it to my doctor a few months later and she just shrugged it off.

I have been finding that lately, when I do a workout, especially crunches or other ab exercises, it feels like it might happen again, and few times it has. The other night, I had done a bunch of crunches, and the pulled my knees up to do bicycle ones, and the darn thing opped out again. Had to push it back and then carefully roll over so it wouldn't happen again.

This is annoying and I want to do my workouts. I have done internet searches and can't find any info, other than possibly a hernia, but it looks like ones in that area, are very rare.

Anyone else have this happen?

KnottedYet
01-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I would think a visit to your doc may be in order.

kelownagirl
01-27-2007, 12:10 PM
yeah, I should have prefaced that with "I'm going to the doctor, again". Think I will try someone else at the clinic though, since my regular doctor didn't know what it could be.

Wahine
01-27-2007, 12:38 PM
About 8 years ago, I was sitting in the car, seatbelt on, and I twisted back to give my son his soother. I had to twist really far, and felt someting kind of pop just under my rib cage. Something was pushing out, just slightly to the left of the place where the two sides of my ribcage meet, and I felt pressure and very mild pain. I managed to push the bump back down and for a few days, the area was tender. I mentioned it to my doctor a few months later and she just shrugged it off.

I have been finding that lately, when I do a workout, especially crunches or other ab exercises, it feels like it might happen again, and few times it has. The other night, I had done a bunch of crunches, and the pulled my knees up to do bicycle ones, and the darn thing opped out again. Had to push it back and then carefully roll over so it wouldn't happen again.

This is annoying and I want to do my workouts. I have done internet searches and can't find any info, other than possibly a hernia, but it looks like ones in that area, are very rare.

The MOI (mechanism of injury) is not suggestive of a hernia. It is more likely a subluxation of a costochondral joint, or costosternal joint. These are the joints that make the transition form rib to cartilage and from cartilage to sternum. They are at the front of your body along the midline, near the breastbone and also father out from the mid-line about an inch or two from the breast bone. The lower ones (the ones that are even lower than your breast bone) are farther out form the midline than the upper ones and tend to sublux more often. If it is one of these subluxations, the popped out bit will be firm or hard and should be localized to the areas I described.

A hernia on the other hand is more likely to be in areas where muscle joins to the rib cage or along the abdomenal mid line. The popped out bit is usually much softer.

You should go see the MD. If it's not a hernia there is not much the MD can do. If it is, it may mean surgery. If it's a rib issue, which is what I would suspect, I would go to a PT and see if they can teach you how to tape it. It just so happens that I have a very good friend that lives in Vernon that is a PT and I could refer you to her if you like. She is highly skilled.

Let us know how things turn out.

kelownagirl
01-27-2007, 12:46 PM
The MOI (mechanism of injury) is not suggestive of a hernia. It is more likely a subluxation of a costochondral joint, or costosternal joint.

Yeah, that was my other idea. :rolleyes: :p

Just kidding, honestly thanks Wahine, what you say makes sense. I do remember, way back when, reading about the rib itself doing what you said and thinking it might be something like that. Next time it does it, I will pay more attention to how hard it is. I do think it's fairly hard though.

I am off to read about "subluxation of a costochondral joint".

RoadRaven
01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Think I will try someone else at the clinic though, since my regular doctor didn't know what it could be.

YUP!!! Darn good idea!!!
Def get a second opinion - your doctor should be recommending a second opinion...